Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all newbie here needing some advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. My name's leon I'm 44 and I currently work on the railway. After many years of this I've decided that I want a career change and plumbing / gas central heating could b a good move I think. My question is, is it a good move at my age. Can i learn something like this over a year. I can go part time and learn in the week. Whitch cource is best I've looked at some private courses and they are expensive but if it gets me into a good career it's worth it. And of cource what's the chances of obtaining employment after completing a cource. I know u probably get asked this a lot but it's a v big move for me and I need to be sure.
Thx all in advance for any advice

Hi Leon, in answer to your questions, it could be a good move depends on the job availably in your area, No its not something you can learn in a year think more like 5 if you want to do gas, chances of being employed are very low with little or no experience. and you will be starting on min wage, there is a lot of completion for jobs in this field even guys with years of experience find it difficult. Maybe think about other trades e.g. Tiling / Plasterer are earning more than plumbers and training for these is a lot less + you don't need to resit exams every 5 years

Loads of competition from builders, and wannabe plumbers nowadays.
You would be better installing bathrooms, - and that's only if you can learn how to do pipework properly and other associated work. That would really take a few years experience alone, if you haven't already some.
What sort of money do you earn on the railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi all newbie here needing some advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping someone can help. Our dishwasher is leaking and the manual says this can be fixed by cleaning the water inlet filter. To do this, we need to close the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All. I am trying to locate the stopcock in my property. After a good few hours searching I think I may have found it - but would like some advice from plumbers / DIY experts. Is what I have found actually a stopcock? Can you take a look at the pictures attached and tell me what you think? I...
Replies
Views
Hi I'd be very grateful for any advice. My Ariston microGenus boiler is at least 20 years old. Every few years I've had to repressurize it. I've lost the note I had about how to do that. The boiler has two blue taps underneath. The rhs one turns clockwise. The lhs one is so stiff I can't move...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock