Search the forum,

Discuss Hi All, New Forum Member in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,
Thought I would drop a quick intro as I have just joined the forum ( after a few months lurking). I'm currently half way through my Gas course, having decided on a career change a bit later in life than most, and have been enjoying the challenge so far. I have been reading as much as I can and found the explanations to the variety of questions posted on this forum an excellent resource to understand "real life" issues.
Hopefully, at some point in the future, I'll be able to contribute to the forum other than keep asking all the inevitable questions!
Many thanks.

hello and welcome kwak

Good lad brilliant, I did the very same, was tough though, I won’t say it wasn’t but very rewarding in the long run, you gotta put the mileage in.
What you gonna do when you pass the course? Look for a job at a firm or go it alone?

Hi Stu, thanks for asking, good to hear that it's worked for you and it can be done.
The plan is to go out on my own although I do realise I'm at the very start of long steep learning curve. After many years of working in a corporate environment I'm attracted to the variety and flexibility that the role will (hopefully!!) bring. I intend to be sensible with the workload, taking jobs that will stretch and challenge me without biting off more than can I chew........that's the plan so far.
The old adage of " How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" seems pretty fitting at this stage of my learning but I am enjoying the training and researching the various subjects.
Thanks again for asking, appreciate it đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Hi Stu, thanks for asking, good to hear that it's worked for you and it can be done.
The plan is to go out on my own although I do realise I'm at the very start of long steep learning curve. After many years of working in a corporate environment I'm attracted to the variety and flexibility that the role will (hopefully!!) bring. I intend to be sensible with the workload, taking jobs that will stretch and challenge me without biting off more than can I chew....that's the plan so far.
The old adage of " How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" seems pretty fitting at this stage of my learning but I am enjoying the training and researching the various subjects.
Thanks again for asking, appreciate it đź‘Ť

Are you still at the training centre or have you got out on the tools yet? It was relatively straightforward for me as I’d always done construction work, I was an electrician who just fancied another feather in my cap so I’d got years of site work experience, the basics like taking floorboards up and drilling holes is the same for loads of trades. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Which training centre are you at?

Hi All,
Thought I would drop a quick intro as I have just joined the forum ( after a few months lurking). I'm currently half way through my Gas course, having decided on a career change a bit later in life than most, and have been enjoying the challenge so far. I have been reading as much as I can and found the explanations to the variety of questions posted on this forum an excellent resource to understand "real life" issues.
Hopefully, at some point in the future, I'll be able to contribute to the forum other than keep asking all the inevitable questions!
Many thanks.
Well done Kwak you have arrived at the right place. The members are a great mix of age, competance and experience. I learn things every week and we like new input be it questions or answers.
Starting out a bit later in life gives you an advantage anyway as you will appear more experienced and
ALWAYS remember that at job you are the expert. centralheatking

Are you still at the training centre or have you got out on the tools yet? It was relatively straightforward for me as I’d always done construction work, I was an electrician who just fancied another feather in my cap so I’d got years of site work experience, the basics like taking floorboards up and drilling holes is the same for loads of trades. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Which training centre are you at?

I'm currently still in training however once we return after the break I should be ready to start getting my portfolio sorted out. I'm training at Scots Gas Training in Stirling, can't fault the training I've had and glad I choose them over the other training centre I visited.
I would probably describe my background as a capable (by capable I mean that I'm prepared with towels and a bucket to mop up any leaks!) DIYer having fitted a few bathrooms & kitchens prior to starting on this course so I can usually find my way around most obstacles, obviously not to the extent of you guys on here.
Thanks again Stu for the welcome and taking the time to post.

Well done Kwak you have arrived at the right place. The members are a great mix of age, competance and experience. I learn things every week and we like new input be it questions or answers.
Starting out a bit later in life gives you an advantage anyway as you will appear more experienced and
ALWAYS remember that at job you are the expert. centralheatking

Hi centralheatingking, good advice thank you. Not sure I'll be able to support with many answers yet but without doubt I'll be able to come up with plenty of questions!! I must admit that going through the answers on various threads has helped me immensely, even if it does then lead to a load of research to get my head around it.

I'm currently still in training however once we return after the break I should be ready to start getting my portfolio sorted out. I'm training at Scots Gas Training in Stirling, can't fault the training I've had and glad I choose them over the other training centre I visited.
I would probably describe my background as a capable (by capable I mean that I'm prepared with towels and a bucket to mop up any leaks!) DIYer having fitted a few bathrooms & kitchens prior to starting on this course so I can usually find my way around most obstacles, obviously not to the extent of you guys on here.
Thanks again Stu for the welcome and taking the time to post.

Hi centralheatingking, good advice thank you. Not sure I'll be able to support with many answers yet but without doubt I'll be able to come up with plenty of questions!! I must admit that going through the answers on various threads has helped me immensely, even if it does then lead to a load of research to get my head around it.
Often the questions are better than the answers, the questions which ever way they are asked get us all thinking which is good...ask,away. chking

Reply to Hi All, New Forum Member in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock