Search the forum,

Discuss Here us why cheap pan connectors eventually leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
12A9E8A1-32AA-42AA-B8D5-2150B875BBD9.jpeg
We put a temporary cheapo pan connector on to test some drains. Today we removed the pan to put in the new floor. Look at the water left in the void space no wonder the rubbers rot away and leak ...multikwick all day long.
Centralheatking

Whats wrong with a brown connector, it is the same ID does not leak and was in the back of one of the vans ?
centralheatking
The plastic used for underground fittings & pipe does not have the same chemical make up as the above ground fittings & pipe, it does not have the same level of protection against the elements, especially UV protection from the sun. It breaks down much quicker than above ground drainage fittings, this is why it is much cheaper, and should not be used for above ground. Mind you, I suppose if the fitting in question will be cemented into the wall, it might be okay, but I for one, would certainly not recommend it.

The plastic used for underground fittings & pipe does not have the same chemical make up as the above ground fittings & pipe, it does not have the same level of protection against the elements, especially UV protection from the sun. It breaks down much quicker than above ground drainage fittings, this is why it is much cheaper, and should not be used for above ground. Mind you, I suppose if the fitting in question will be cemented into the wall, it might be okay, but I for one, would certainly not recommend it.
Exactly it will be totally enclosed within the cavity wall
and its all fitted, checked for leaks at high volume and done, there was never any question of price it was in one of the vans so I used it...thanks for the info....being honest as we live near the coast the scour of wind blown sand wears away grey and black pipe much more quickly than the brown colour ...and as it has a rough finish it is easy to repaint than the shiny black stuff...just my observations
centralheatking

Exactly it will be totally enclosed within the cavity wall
and its all fitted, checked for leaks at high volume and done, there was never any question of price it was in one of the vans so I used it...thanks for the info....being honest as we live near the coast the scour of wind blown sand wears away grey and black pipe much more quickly than the brown colour ...and as it has a rough finish it is easy to repaint than the shiny black stuff...just my observations
centralheatking
I would check with the manufacturer regarding it's suitability for being in contact with mortar, as that might effect the underground fittings, although I am not sure myself, because we have never get involved in underground drainage work.
I often see underground fittings where builders have got their levels wrong, and a bit of the initial bend is above ground level, and the fittings have completely lost their rubber seal and or seal retaining cap/cover, or it is badly corroded, due to UV damage, which can be a major problem because many of them are concreted into garden paths or patios. I hope I have been of some help, we all keep learning every day, and just about when we almost know it all, we retire. 10 more years and I'm out of here.

Reply to Here us why cheap pan connectors eventually leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock