Search the forum,

Discuss helpful advise on boiler casing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markythesparky

Had annual service today and fitter snaged boiler and dissconected it ,outside of the casing has a 10mm hole in the top caused by corrosion and it is leaking fumes which i understand . What i need to know is do i need a new boiler are can I get the hole repaired by bolting a plate over the hole and using an appropiate seal ,to seal it ,The hole is next to the top unused flue hole which has a bolted on cover plate, so the bolts that hold that could be utilised to hold a repair plate.Hope this is not a stupid question as I dont want to have a dangerous boiler.

it's immediately dangerous and to bolt a plate on it would be a bodge.

Defiantly new boiler time, it's your safety!

Totally agree. Not worth the risk.

Nothing can be patched but depending make , model and availability you might manage to purchase a casing but as far as patchwork it's a No No.

well if you have found a hole in the casing due to corrosion ,can you imagine what other corrosion and other dangerous faults that are present,you have been lucky no one was harmed...take your good fortune and invest it in a new boiler...and live a long happy life....

Nothing can be patched but depending make , model and availability you might manage to purchase a casing but as far as patchwork it's a No No.

Good idea Kris. Definitely worth asking around, but I'd want to know that whatever caused the corrosion had been fixed.

yes dripping drain off
thanks for you advise
next question a good make of a replacement for ideal classic ff250 lasted 20 years, are they still a good make as looking at the new ideal model the dimension and pipes have not changed much so would be a easier swap, need a rear flue due to position

Last edited by a moderator:
yes dripping drain off
thanks for you advise
next question a good make of a replacement for ideal classic ff250 lasted 20 years, are they still a good make as looking at the new ideal model the dimension and pipes have not changed much so would be a easier swap, need a rear flue due to position

I actually ripped one of those out today! The new ideals are great and they offer the rear flue outlet.

Yup ideal logic plus, no brainier. Although I don't hold much hope for many boilers lasting 20 years nowadays though. I reckon 15 well maintained.

Re-welding the car is not the issue.

Would you drive a car at 150 mph that is leaking CO into the cabin?

I would - as long as its an open top model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to helpful advise on boiler casing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
D
we had a grant condensing boiler fitted last year, the lad works for a heating company and said would fit it. when he did he put the pipes all through the flue hole of the last inside boiler we had copper pipes all laid on top of each other. there was an electrical cable running through a...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch 24Ri regular boiler (open vent) which is 10 years old. It has been pretty reliable with only one fault (the fan unit gave up after 9 years) in last 10 years. It's also had one new burner, rubber seals and electrodes changed in services. I have noted that it's best to...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock