Search the forum,

Discuss Help with radiatiors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dinkydog

Hi
So I'm faced with the typical fun of trying to change imperial size radiators to metric. After thinking I was really clever getting extension pieces, I've now just realised I've made the cardinal sin of thinking I could cheerfully replace singles to doubles without any extra hassle.

What I guess I'm asking is if there is any way to be able to make the pipework fit without having to rip up floorboards and change sections of piping (which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place - hence the extension pieces). Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm just trying to avoid having to drain the entire system and trash my house in the process. The largest gap is about 4 cm.

All help appreciated.
Thanks
Dinkydog

It's usually best to drain the system. Seems a hassle but it will do the system more good than harm, you'll have well fitted radiators, no worries about quantities of water crashing down during the changes, etc, etc. Drain down and re-fill usually takes maximum of 4 hours, usually nearer 2-3.

Radiators fitted with extensions, oddly bent pipes, extra elbows, etc look cheap, ugly and indicate a DIYer.

It really is worth doing properly, IMHO of course!

Looks Awful but a chrome male irone with chrome pipe

Thanks for that
I know I was hoping to avoid draining but I think I knew in my heart of hearts that this would be the case. Much appreciated for your help and advice.
All the best
Dinkydog

Hi
So I'm faced with the typical fun of trying to change imperial size radiators to metric. After thinking I was really clever getting extension pieces, I've now just realised I've made the cardinal sin of thinking I could cheerfully replace singles to doubles without any extra hassle.

What I guess I'm asking is if there is any way to be able to make the pipework fit without having to rip up floorboards and change sections of piping (which was what I was trying to avoid in the first place - hence the extension pieces). Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm just trying to avoid having to drain the entire system and trash my house in the process. The largest gap is about 4 cm.

All help appreciated.
Thanks
Dinkydog

you may find it easier in the long run to drain down the system

Definatly drain down, if you don't have the problem of laminate floors and tiles then as said just alter the pipework to suit. And then use the new cutout in the carpet to fill the old hole.

Extension pieces are okay ish if its just the short ones and the pipe is inline with the rad, don't use telescopic ones as they leak after 2 years.

you could always cut and put on a cupling, then offset pipes up to rads

elbows, bends or lift boards and repipe.

take advantage of the drain down to flush and add inhibitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with radiatiors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock