Search the forum,

Discuss Help with installing American Purchased Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

C

cylon007

We purchased a Delta Pilar Touch2O faucet and brought it into the UK to use in our new kitchen here. Our plumber told us that he would be able to install it after looking at the technical information but once he tried he realised that the threads in the US are different to in the UK.

I looked through the tech documents for this tap and can see that the water comes in through a 3/8"-24 UNEF fitting. I have been googling now for way too long trying to find something that would convert a UNEF thread into the 15mm BSP thread that is used in the UK and simply can't find anything. Has anyone got any information or pointers that could help me out?

Many thanks for any help that you can give me at all.

You will need a brass fitting which goes from your 3/8"-24 UNEF down to 1/2" NPSC (or NPT) male. Then you need a standard 1/2" BSP female x 15mm coupling to get to your 15mm pipe.

A 1/2" NPSC (or NPT) will just about go into a 1/2" BSP as the thread pitch is the same.

Alternatively if you can get a 3/8"-24 UNEF down to 1/2" copper compression it would do.

You probably want an engineers merchants rather than a plumbers merchants.

You could look online for a US dealer. Otherwise do you have any friends in the US who could send you one?

Post a picture. I may even have something here which would do your job - I have some spare US fittings which came with some catering stuff.

Otherwise have a look on fleabay! Allsorts there you may get lucky!

Such fittings do exist - it's just a matter of finding where to get them from!

You can only get 1/2" NPT or NPSC to marry up with BSP as it is only 1/2" size which have the same number of teeth per inch (14).

These guys may have something or may be able to point you in the right direction:

[DLMURL="http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/products/fittings/fittings.asp"]Tubing Connecters, Pipe Connectors and Fittings from Cole-Parmer[/DLMURL]

I think you may have written it down wrong - 3/8 - UNF is 24 teeth per inch and 3/8 UNEF - is 32 teeth per inch (Unified National Extra Fine btw). I would be very doubtful if the thread is UNEF as this is mainly used for precision equipment - the thread pitch is less than 1mm!

You can only marry up 1/2" NPT or NPSC to BSP as only 1/2" have the same number of teeth per inch (14).

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what also confused me - from the little research I did a UNEF thread should be 32, and not the 24 (which is UNF). However, the technical document from Delta definitely says 3/8"-24 UNEF. You can find the document linked below.

Product Documentation : Customer Support : Delta Faucet

I have also attached a photograph of the ends of the pipes.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 94
I found an adapter in the States supplied by Delta (the guys who made the tap) to take the 3/8" UNEF to 1/2 NPT - so hopefully this will solve my problem!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Easy way to tell - you can count the teeth per inch!

As to compatibility of NPSM and NPSC with BSP I can't say for sure but make sure you have 14 teeth per inch. The Americans have so many different thread sizes.

Last edited:
If I remember rightly from my pipefitting days npt or anpt (american national pipe thread) is the same as bsp upto 2" after that it is compleatly different.
Eco

If I remember rightly from my pipefitting days npt or anpt (american national pipe thread) is the same as bsp upto 2" after that it is compleatly different.
Eco

I agree on the 2" bit but just to correct the npt bit as its means national pipe taper i.e.
BSP - British standard Pipe
BSPT - British standard pipe taper
For the oil Guys
UNF - Unified national Fine
UNC - Unified Nation course

WHPES is spot on with the 14 TPI (threads per inch) I`m glad that its not just me who`s full of carp -- No offence ;)

I agree on the 2" bit but just to correct the npt bit as its means national pipe taper i.e.
BSP - British standard Pipe
BSPT - British standard pipe taper
For the oil Guys
UNF - Unified national Fine
UNC - Unified Nation course

WHPES is spot on with the 14 TPI (threads per inch) I`m glad that its not just me who`s full of carp -- No offence ;)[/QUOTE

I hang my head in shame!

Simple answer to your original problem, put the taps on e bay and buy uk standard fittings, surley their are some you like on one of the sheds.

Not all the thread sizes and pitches are the same between NPT and BSPT, so be careful. 1/2" is the same. I think 3/8" has different numbers of threads per inch.

While NPT threads are common in the United States, BSP threads are widely used in many other countries. I have found that my Japanese-built injection mold presses have predominantly BSP fittings.
BSPT -British Standard Pipe Taper
BSPP -British Standard Pipe Parallel
NPT -National Pipe Taper
NPS -National Pipe Straight

While the actual specified outside diameters of American National Pipe differ slightly from those of British Standard Pipe, either thread may reliably be cut onto a pipe of its respective trade size. BSPT and BSPP threads are analogous to NPT and NPS threads, respectively.

WARNING: Never, never try to mate a BSP fitting with an NPT or NPS fitting if the pressure holding capability is at all critical.

NPT/NPS and BSP threads are not compatible due to the differences in their thread forms, and not just the fact that most diametrical sizes have a different pitch. NPT/NPS threads have a 60° included angle and have flattened peaks and valleys (this is a Sellers thread form); BSP threads have a 55° included angle and have rounded peaks and valleys (this is a Whitworth thread form).

NPT and BSP thread pitches (threads per inch, TPI) are listed below. To determine pitch, use a thread gauge or count the number of threads that fall into a 1" span. Note that, strictly speaking, when we use threads per inch, we are actually specifying the inverse of the pitch, pitch being in units of [length] / [peak to peak]. Metric threads are usually specified in actual pitch, e.g., 1.5mm, 2.0mm, etc. This is the actual length of each thread, peak to peak. Although the term "pitch" is universally used, albeit loosely, to describe threads per inch, the actual pitch of a 1/4BSP fitting is really 1/19 inch, or 0.0526 inches.
Pipe Size Pitch (Threads/Inch)
NPT/NPS BSP
1/16" 27 ---
1/8" 27 28
1/4" 18 19
3/8" 18 19
1/2" 14 14
5/8" --- 14
NPT/NPS BSP
3/4" 14 14
1" 11 1/2 11
1 1/4" 11 1/2 11
1 1/2" 11 1/2 11
2" 11 1/2 11
2 1/2" 8 11
NPT/NPS BSP
3" 8 11
3 1/2" 8 11
4" 8 11
5" 8 11
6" 8 11
8" 8 ---

as it shows above bsp and npt are not the same, but at normal plumbing temp/ pressures up to 2" it can be mixed without a problem. If it was to be used in sizewell B on the reactor at 3000 bar then i would not mix the two different threads. Eco

Ah......takes me back to my engineering days. Remember something from the US referred to as NPSM. Can't remember what threadform that was. Mostly it was converting US to UK for imported machinery and we made our own nipples and couplings using good old fashoned lathes and taps and dies. The usual ones were BSP to NPSC and BSPT to NPT. (we didn't try and mate the two directly together as that isn't the done thing when QA people are watching!)

Hey Cylon007,

I see you found a connector for this :)

I am looking for a similar adaptor now only it's for a 9/16 UNEF to a BSP (15mm).

I am hoping that you could share with me the department at Delta that you have luck with.

Fingers crossed!

:smart:

I know this was 5 years ago for you guys, but did you manage to get the Delta tap working okay in the UK? Considering the same decision... Thanks!

Reply to Help with installing American Purchased Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock