Discuss Help with changing out wash hand basin and pedestal in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Hi - Im looking to change out my existing basin and pedestal in my bathroom. I have ripped everything out and capped off pipes, so I now have the hot and cold copper pipes and waster coming out the floor, when I try to fit the new basin and pedestal (with hole in bottom of pedestal), it doesn't fit. I need to move both pipes and waste back out by 4 inches or so. Was looking for some advice on the best way to move out the copper pipes, quite happy with the waste. I was thinking off cutting both pipes under the floor boards, then using 15mm PEX to connect onto Flexi tails. So I would have copper pipe fitting to PEX, then PEX onto Flexi tails, would this be OK to use compression fittings to fit plastic and copper together? and is this the best way to move pipes out. Thanks C

Corgi Direct - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
B

Burger

There’s no harm in using compression fittings for connecting pex and copper, nor using push fit fittings. You asked if this is the best way, I would personally apply a couple of offsets if possible. Any photo(s) to gain a better understanding?

centralheatking

Plumber
Reaction score
I would put one of those combined basin/cupboard units in so easy to hide pipework centralheatking

Ric2013

Plumber
Reaction score
If you're going to use PEX, you may as well go PEX right up to the tap and not bother with the flexi. It has enough give in it that you can shape it to fit and, over the length of a basin pedestal, it would be a very slight curve. Use a flexi if you like or if you need to though.

I suppose if you have mixer taps then it's the only way, and, in fairness, nearly all basins are designed for monobloc mixers. I don't like them personally, but that is entirely irrelevant.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you're going to use PEX, you may as well go PEX right up to the tap and not bother with the flexi. It has enough give in it that you can shape it to fit and, over the length of a basin pedestal, it would be a very slight curve. Use a flexi if you like or if you need to though.

I suppose if you have mixer taps then it's the only way, and, in fairness, nearly all basins are designed for monobloc mixers. I don't like them personally, but that is entirely irrelevant.
Thanks - It is a Monobloc Mixer, but it comes with copper tails (Bristan Tap), therefore I could take the PEX right up to the copper tails and fit an isolation valve.
Post automatically merged:

There’s no harm in using compression fittings for connecting pex and copper, nor using push fit fittings. You asked if this is the best way, I would personally apply a couple of offsets if possible. Any photo(s) to gain a better understanding?
Thanks - See attached Photos. I still need to cut out the floorboards, then cut the pipes at the lowest point, hopefully this will then give me plenty distance to run PEX up through the pedestal, a few inches further back or do you think I will still need an offset and if so, what would you use for this, I want to try and limit the number of joints under the floorboards. thanks C

Attachments

Last edited:
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Latest Plumbing Advice

Top Bottom