Search the forum,

Discuss Help us understand how this UFH system works please! in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks.
Sorry this is a long one. I'll try and keep it organised.
Son has just moved into a purpose built (2013 ish) 4th floor apartment as a tenant. No gas in the building. Triple glazing.

1. The letting agent led him to believe that the electricity supply was on an Eco 7 meter. He didn't provide a move in meter reading but told son to contact the management company (MC) to get them to read the meter as residents don't have access to the meters. We've emailed the MC to get them to come and read the meter and also to provide a meter number.

2, We called SSE who are the provider to be told they don't have any record of an Eco 7 meter for the apartment and the meter hasn't been read since September last year. A bill has just arrived (not addressed to son) which only shows one unit rate of 17p per Kwh. It's an estimated bill (both readings) for one month Dec-Jan and it's £55.

3. Re the system components (that we can see in the apartment)

a
An Elson Coral E electric water heater
Immersion.jpg

b Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz timer.It has an analogue timer dial with what appear to be FIXED on times of midnight till 03.30, then 0500-0900.
A switch with TIMED or OFF
A boost timer dial for up to 60 minutes.
Eco 7 timer.jpg

c 2 Continental analogue room thermostats in LR/Bedroom. They have a switch on the side . Timed (clock) day (sun) and night (moon)

d A Rossweiner Armaturern und Messgerate, model might be WFM 21. Is on one of the pipes and has what appear to be sensors heading off from it (haven't quite figured out what's what yet) and ATM is showing a Kwh value in the digital display window. This value doesn't go up and down depending whether the pump is running but may be going up on a day to day basis. Not sure ATM. It appears to have a button on it which may allow toggling through different info in the display window.
Rossweiner heat meter.jpg

e a strange looking thing (see photos) in the pipework above d. It looks like some sort of flow adjustment. Says BOSS on it and it has 2 little windows (not glass). One window has a blue background with the number 2 in it. The other has a red background and the top of 1 and bottom of 2 are in the window. Directly underneath this (but above d) there's a red lever and a blue lever att TO ached to the pipe. Could this be a blender valve?
Unknown BOSS.jpg

f another Continental "box" that has labels, "pump" and "boiler" with lights. I know the one for the pump comes on and you hear a click when you turn one of the stat's up so that they call for heat. I don't think the boiler light comes on though.
Unknown Continental.jpg

To help us understand how the controls function I think it might be easier to assume Eco 7 as it seems that the system is set up for that
My understanding is that the emersion heater is heating water overnight as per the timer b
The domestic hot water production involves a mains pressure water pipe (the hot water pressure is very good) running through the hot water in the tank, so effectively it's acting as a heat exchanger.
Re the UF heating, is the water in the tank (thermal store) being circulated around the UF heating, or is there a pipe that runs through the hot water tank for that too?

I've read about the Continenetal stats and they say that when they're used with a particular timer on the system, when set on the timed mode they'll reduce the set temp automatically by 4c during the times when the system is heating water ie overnight.
Is the timer b fulfilling the function of a timer on the system?
If it is then I'm confused as it seems to suggest that , if for eg the stat was set on 19c and timer mode, the temp setting would automatically drop by 4c so no heat called for until the room temp was 15c between the hours of midnight and 03.30, then 0500-0900, which means the flat would be cold if you were getting up at say 0800? Or would the hour and a half of heating between 03.30 and 5 be enough to ensure the place was still warm at 0800?

Last night was the first night he slept there so we're just getting to know what's going on with the system ATM.

He had the keys for a few days before he actually moved in and we didn't know if we should be turning the switch on the timer b, to OFF. We just left it set on timed and turned the stats down to 17c. When we've arrived at 1300, it takes about 30 minutes for the flat to get up to 19-20c from 17c on a cold (1 c) but sunny day (sun shines into the bedroom) and 40 minutes on a cold (3c) cloudy day. Once up to that temp' the LR stays up to temp for around 2 hrs, but because the bedroom stat' is near the door to the hall and the hall doesn't seem to have any UF heating, that cools down more quickly unless you close the bedroom door.

Again apologies for the long post. Hoping someone can help out. The letting agent lives in the block but doesn't seem to know that much about the system and didn't know if he had an eco 7 meter. Amazes me how little people know/care about energy usage/£.

Whilst not being able to help with the bulk of your queries, I can advise that the Horstmann timer on and off times can be adjusted in 15min steps between the hours of 23.30 and 09.00, but you need to take the cover off to do it - and obviously turn off the power! The instructions are easily found on the web.

Slightly puzzled by your reference to 'two readings' on the electricity bill. Does that mean two meter readings, as in a normal (day) reading and a night time reading? If so it should be possible to get put on dual tariff billing, even if not currently.

the boiler light may not come on as it isn't connected to a boiler I suspect that the heating is form a central boiler or the Olson being a thermal store, so so long as that is hot you should get heating, the rossweiner is a meter for when you use the heating. as is stated in the Olson instruction the unit is hot water only

Hi Whatsthenews
It's looking more as if there's a central boiler (prob gas) that feeds all the flats UFH, and that's the reason for the Rossweiner kWh meter. The Elson is likely just providing hot water?
Worth asking a resident if they get heating bills from the management company!

Is the heating stated as being inclusive with the rent or to be charged per units used (on the Rossweiner meter as above posts)?

Whilst not being able to help with the bulk of your queries, I can advise that the Horstmann timer on and off times can be adjusted in 15min steps between the hours of 23.30 and 09.00, but you need to take the cover off to do it - and obviously turn off the power! The instructions are easily found on the web.

Slightly puzzled by your reference to 'two readings' on the electricity bill. Does that mean two meter readings, as in a normal (day) reading and a night time reading? If so it should be possible to get put on dual tariff billing, even if not currently.
Thanks so much. We'll have a look. The 2 readings I was referring to were start and end of the billing period. Wish there was a cheaper and regular rate showing on there. Terrified the bills are going to be sky high. especially as we don't really understand it! He's furloughed BA cabin crew. Their basic is pathetic.

Thanks for all the help
Cheers. Yes, didn't think it was anything we needed to be concerned with, but I like to know what things are and have some idea of what they do. Knowledge is power. I'll take a look at the link.
the boiler light may not come on as it isn't connected to a boiler I suspect that the heating is form a central boiler or the Olson being a thermal store, so so long as that is hot you should get heating, the rossweiner is a meter for when you use the heating. as is stated in the Olson instruction the unit is hot water only
Yes, pretty sure there's no boiler and the Olson is a thermal store for the UFH. When the stat calls for heat, a pipe on the top of the Olson is very hot, whilst another is cold. It also makes a gurgling sound when it first comes on?
The pipes run up the left and right hand walls but are above the ceiling overhead so can't see what goes where. There's an uninsulated copper pipe going into the back of the Olson low down, which I assume is the mains supply as the stopcock is on this pipe.
Can't quite remember where they were , but I think I ID'd the DHW pipe heading off through the left hand wall, which is where the bathroom and kitchen are.
Hi Whatsthenews
It's looking more as if there's a central boiler (prob gas) that feeds all the flats UFH, and that's the reason for the Rossweiner kWh meter. The Elson is likely just providing hot water?
Worth asking a resident if they get heating bills from the management company!
There's no gas in the building. The electricity bill that arrived for Dec-Jan was direct from SSE.
Is the heating stated as being inclusive with the rent or to be charged per units used (on the Rossweiner meter as above posts)?
No, the heating isn't included. It isn't a housing association/council owned block. It was built in 2015.

Update on the functioning of the timer. We buzzed it round to midnight and through to 9am.
The indicator light "timed" didn't come when the clock got to 0000hrs, in fact it didn't come on until the clock reached 5am, when it stayed on until it reached 9am. On shining a light onto the timer, the background of the midnight to 03.30 time period is red, whilst the background for the 0500-0900 is blue. Any ideas?
Further reading on the Continental room thermostat mentions that the 3 settings (timed,day and night) will work when there's a Continental Heatmax UFH NSB timer. Looking at an image of a set up , it appears that they have a timer beside f. So we don't have one, therefore presumably none of the settings on the room stats will work. That would appear to be the case as we left the rooms stat on about 17 on "timed" mode overnight and at 8am the underfloor heating had definitely been on.

The boiler light does indeed come on along with the pump light when the stat call for heat.

On shining a light onto the timer, the background of the midnight to 03.30 time period is red, whilst the background for the 0500-0900 is blue. Any ideas?
The red (orange?) sector is supposed to indicate the position of the "on" cam, and the blue the "off" cam.
The link to the instructions is in post #3. It sounds like the "on" cam is actually at 5am, but I don't know why the red sector is not showing that - it might become clearer if you tried out the procedure for adjusting them.
But if not currently on an E7 tariff, the present settings might be perfectly serviceable for the moment.
A very rough bit of mental arithmetic suggests if you leave it as is, it could clock up around the monthly amount you spoke of in the first post (I could be wrong!), obviously dependent on UFH usage.

Last edited:
The red (orange?) sector is supposed to indicate the position of the "on" cam, and the blue the "off" cam.
The link to the instructions is in post #3. It sounds like the "on" cam is actually at 5am, but I don't know why the red sector is not showing that - it might become clearer if you tried out the procedure for adjusting them.
But if not currently on an E7 tariff, the present settings might be perfectly serviceable for the moment.
A very rough bit of mental arithmetic suggests if you leave it as is, it could clock up around the monthly amount you spoke of in the first post (I could be wrong!), obviously dependent on UFH usage.
Thanks again. Yes, that's what I understood from the instructions, so I was rather baffled. As you say, if there's no E7 then it's neither here nor there.
I also came to the same calculation. You'd think the estimated bill would be based on something as I believe they've been the supplier for several years.
Gasmk1, do you have anything to add, especially since the UFH doesn't seem to have a timer?

Hi whatsthenews
I know of a UFH center like yours with the timer module fitted. I have been looking around to find the "Continental" Heatmax chrono module, but this product seems to have disappeared and the item badged with other names - the only recent equivalent has the "Watts" name.
This is what the module is like:
and just for interest I see there's one currently on eBay:
Whilst this appears to be 'the right thing' I am not guaranteeing it would just plug in and work! We need someone experienced with fitting/ maintaining these to confirm different branded modules of this type can work together. I think the design is at least 10 years old - the system I've seen was installed in 2007.

It seems the industry has moved towards thermostats having time clocks in them, so different rooms can have different timings, rather than one central clock turning everything on and off (or doing setback) together.

no under floor is controlled by thermostats so my advice is set them to what is comfortable other option is to change the stats to timer stats would need to see what the thermostats are to see if its feasible.

no under floor is controlled by thermostats
Sorry Gasmk1, not sure what you're saying? Individual rooms (eg zones) with hot water UFH can be controlled by ambient temp. wall stats. I have them. Did you mean it's not controlling the temperature of the water - agree it is just an on/off control of the water supply, but it does work!

Sorry Gasmk1, not sure what you're saying? Individual rooms (eg zones) with hot water UFH can be controlled by ambient temp. wall stats. I have them. Did you mean it's not controlling the temperature of the water - agree it is just an on/off control of the water supply, but it does work!
You asked me if I had anything to add my answer was no,

I missed a full stop. I was saying that the stats control the heat no timer but you should be able to change them to programmable room stats. But you need to know if you want to do this as cost is involved.

Hi whatsthenews
I know of a UFH center like yours with the timer module fitted. I have been looking around to find the "Continental" Heatmax chrono module, but this product seems to have disappeared and the item badged with other names - the only recent equivalent has the "Watts" name.
This is what the module is like:
and just for interest I see there's one currently on eBay:
Whilst this appears to be 'the right thing' I am not guaranteeing it would just plug in and work! We need someone experienced with fitting/ maintaining these to confirm different branded modules of this type can work together. I think the design is at least 10 years old - the system I've seen was installed in 2007.

It seems the industry has moved towards thermostats having time clocks in them, so different rooms can have different timings, rather than one central clock turning everything on and off (or doing setback) together.
Yes, I've seen that set up too and yes, seems most heating controls these days are a combined affair
I wish we knew about UFH as I'm not sure (considering the thermal store is being heated by electricity whatever we do with the stats) whether we should just leave the stats set on 19 all the time. If I have my head around it, as long as there's hot water in the tank ,apart from the electricity to run the pump, the cost is going to be the same, is it not?

no under floor is controlled by thermostats so my advice is set them to what is comfortable other option is to change the stats to timer stats would need to see what the thermostats are to see if its feasible.
the room stats are Continental Heatmax which have 3 settings.Continental Heatmax NSB dial thermostat
We've got them set on the automatic night setback mode, which is designed to set back the temp by 4c overnight, but ,if I understand correctly, this is only going to happen with the use of a timer on the UFH. (That's making the assumption that the Eco 7 is only controlling when the water tank switches on and has nothing to do with the UFH )
We're turning the room stats down to 17c overnight (still on the automatic night setback mode) and at 0800 the UFH has definitely been on and the flat is warm. To get the stat to call for heat they need to be turned up to about 21c. Slightly puzzled as to why it's so warm.
You asked me if I had anything to add my answer was no,

I missed a full stop. I was saying that the stats control the heat no timer but you should be able to change them to programmable room stats. But you need to know if you want to do this as cost is involved.
That was me who asked if there was anything else you could add.

(That's making the assumption that the Eco 7 is only controlling when the water tank switches on and has nothing to do with the UFH )
It's right to assume that the Eco 7 timer is just controlling the immersion heater(s). If the UFH chrono module had been fitted originally, then that could have controlled the immersion (eg boiler), but it wouldn't make sense to do it the other way round. The Eco 7 is only on at night, and only for a maximum period of 7 hours!
I'm not clear the night setback will even be working if the UFH chrono module is not there. When switched to setback mode, does the LED change between orange and green when you rotate the dial, and is the point at which that happens indicating about 4 deg. below ambient?

I guess there is no point in making any changes to the system if it is providing adequate heating. If certain rooms are not required to be heated at certain times, it might be worth putting in a programmer (or changing the thermostats) but the saving in electricity would take a while to pay back the expenditure!

It's right to assume that the Eco 7 timer is just controlling the immersion heater(s). If the UFH chrono module had been fitted originally, then that could have controlled the immersion (eg boiler), but it wouldn't make sense to do it the other way round. The Eco 7 is only on at night, and only for a maximum period of 7 hours!
I'm not clear the night setback will even be working if the UFH chrono module is not there. When switched to setback mode, does the LED change between orange and green when you rotate the dial, and is the point at which that happens indicating about 4 deg. below ambient?

I guess there is no point in making any changes to the system if it is providing adequate heating. If certain rooms are not required to be heated at certain times, it might be worth putting in a programmer (or changing the thermostats) but the saving in electricity would take a while to pay back the expenditure!
Thanks Basher.
That's what I thought. Spoken to a couple of residents who say they don't have an Eco 7 meter. Presumably the system was set up to be used with Eco 7, so not sure why it's not. Looking at various Eco 7 tariffs, night time unit rates are around 9p, compared to about 14p for standard tariffs. I have no idea how a meter works, especially when it's remote to the consumer unit.
Also agree that the nightime set back won't work. The only LED colour we seem to get on the stat is red.
On closer inspection of the Eco 7 timer, I can see the red "on" tab and the blue "off" tab in the windows.
Red is at about 0200 and blue around 07.30.
Would I be correct in assuming that the immersion has a thermostat so it'll switch off independent of the timer when the water reaches the set temperature?
I still don't fully understand how the UFH manifold works regarding flow and return.
Is there a loop that circulates just through the UF pipes and the 2 sides of the manifold, with the mixer valve (there's a motorised valve) opening to add hot water from the thermal store ie the HW tank) to keep it at the set temp'? As opposed to a bigger loop where the returning water goes into the HW tank and then flows back out around the whole system? Hope that makes sense!

I have no idea how a meter works, especially when it's remote to the consumer unit.
These days one can have a dual tariff smart meter, which feeds the same electricity up the same wires, but just records what you use during the defined night time period on one totaliser, and what you use during the day on another, and keeps tabs on the total. Slight problem is that although the night rate is much cheaper, in many cases the day rate is a bit more expensive. So the savings might not be as great as you would think if you need lots of daytime electricity. The heat store is a great candidate for dual rate, but depends what happens during the day.

You may have already had a look at background material on UFH, eg

I confess my background is electrics, not plumbing. What I don't understand is that the heat store appears to have only one coil, which takes incoming mains pressure cold water, heats it and feeds it to the taps. Apparently the UFH is connected to the same coil. Surely that means that water from your hot taps could be mixed with that running through the UFH pipes, unless there is some sort of hydraulic separation somewhere. It doesn't seem a very hygenic arrangement. I would be interested to hear others observations.
Sorry to ask again, but are you absolutely sure the UFH stops working if you turn the E7 off completely?
(probably not an experiment to do at this time of the year). The presence of the energy monitor is still bothering me🤔

How Underfloor Heating Works | John Guest Speedfit - https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/underfloor-heating/underfloor-heating-explained/what-is-ufh/I[/URL] confess my background is electrics, not plumbing. What I don't understand is that the heat store appears to have only one coil, which takes incoming mains pressure cold water, heats it and feeds it to the taps. Apparently the UFH is connected to the same coil. Surely that means that water from your hot taps could be mixed with that running through the UFH pipes, unless there is some sort of hydraulic separation somewhere. It doesn't seem a very hygenic arrangement. I would be interested to hear others observations.
I hadn't , no. Cheers.
I confess my background is electrics, not plumbing. What I don't understand is that the heat store appears to have only one coil, which takes incoming mains pressure cold water, heats it and feeds it to the taps. Apparently the UFH is connected to the same coil. Surely that means that water from your hot taps could be mixed with that running through the UFH pipes, unless there is some sort of hydraulic separation somewhere. It doesn't seem a very hygenic arrangement. I would be interested to hear others observations.Sorry to ask again, but are you absolutely sure the UFH stops working if you turn the E7 off completely?
(probably not an experiment to do at this time of the year). The presence of the energy monitor is still bothering me🤔
The plot thickens😀
Communal heat-pump system heats Gateshead apartments
GOING GREEN IN GATESHEAD - DIMPLEX COMMUNAL HEAT PUMP SYSTEM WARMS APARTMENTS

" Heat meters in each apartment can be remotely read, so that each owner pays only for the energy they use"

This second article has this added text

"The nine LA 28 AS air source heat pumps are arranged in two separate banks and provide heat to all apartments, which are arranged in three blocks. The innovative solution was specified, designed and installed by Dimplex heat pump installer partner Azure Natural Energy Systems and was completed in late 2009. Matthew Evans, owner of Azure, explains: “We looked at all the alternative renewable heating systems available, including ground source heat pumps, water to water heat pumps using heat from the River Tyne, biomass and solar thermal combinations. The most cost-effective solution was this communal air source heat pump system to deliver heating to the buildings, with domestic hot water served by individual, electrically heated cylinders"

Last edited:
I hadn't , no. Cheers.

The plot thickens😀
Communal heat-pump system heats Gateshead apartments
GOING GREEN IN GATESHEAD - DIMPLEX COMMUNAL HEAT PUMP SYSTEM WARMS APARTMENTS

" Heat meters in each apartment can be remotely read, so that each owner pays only for the energy they use"

This second article has this added text

"The nine LA 28 AS air source heat pumps are arranged in two separate banks and provide heat to all apartments, which are arranged in three blocks. The innovative solution was specified, designed and installed by Dimplex heat pump installer partner Azure Natural Energy Systems and was completed in late 2009. Matthew Evans, owner of Azure, explains: “We looked at all the alternative renewable heating systems available, including ground source heat pumps, water to water heat pumps using heat from the River Tyne, biomass and solar thermal combinations. The most cost-effective solution was this communal air source heat pump system to deliver heating to the buildings, with domestic hot water served by individual, electrically heated cylinders"
I think you might have found the answer, in which case no need to pursue dual rate electricity!

Air source heat pumps don't provide a particularly high temperature at this time of year, so best to keep the UFH ticking over.

If timed night setback and control of individual room temperatures is appealing, suggest obtaining the chrono module and finding someone to install it. Otherwise just fiddle with the thermostats as required!
Best regards.

I think you might have found the answer, in which case no need to pursue dual rate electricity!

Air source heat pumps don't provide a particularly high temperature at this time of year, so best to keep the UFH ticking over.

If timed night setback and control of individual room temperatures is appealing, suggest obtaining the chrono module and finding someone to install it. Otherwise just fiddle with the thermostats as required!
Best regards.
I hope you don't think you're just going to disappear into the ether!
Thanks for the tip about keeping it ticking over.We've been wondering about how to use it most efficiently
I'm wondering how the billing works for a communal heating system because presumably it's not running off our meter?
Spotted a post on MSE forum that looked suspiciously like it might have been from a Friars Wharf resident. They were about the billing for the communal heating ASHP system for 85 flats. Guess what? The management company or building owner didn;t seem to know what they were doing. I don't think it's possible to work out how much each apartment has used. I bet there's been some interesting discussions at the residents meetings (if they have them)

I haven't disappeared yet, but please confirm we are talking about Friars Wharf, otherwise I'm going off at a tangent. No it's not running off your meter.

Here is a learned dissertation that just happens to mention how the Friars Wharf system, in general terms, is supposed to work, see page 113 figure 30 and beyond:
Doesn't really help us answer your burning questions.

It appears the bank of 8 air source heat pumps run from 3-phase 440v. I don't imagine they would try to measure the electricity consumed by each flat, only the total for the building per month/quarter etc. It is the purpose of the energy meter in each flat to determine, on the basis of the flow through the water pipe, the incoming water temperature, and probably the outgoing water temperature, what the kWh equivalent of energy used is. They then hopefully attribute the contribution of each flat according to the energy meter readings in proportion to the total consumption, so each pays their 'share'. No doubt with an admin/management fee on top. But still according to a transparent rationale that flat owners are aware of.
I believe the heat output of the heat pumps should be roughly 3 times the electricity they use.
So assuming the meters in the flats are actually accurate, the following things should be true:
1) adding up all the flat meter readings for a given period and dividing by 3 should total approx the electricity bill for the building for that period (actually this is the way to find out the exact proprtion)
2) dividing by 3 the unit price per kWh for the heat pump supply, and multiplying by the number of units used by a flat, should be the bill for that flat, and adding all the flat's contributions should pay the overall bill.
Maybe someone got their sums wrong, not all the heat pumps were working properly, not all the kWh meters were working properly, or some other part of Murphy's Law came into play, and the landlord was out of pocket.
Well that's my theory!
I hope they know what their doing with their bills now. I would hope the heating charges would be less than half the 'equivalent normal' electricity bill would be.

There should be information about this in the Management Pack, Handbook or "Safety Manual", or whatever they've chosen to call it, or the lease, or other documentation for the property. Normally you sign to agree to the terms.

Nice flats!

Last edited:
Whatsthenews, I've just discovered another thread on this forum on the same system, from 2010!

I haven't disappeared yet, but please confirm we are talking about Friars Wharf, otherwise I'm going off at a tangent. No it's not running off your meter.

Here is a learned dissertation that just happens to mention how the Friars Wharf system, in general terms, is supposed to work, see page 113 figure 30 and beyond:
Doesn't really help us answer your burning questions.

It appears the bank of 8 air source heat pumps run from 3-phase 440v. I don't imagine they would try to measure the electricity consumed by each flat, only the total for the building per month/quarter etc. It is the purpose of the energy meter in each flat to determine, on the basis of the flow through the water pipe, the incoming water temperature, and probably the outgoing water temperature, what the kWh equivalent of energy used is. They then hopefully attribute the contribution of each flat according to the energy meter readings in proportion to the total consumption, so each pays their 'share'. No doubt with an admin/management fee on top. But still according to a transparent rationale that flat owners are aware of.
I believe the heat output of the heat pumps should be roughly 3 times the electricity they use.
So assuming the meters in the flats are actually accurate, the following things should be true:
1) adding up all the flat meter readings for a given period and dividing by 3 should total approx the electricity bill for the building for that period (actually this is the way to find out the exact proprtion)
2) dividing by 3 the unit price per kWh for the heat pump supply, and multiplying by the number of units used by a flat, should be the bill for that flat, and adding all the flat's contributions should pay the overall bill.
Maybe someone got their sums wrong, not all the heat pumps were working properly, not all the kWh meters were working properly, or some other part of Murphy's Law came into play, and the landlord was out of pocket.
Well that's my theory!
I hope they know what their doing with their bills now. I would hope the heating charges would be less than half the 'equivalent normal' electricity bill would be.

There should be information about this in the Management Pack, Handbook or "Safety Manual", or whatever they've chosen to call it, or the lease, or other documentation for the property. Normally you sign to agree to the terms.

Nice flats!
Yes, we're talking about Friars Wharf, and I really appreciate your input Basher. I didn't think about looking for academic papers. The management company , Zenith, are Manchester based

Now in possession of a meter reading at least (although knowing what we now know about the ASHP's, I'm a little reluctant to accept their reading. Would rather have eyes on the meter myself.)
I agree with your calculations and the presence of the heat meter makes sense now, although we've never been told that we will need to submit any readings or that anyone will need access to look at it We are keeping a check on it.
Is it correct to say that in the coldest months (now!) the COP will be lower than 3?
My parents has a house with an ASHP (air to air) in the US when we lived there. Generally although the winters were much shorter and sunnier, we had colder temps than here and they had an emergency back up "heater" that came on automatically when the temp went down to below about -4c and the pump couldn't raise the air temp' sufficiently to reach the set temp'.
We don't have an info pack nor any instructions for anything.
We've emailed the letting agent and told them we think the UFH runs off communal ASHP and asked how it's billed.
Thanks again!🙂

Whatsthenews, I've just discovered another thread on this forum on the same system, from 2010!
Just had a reply to our email. Apparently the landlord pays for the UFH in with the service charges. I'll take a loom at the thread.
Thanks again for helping us with the conundrum.

Just had a reply to our email. Apparently the landlord pays for the UFH in with the service charges. I'll take a loom at the thread.
Thanks again for helping us with the conundrum.

yes, that's the same guy who posted in 2011 about the charges for the UFH (I posted the link a couple of posts ago). Doesn't sound like anyone knew what they were doing.
Sadly I can't see his photos. One guy states that the pump's in the wrong place!

Now in possession of a meter reading at least
i'm assuming you're talking here about the electricity supply to the flat, for hot water etc. Thats good news.
I hope the reading tallies reasonably with the last estimated bill! But of course that reading is nothing to do with the ASHP's and the UFH consumption.

As far as the UFH is concerned, the Rossweiner kWh meter should communicate readings back to a central unit. I believe all the flats readings would be logged centrally, or at least that would have been the case when the system was installed, probably integrated with some software that looks like nobody knew much about. Hopefully after all this time it's being done properly!

Thanks for the update. Hope things go smoothly at the flat.

i'm assuming you're talking here about the electricity supply to the flat, for hot water etc. Thats good news.
I hope the reading tallies reasonably with the last estimated bill! But of course that reading is nothing to do with the ASHP's and the UFH consumption.

As far as the UFH is concerned, the Rossweiner kWh meter should communicate readings back to a central unit. I believe all the flats readings would be logged centrally, or at least that would have been the case when the system was installed, probably integrated with some software that looks like nobody knew much about. Hopefully after all this time it's being done properly!

Thanks for the update. Hope things go smoothly at the flat.
yes , the meter for the immersion heater.
Not very bothered about how they calculate how much to charge for the UFH as we don't have to pay it.
It's a nice flat. Spacious and bright and a nice, if somewhat gritty, view over the river and a boat yard from living area and balcony. Lots to watch and will be even more in the Summer and if we ever get out of this COVID malarkey.

Reply to Help us understand how this UFH system works please! in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock