Search the forum,

Discuss Help required to replace broken toilet cistern push button in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I was hoping you lovely people could help me to identify this toilet cistern push button system below, so I can replace it or get something similar.
The internal push button is completely broken, but would I need to replace the whole part of the cistern section with the external push button or just the white section? If that makes sense.

Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction for a cheap replacement?

20200111_175604.jpg
20200111_175557.jpg

Thank you for your help in advance!
From a complete novice DIYer

I haven`t seen one go like that before, fear it will be the complete valve that needs replacing but with the water turned off it is a simple job.
Grab the valve low down and twist 1/6th anti-clockwise, think it is anti but look down low and you will the the lugs that hold it in place so remove and replace in 5minutes.

I haven`t seen one go like that before, fear it will be the complete valve that needs replacing but with the water turned off it is a simple job.
Grab the valve low down and twist 1/6th anti-clockwise, think it is anti but look down low and you will the the lugs that hold it in place so remove and replace in 5minutes.
Yes its best to replace as RPM the mechanism that broke is very fragile plastic pegs that break very easily I have replaced over 100 as they were fitted in McCarthy Stone Devs...get a cable operated push button one. centralheatking

Thank you so much for you help!

Just a quick question with regards to the replacement. Would something like this work?

Or something like this:

Thanks in advance

Yes its best to replace as RPM the mechanism that broke is very fragile plastic pegs that break very easily I have replaced over 100 as they were fitted in McCarthy Stone Devs...get a cable operated push button one. centralheatking

How many have you seen broken there chk? Also I don`t see that a cable operated valve is any better than a push button one tbh and taking into account that Starman said that he is a complete novice to change it over now would mean far greater work compared to a five minute change of like for like valves.

Thank you so much for you help!

Just a quick question with regards to the replacement. Would something like this work?

Or something like this:

Thanks in advance
You are creating a lot more work to change from one type to another imho as the cistern will need to be removed and refitted afterwards.

How many have you seen broken there chk? Also I don`t see that a cable operated valve is any better than a push button one tbh and taking into account that Starman said that he is a complete novice to change it over now would mean far greater work compared to a five minute change of like for like valves.

You are creating a lot more work to change from one type to another imho as the cistern will need to be removed and refitted afterwards.

Any link to something I could buy and fix it myself? I have my mother in law over this weekend and no time to have someone
come out to fix it I'm afraid.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

There were an average of 50-80 flats per McCarthy Stone dev and we went all over northwest fixing
passing cisterns, broken push button flush and those simply dreadfull Gledhill Pulse Coil all of which were fitted as standard in the 90s onwards ....cable operated last longer because the shock of pressing the button is absorbed by the cable....always put cable in esp.pubs ...there are 3/4 at Scotch Piper Lydiate that have been there over a decade when the others only lasted less than a year. centralheatking this is my honest experience

The same people also show another which might be a closer match.

This place is fairly close to my house actually, so I'll see if I can get it today and then fix it before this weekend.

Anything else to be made aware of or is this a relatively easy fix if I get this exact part?

Again, thanks for your help guys!

Isolate water to the cistern then as said earlier look for the securing lugs that hold the valve to the section that stays connected to the cistern which are way down at the bottom then twist valve to remove and you can take it with you to compare the fixings.
Clean the face of the part left in the cistern of dirt and debris before fitting the new valve.
( Your posts 9.40am aren`t showing here yet so hope this was helpful)

This place is fairly close to my house actually, so I'll see if I can get it today and then fix it before this weekend.

Anything else to be made aware of or is this a relatively easy fix if I get this exact part?

Again, thanks for your help guys!
did this replacement work, I am needing one myself

Reply to Help required to replace broken toilet cistern push button in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock