Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Plumber left a hole going under the edge of the bath. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Help! My plumber has just left and has pulled off quite a chunk of my wall when removing my bath. I said I would tile tonight without looking at his work. He has left this hole. Am I unreasonable to ask him to come back and remove the bath so I can repair the wall?

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_175131.jpg
    IMG_20210915_175131.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210915_165843.jpg
    IMG_20210915_165843.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210915_175114.jpg
    IMG_20210915_175114.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210915_180524.jpg
    IMG_20210915_180524.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Sling some on coat in there and smooth off aslong as the bath is solid you can tank to the bath and not have a problem

Tbh should of removed the bath first then got the first fix done and then skimmed the wall, then installed the bath ready for tiling as the walls don’t look square hence the guy having to chop the bath in

I would have removed the old bath and repaired the wall and tanking I like to tile the walls before fitting a new bath leaving a cut tile down onto the bath that way the bath is not at risk of damage ,you have gone to the effort of using a tanking system to keep the wall dry and tile onto, its a shame it got messed up but it needs repairing before you fit any tiles your gonna need to cut a section of plaster board out and let a new piece in and repair the tanking, I wouldn't let John Wayne near it he's obviously hasn't got the skill set. Regards Kop

Attachments

• PXL_20210217_161603961.jpg
    PXL_20210217_161603961.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20210211_170301349.jpg
    PXL_20210211_170301349.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20210226_112213707.jpg
    PXL_20210226_112213707.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 34
Thanks so much for your response! My problem is that the hole is below the bath so I'm not sure how to fix the plasterboard. It's right below the shower so I assume it needs to be repaired carefully to ensure water doesn't get in. Or do you think I'm being too careful?
Tbh I didn’t know it was tanking, (I’ve never had the privilege of using it myself). As per the above 2 professionals above, get it repaired before tiling, which is obviously what you’ve asked for.

I would have removed the old bath and repaired the wall and tanking I like to tile the walls before fitting a new bath leaving a cut tile down onto the bath that way the bath is not at risk of damage ,you have gone to the effort of using a tanking system to keep the wall dry and tile onto, its a shame it got messed up but it needs repairing before you fit any tiles your gonna need to cut a section of plaster board out and let a new piece in and repair the tanking, I wouldn't let John Wayne near it he's obviously hasn't got the skill set. Regards Kop
Yeah, that's what I would have thought. I don't know whether to ask him to come back and remove the bath so I can fix it properly. He suggested I just chuck some adhesive or plaster in the hole, but would really rather do it properly. He is supposed to come back tomorrow to fit the shower above this section. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Tbh I didn’t know it was tanking, (I’ve never had the privilege of using it myself). As per the above 2 professionals above, get it repaired before tiling, which is obviously what you’ve asked for.
The tanking is great, I think in the UK is now a legal requirement. It also comes with take for the joints, makes it really watertight. Thanks for your comment!

I wouldn't rely on your plumber to do the repairs it will be botched if what's happened up to now is anything to go by , you cannot fit the tiling as it is definitely not ! also the wall needs repairing around the pipes coming out the wall before any tiling takes place it needs to be waterproof and as Shaun has advised allow for drying time best of luck . Kop

Attachments

• PXL_20210607_130000488.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210607_130000488.MP.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20210622_133829199.jpg
    PXL_20210622_133829199.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210915-194550.png
    Screenshot_20210915-194550.png
    561.8 KB · Views: 35
I wouldn't rely on your plumber to do the repairs it will be botched if what's happened up to now is anything to go by , you cannot fit the tiling as it is definitely not ! also the wall needs repairing around the pipes coming out the wall before any tiling takes place it needs to be waterproof and as Shaun has advised allow for drying time best of luck . Kop
Thanks! I'm in the process of repairing that, I was able to cut it into a nice rectangle, and fit the plasterboard.

Thanks for the advice, I think I might have to find a new plumber for this job.

No excuse for shoddy workmanship the prep work is very important to get right it will only lead to leaks later on.
Yup, I thought as much.
Sling some on coat in there and smooth off aslong as the bath is solid you can tank to the bath and not have a problem

Tbh should of removed the bath first then got the first fix done and then skimmed the wall, then installed the bath ready for tiling as the walls don’t look square hence the guy having to chop the bath in
Hi, he removed the previous bath and in the process made that hole in the wall then fitted the new bath without filling the hole, or even smoothing the edges.

Yup, I thought as much.

Hi, he removed the previous bath and in the process made that hole in the wall then fitted the new bath without filling the hole, or even smoothing the edges.

Did you ask him to fill any holes around the bath as normally the tiler / plaster does this ?

It’s normal as depending on how the old one was fixed eg stuck / glued in or l brackets

Plasterboard isn’t that strong so I normally allow for reboarding / plastering the whole bathroom as it’s quicker and a better job than patching

It’s normal as depending on how the old one was fixed eg stuck / glued in or l brackets

Plasterboard isn’t that strong so I normally allow for reboarding / plastering the whole bathroom as it’s quicker and a better job than patching
I thought he would tell me, then I could have patched or reboarded before he fitted the bath. It seems so much harder now the bath is in place as I can't cut the hole to put the plasterboard into. I'm an amateur and just having a go and really not sure of normal procedures.

Thanks for the response though!

I would be removing the bath and carrying out the repairs tiling and grouting the walls as I showed you in earlier pictures, the shower can be fitted aswell as you risk damaging the bath having to climb in and out to do the work it madness to even consider carrying on as is sorry but that my view drop a tile and your in big trouble. Kop

I would be removing the bath and carrying out the repairs tiling and grouting the walls as I showed you in earlier pictures, the shower can be fitted aswell as you risk damaging the bath having to climb in and out to do the work it madness to even consider carrying on as is sorry but that my view drop a tile and your in big trouble. Kop
Depends if the bath would fit back in though? It seems it’s a tight fit?

In this case best to remove bath, it doesn’t look as though it’s even plumbed in - I can’t see any taps and there is definitely no overflow, so probably no waste.

So it is appears to be just stood in place and siliconed in, not much time to remove in other words.

I don’t know what your arrangements with the plumber are or the budget for the job, but there is obviously a bit of a problem with communication.

Reply to Help! Plumber left a hole going under the edge of the bath. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock