Search the forum,

Discuss Help Pls ! No power to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arthur123

Hi folks

Would appreciate any ideas here as I am at wits end.

I have an old BAXI SOLO RS 2 60 boiler. Some weeks ago the heating stopped working and I discovered that the pilot light had gone out. Tried relighting it, which works perfectly until I let go of the gas knob, then the pilot goes out. After Googling I learned that the thermocouple is the usual culprit for this so I swapped that out but the problem persists.

Today I took off the control dial and front panel to reveal the electric contacts and discovered that the problem actually is that there is no power whatsoever coming into the unit.

There is an isolator switch on the wall which is lit up and I checked and replaced the fuse in it anyway. There is a junction box above it which I looked into and discovered wires and a lego connector. I tested the contacts in the lego connector and none of them have power. In looking at the wires I then realised that the wires from the isolator switch run up trunking to the ceiling and wires obviously come down again into that lego connector and from that lego connector the wires go to the Baxi boiler.

This makes sense as presumably the power supply goes up to the control panel in the airing cupboard and it is that controller which controls the boiler, telling it when to turn on/off etc.

The problem is there is just no power coming down the wires into the boiler so the pilot will never stay lit.

The controller in the airing cupboard is an old Drayton Tempus 7. I took the front off it and opened it up to see if there was any kind of fuse in there but there wasn't.

I am stumped.

So couple of questions:

1. Should the pilot light stay lit even if the Baxi boiler has no power going to it?
2. If power is needed and should be there constantly, what are the likely causes for it not being there?
Is there another fuse somewhere that may have triggered?

All help appreciated

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you Gas Safe Registered?. If so message @Lou with your number.
Edit due to bad punctuation.

Hi. No I am not.

I have no intention of messing with anything gas related. I am however very happy and able to look at electrics.

This problem does not appear to be a gas issue. It smacks of there being a blown fuse somewhere or a faulty component.

It would be most helpful at least to know whether there should be continuous power to the Baxi bolier or not?

Or is power only directed to the boiler when the Drayton control panel activates it?

After Googling I learned that the thermocouple is the usual culprit for this so I swapped that out but the problem persists.
Unfortunately you have to be Gas Safe Registered to do this as the casing has to come off the boiler.

There is no continuous power to that boiler

Thank you for your help.

So that unfortunately suggests there is some fault or problem with the boiler itself.

It's not the thermocouple and it's not the reset button unit. Pilot will light perfectly but just won't stay on. Very frustrating !

Thank you for your help.

So that unfortunately suggests there is some fault or problem with the boiler itself.

It's not the thermocouple and it's not the reset button unit. Pilot will light perfectly but just won't stay on. Very frustrating !

Sorry pal , you have “messed” with the gas

An electrical component, requiring no fiddling with the gas supply or any gas items. Screws out, screws in. Come on guys this is a tad silly.

An electrical component, requiring no fiddling with the gas supply or any gas items. Screws out, screws in. Come on guys this is a tad silly.

so it doesnt screw into the gas valve?

get a gas safe engy out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help Pls ! No power to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi all,new to the forum and hoping to get some guidance through the boiler minefield . We moved into a 70s bungalow last Feb,its got a Greensted 241 junior mark 3. The expansion tank has failed, also it has a Boss therm sender unit wired to it but the previous owner didn't leave the receiver...
Replies
Views
Hi, Have a Valliant Ecotec Plus 637 system boiler that is showing no error codes and S.0 (no demand for heat), but it is not heating. Have checked that it is receiving switched 240V heat demand from controller into PCB, so believe it's just a boiler issue. Boiler was working fine up until...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock