Search the forum,

Discuss Help Please - fitting a 15mm flexi from existing copper pipe to coldwater tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stuart1977

Hi am trying to fit a 15mm flexi connector from copper pipe to a cold water tap. Whatever i do, the nut and the olive will not fit down enough onto the existing copper pipe so I cant get a good connection on the flexi. Can anyone give me some advice?? Would be much appreciated!

Thanks !

Stu

Hello stuart.
if the nut and olive are just that bit to tight it is probably 1/2" pipe, how old is the property?
if it is half inch you will need to get a fitting to convert to 15mm or get a smooth file on it and carefully shave the copper till it fits the olive.

just a thought did you cut the existing pipe with a roller or a hacksaw?
if it was with a saw could just be rough edges need deburring

Hi Simon, thansk for replying!

Its 1950s build, but i changed the hot water tap next to it the other month no problem.

It was cup with a pipe cutter, checked the cut is nice and smooth and even. Ive tried cutting some more away from the copper pipe in case it was just a blemish or something like that that was stopping it.

I take it that because i cant get a good connection on it, thats why the nut can move with little pressure applied?

Absolutely lost on this lol!

Cheers

Stuart

I take it that because i cant get a good connection on it, thats why the nut can move with little pressure applied?

so just to check, does the olive fit around the pipe or not?
do you have any other flexis/olives to try?
if it is too tight as in my first reply, then get shaving the pipe

It fits about 5mm over the cut, but its really stiff, and im under the impression that the flexi is held flush with the copper pipe, then the olive pushed up to it then the nut? i dont think the olive and nut can move down far enough for a good connection to be made?

Bit of a novice as you can see...

Cheers.

Is there any paint on the pipe that might be stopping the olive from going on the pipe?Sounds like the olive may be dented slightly, so can you change it for a new brass one? Have you considered using a push fit one onto the copper. If so, ensure that you mark full slip on the pipe first.

Are you trying to put the nut and olive on a bent piece of pipe?

Nuts and olives only goes on straight pipe, cant go on bends

Is it a case where some fittings have a deeper bore and so the old olive will not seal as the new fitting is more shallow?

I get this regular with ball valves new one wont fit so i have to cut back the copper.

Last edited:
sounds like the pipe has suffered some frost damage to me in the past.

take it of at the first coupling and renew!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help Please - fitting a 15mm flexi from existing copper pipe to coldwater tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock