Search the forum,

Discuss Help on getting a water tight fitting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Forgive my ignorance.

I was performing a test of a new manifold today, using mains water pressure to the 22mm flow pipe and back through the return. Unfortunately it failed as one of the joints where the 22mm copper pipe connects to the manifold failed and water leaked out.

I'm now wondering (as I did when I assembled the manifold) if there are some washers missing or if I need to use a different method to connect these fittings.

First a few photos in the hope this shows what I'm talking about.

Here's the manifold, with the 22mm flow and return pipes at the bottom. Note: The valves above these are turned off.

20201026_120223.jpg

Looking more closely at the two valves, there is an adapter that fits between the valve and the 22mm pipes, with a compression fitting on the pipe side and a sharp thread on the other side, which screws into the valve. It was this screw joint that leaked. Here's a close up photo.

20201026_203515.jpg

This didn't come with any washers, unlike most of the other fittings on the manifold and I'm beginning to wonder if it should have. Inside the valve is a large flat area in which a washer would sit nicely, however the end of the thread (facing upwards) is slightly bevelled and a little rough, so not ideal for fitting against a washer (or is it?). The other end of the valve, which screws into the manifold, does come with a washer:

20201026_203540.jpg

In your experience does it look like washers should be used for this "reducing" male to male fitting (I think that's what it is), or should it be fitted with lots of PTFE? I did try plastering it with Fernox Water Hawk jointing compound when I first assembled it, but clearly that didn't work!

This type of screw fitting reminds me of the radiator fittings that need to be plastered in PTFE to have any chance of not leaking.

Attachments

• 20201026_120223.jpg
    20201026_120223.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
Needs ptfe or Loctite 577/55

Thanks guys. I've now used PTFE along with some Delta 333 pipe sealant I had lying around.

I'll try another pressure test today. Fingers crossed as I really don't trust these type of fittings, in fact why do they make none-water tight fittings for use in an environment that requires water tight fittings. I just don't get it!

Fingers crossed as I really don't trust these type of fittings, in fact why do they make none-water tight fittings for use in an environment that requires water tight fittings. I just don't get it!

It's a mismatch of fittings by the supplier , all too common these days with the millions of variations, manufacturers and prices around.
Should be more like this one with an "O" ring I'd have thought as the brass butterfly valve in the O.P looks to have a chamfer for the O-ring.

Personally I'd prefer string, Ptfe etc.

Butterfly valve.PNG

As above, or 8-10 of loctite 55 ( hint this stuff is better!)

Also; rough up the threads a little, rub the edge of a file perpendicular to the thread spiral, this stops the tape slipping around.

Thanks guys, you've persuaded me to use Loctite 55, so I'll pick some up today from my local Wolseley branch.
[automerge]1603916202[/automerge]
Used Loctite 55 (probably more than I should) and just tightening up the joints I could feel the difference.

Mains pressure test shows they are now water tight.

I will be using Loctite 55 from now on :)

Last edited:
Glad you've sorted it with Loctite 55. It works well.

To be fair to the manufacturer, sealing on the screw threads is probably more reliable than compression or O ring seals.

Given that it isn't drinking water, I'd have gone for hemp and paste myself, but for occasional use it's not really worth going out and buying these, and you can also use the Loctite 55 as tap gland stuffing, so it is always useful to have.

PS Just noticed the underfloor pipework. Very tidy.

Reply to Help on getting a water tight fitting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock