Search the forum,

Discuss Help... no gas coming through meter or regulator in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My daughter has just moved into her first rental house with gas stove and hot water in Melbourne. The meter (pictured) definitely has gas connected to the regulator. But gas is not getting to the stove or water heater. The previous tenant had turned the gas tap off at the meter but it's on now and no gas is coming through. Pushing the button under the regulator cap gets a big spray of gas so it's definitely connected through from the mains. At one stage after taking the cap off the regulator (also pictured) and putting it back on, she got 10 seconds of gas and could light the stove. But then it stopped again. This happened once more, so I'm thinking the gas can seep through the regulator and fill the pipes with pressure, but not enough is getting through so it quickly empties the pipe and stops once the gas in the pipe is used up. It's really weird but I'm in another state and can't try anything ... I'm out of ideas. Can anyone suggest anything??? The real estate agent isn't helping, and they can't cook or shower. We've never lived in a house with gas so don't know if there's something we have failed to do. Anything about this meter or regulator I need to know? My daughter only got the account the other day... is it possible the retailer has capped off the meter and hasn't uncapped it again (and if so, why is a bit of gas getting through)?
Thank you!

662602783.jpg

662615092.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 20
I wonder if it’s an upso/opso regulator? Is there a button anywhere, eg on the side? As a side not, should you really be messing around with gas, if you haven’t worked on it before?

I wonder if it’s an upso/opso regulator? Is there a button anywhere, eg on the side? As a side not, should you really be messing around with gas, if you haven’t worked on it before?
Thanks - actually not messing around with it at all ... just trying to turn the supply on and only touching the user-safe bits.
Many regulators require a manual reset by pulling the little tag inside the cap. These caps are finger tightened only as they are intended for the end user to remove the cap to reset the regulator after an upso event. An upso event can include someone turning the tap off.

Thanks - actually not messing around with it at all ... just trying to turn the supply on and only touching the user-safe bits.
Many regulators require a manual reset by pulling the little tag inside the cap. These caps are finger tightened only as they are intended for the end user to remove the cap to reset the regulator after an upso event. An upso event can include someone turning the tap off.
The regulator doesn't have any 'reset' function - seems to be an early version of this ; https://www.landisgyr.fr/webfoo/wp-content/uploads/product-files/LG_APAC_Brochure_Gas_300.pdf

Surely the gas retailer is the responsible party, and should be asked to resolve it, through the landlord as Simon just posted!

I appreciate you were wanting to ensure nothing obvious had been missed - so far nothing's emerged!
If your daughter's without gas, a phone call to the gas retailer's emergency number should resolve it

Thanks again. The retailer was the first thing we tried (and the second etc.) Then the agent. I guess it's a time of year thing. The retailer AGL hasn't helped at all. The agent is closed over new year and hasn't returned calls. So it's not like step one was open the meter cap or ask a plumbing forum... we're already up to step 50 :)
But thank you for the link and for confirming there's nothing else obvious. Back to AGL in the morning.

The left hand valve is off the red one

The left hand valve is off the red one
yes first pic it's off. Third pic it's on.
OP: "previous tenant had turned the gas tap off at the meter but it's on now and no gas is coming through. Pushing the button under the regulator cap gets a big spray of gas so it's definitely connected through from the mains"

Maybe another valve just as it enters the property? As I don’t see anywhere you can test from

yes first pic it's off. Third pic it's on.
OP: "previous tenant had turned the gas tap off at the meter but it's on now and no gas is coming through. Pushing the button under the regulator cap gets a big spray of gas so it's definitely connected through from the mains"
Thanks, looked pretty hard outside and in the kitchen cupboards etc. for another tap but couldn't find one. Might crawl under the house next, but that seems a silly place to put it!

Reply to Help... no gas coming through meter or regulator in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock