Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed with wiring heating systems/controls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to a job today after fitting a new 15/60 grundfoss pump.. Switched everything on and it wasn't getting any current.

Long story short had to call the boss who after a few calls got quite frustrated with me as I just wasn't really understanding what he was getting me to do.

I've never delved into wiring for heating systems other than to fit new wireless stats (hard wired receiver).

Needless to say I want to learn more about it so I don't feel like such a dumbo next time. I don't expect to grasp it in a couple of days but if I can start to get my head around it it'll be a bonus.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books, references, websites, free training (or if anyone on here fancies teaching me)?!?!?!?!

(Turned out the issue was a faulty PCB on the potterton gold electric boiler).

Not unusual to find birds nest of wires crammed into normal socket box. I always carry Honeywell 10 way junction box and find if wired up correctly faults are then easy to locate.

Cheers guys, next course is October 20th.. ;)

The easiest way I learnt was to learn the sequence of controls. Followed by what the coloured wires do on the zone valves. That way I can trace back and work out what's what. If you know what each cable is and what the sequence is it makes life a lot easier.

I also did the honneywell course a few years ago, well worth it will give you a better understanding.

Knowing what the coloured wires do in the zone valves is essential. Also realizing zone valves can open without engaging micro switch and that on some stats the points can stick together giving a false call.

Jay, the Honeywell course mentioned above is brilliant. If you go to their website you can download wiring diagrams for all the different wiring plans, then follow each component sequentially to see how current flows. It's basically a series of switches, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically a series of switches is the best way to describe what happens. The system has no brain. The boiler does not know if it is firing for heating or DHW, that is determined by the zone valves that function in accordance to the programme and stats.

Is the course aimed for people like me who know sod all, or do you need to have knowledge already? I mean, I have some knowledge but not enough in my book...

Jay, the Honeywell course mentioned above is brilliant. If you go to their website you can download wiring diagrams for all the different wiring plans, then follow each component sequentially to see how current flows. It's basically a series of switches, nothing more.
I'll give it a look tonight, cheers masood

Is the course aimed for people like me who know sod all, or do you need to have knowledge already? I mean, I have some knowledge but not enough in my book...

You'll be fine mate. They start from first principles and build up to wiring up a Y-plan and S-plan on their training boards. We worked in pairs so it was plenty hand-on.

Once you've wired up your system you energise it and lightbulbs go on and off showing what's on and off at any given time. Really helps understand how the current flows from start to finish.

The one thing that has stuck with me to this day was something so basic that it seems obvious but until it's pointed out, a lot of people overlook.

"Time - temperature - flow"

If the timer (programmer) isn't calling, nothing should happen.
If the timer is calling, it sends a switched live to the stat. If the stat is satisfied (off) it goes no further.
If the stat is calling, it sends a switched live to boiler / 2-port / 3-port depending on setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be fine mate. They start from first principles and build up to wiring up a Y-plan and S-plan on their training boards. We worked in pairs so it was plenty hand-on.

Once you've wired up your system you energise it and lightbulbs go on and off showing what's on and off at any given time. Really helps understand how the current flows from start to finish.
Sounds like a great course.. I'm gonna book my place!!!!

John reginald, central heating book is around £25, great way to learn the basic and leave in the van, I left mine at a customers years ago though doh

John reginald, central heating book is around £25, great way to learn the basic and leave in the van, I left mine at a customers years ago though doh

I have two if his books, the one you mentioned and the one on combi's. I've looked through some of his troubleshooting techniques and because I didn't understand how things were wired up I couldn't visualise how to do his methods.

But I'm just getting my head around wiring up a complete typical honeywell s-plan so I'll take another look through his book once I can wire up a y-plan as well. At least I'll know a bit more of what he's talking about ;)

Cheers lame

I have two if his books, the one you mentioned and the one on combi's. I've looked through some of his troubleshooting techniques and because I didn't understand how things were wired up I couldn't visualise how to do his methods.

But I'm just getting my head around wiring up a complete typical honeywell s-plan so I'll take another look through his book once I can wire up a y-plan as well. At least I'll know a bit more of what he's talking about ;)

Cheers lame

you know what your going to do with the old 3 and 2 ports now do a mock set up if you have any in the bin

you know what your going to do with the old 3 and 2 ports now do a mock set up if you have any in the bin
Already started collecting ;) I have a cylinder stat so far.. Lol

Already started collecting ;) I have a cylinder stat so far.. Lol
Crack them open too so you can see what is happening mechanicaly when power is applied to the synchron motor. Honeywells are probably best for this but the draytons can be opened too.

and wire in a light socket and lamp to act as the boiler when it comes on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed with wiring heating systems/controls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Honeywell ST699 programmer which is working fine but I want to learn how to decommission it (disconnect it from the rest of the system). Currently I have a Honeywell Home Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF2024) and I am thinking to get the Honeywell Home Mobile Access Kit RFG100 to get...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a really remote part of the Highlands, so paying for a plumber (or electrician?) to do this will be brutally expensive, so I need to do it myself. I have a Grant Combi 26e boiler. I'm replacing the old thermostat with a new one. Although the boiler is a combi, I think the old...
Replies
Views
Hey folks, I'm wondering if someone could possibly help, I'm looking for a possible part number b4 I call ideal in the morning, I fitted an Ideal vogue 6years ago so it's generation 1 vogue c32, I also fitted a RF wireless controller (prt4) The reciever part plugs directly onto the boiler...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install to radiators being fitted and therefore able to comission the system. Our plumber is now employed elsewhere and unfortunately unable to complete this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock