Search the forum,

Discuss Help needed please as outside tap doesn't work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

littlewren

Hi,

I used my outside tap last summer and when I went to turn it on today, it wouldn't work. What happens is this - I turn on the t part of the tap but it just unscrews, it doesn't seem to grip anything, it's like using one of those taps in somewhere like Homebase where they're not connected to a water supply but are just there for show. There is a nut underneath the screw section (where the t part comes off) but when I loosen this with a spanner, that's all that happens, it just loosens.

I don't want to call a plumber out for what might be a simple solution, but I am a complete novice - in fact less than a noive - when it comes to anything like this, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me in simple terms what I could do to solve it please?

Many thanks in advance,

Carrie

i would check inside to see if the water is switched off (which is should have been to prevent freezing during the winter) at a valve on the internal pipework try to follow the pipe where it comes through the wall from outside

Hi, thankyou for your reply.

There is nowhere inside that the water relating to the outside tap can be switched off apart from the stopcock, which of course is on, although it's stiffened up and can't be turned :( There's nothing separate for the outside tap and never has been. I've had the tap for about 5 years and never had this problem before.

Carrie

i would check inside to see if the water is switched off (which is should have been to prevent freezing during the winter) at a valve on the internal pipework try to follow the pipe where it comes through the wall from outside

BIB TAP.jpg
is your tap like this one? if you are sure the supply is on to the tap the next thing is to check the washer in the tap as it might be jammed, you will need to isolate the main supply (use a spanner on the handle to get more levereage if it is stiff) then use a spanner to unscrew the tap assemby where it joins the tap body, there will be a place for a 2omm (approx) spanner to go on, hold onto the tap body where it is screwed to the wall or you will pull the whole thing off the wall, when you remove the tap head it will have a rubber washer on the end of it, or it will have come off and be stuck insed the tap body, remoe with a screwdriver and refit, screw tap head back in and turn on water and all should be well, OR GET A PLUMBER IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say 'isolate the main supply' what do you mean? If on the tap, how do I do this?

I would get a plumber in but I can't afford it unless absolutely necessary. :(

Thanks very much, Carrie

When you say 'isolate the main supply' what do you mean? If on the tap, how do I do this?

I would get a plumber in but I can't afford it unless absolutely necessary. :(

Thanks very much, Carrie

you will need to turn off your main supply to the house(if you strip he tap and free the washer the water will be flooding everywhere!!!!!!!!)

If it is a tap with integral check valve, the valve could have been damaged by freezing during the winter.

Personally if i was you and that skint id turn the water off at the mains, go to the tap and slightly undo it from the back plate then turn water on, look to see if there is water coming from the tap from wer you loosened it, any water will gush on the floor but after all its outside! if there is water its obv the tap. So just buy a tap for a few quid and swap it. all you will need is ptfe tap and some water hawk or similar. Everyone was a novice at some point.

you will need to turn off your main supply to the house(if you strip he tap and free the washer the water will be flooding everywhere!!!!!!!!)

No, I can't turn off the water as I mentioned, as the stopcock is jammed, and I've tried to turn it but it won't budge. :(

and yes, it is like the tap you mention.

Thanks for your replies, but unfortunately I'm stuck because of the stopcock being jammed. I'm not that skint but I was trying to avoid calling out a plumber if possible because of the call out charge and then the labour & I AM having to watch my money.

Thanks anyway. :)

If it is a tap with integral check valve, the valve could have been damaged by freezing during the winter.

Would that mean that the top of the tap would just unscrew when I turn it, there's no actual tension that you usually feel when you turn it on or off?

If you can't turn the water off I'd see to this soon. If you get another problem (say a WC that starts leaking) or another tap that fails you'll have to turn the water off.

A new outside tap and some PTFE tape won't cost much as mentioned above.

you mentioned you loosened the nut on the tap "under the t bar" try this on your main stopcock, when you loosen the nut you should be able to turn your stopcock (REMEMBER TO TIGHTEN THE NUT WHEN YOU ARE DONE AS SOME WATER WILL PROB DRIP OUT OF IT)

Great, thanks ever so much for your replies. Will try this out over the weekend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed please as outside tap doesn't work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock