Search the forum,

Discuss Help me with the name of a tool? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerry_Dee

Im looking for the name of a plumbing tool. Basically you put it in the end of a pipe and hammer it and it widens the pipe. Does anyone know the name of it? Thanks.

I just googled a flaring tool and its not that. Its a metal cylinder which fits in the pipe and you hammer the top.

Thanks socket former is what I was looking for. Where the hell can you buy one?

no one sells them as it is all too much hassle to use now, mine came from an end of line bin for peanuts, used the 22mm one once to date

Are they not really used these days then? Forgive me I've only started using them at college

it would take too long now to do all your joints so why bother when you have ef fittings instead, and dont worry about me calling you thickie, thats a complement from me :) I suspect your tutors are short of stock or finding you things to do.

not as popular as they were as fittings are cheaper than they've ever beenany good merchants will still have them or get you one handy for opening a bit of copper thats been frozen and wont go in to a fitting

Last edited:
You haven't a freeze in Devon then lame? A drift comes in very handy then.

I've been meaning to buy a set only for if there very rare occasion comes that I've got no fittings or the pipes froze and I can't get a fitting on

I carry a socket former just in case i run out and am miles away

I thought people stopped using these as it was not approved by WRAS, im probably wrong, but if it is WRAS you could still use it on CH.

Yes you are wrong.
It is still in british standards and verified by gas safe tec support to be ok after i questioned them re the matter

Yes you are wrong.
It is still in british standards and verified by gas safe tec support to be ok after i questioned them re the matter

when did you check with gas safe because im sure i saw a topic on here not so long ago saying gas safe dont allow it as it thins and weakens the copper

Pipe splitting tool , Only use on quality stuff !!
(that's probably nothing bought by tight landlords recently)

A few weeks ago. And it is still in the british standards.
This has been done to death. I quoted the standard in a previous post

89248b267b7a81c2519eeb121a17304e.jpg

Dunno if you can make that out

Its from the gas safe website engineers bit
If you log on you will see
that is the standard to which we work with copper
Bit of a giveaway on the top corner - if its not gas there is no hope left [emoji1]

16be6eba809c2a402ed3e0ac79b0dcbb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help me with the name of a tool? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Hello all, my name is Michael and I am 18. I have my level 2 and 3 qualifications in plumbing and I also have a full driving licence I cant find an apprenticeship. I'm based near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire (between Leeds and York). Does anyone know anybody that might want to take me on as an...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in London and the Southeast I'm looking for an experienced self employed engineer (or another ltd company like myself), own transport, tools etc. good rates...
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
my bathroom sink (installed 2017) was broken recently and needs replacing. on inspection there is no brand name and only a few markings so I'm guessing its a trade sink that plumbers would buy. The sink has 1708 indented in the china which i guess is a model number but doesnt show up on google...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock