Search the forum,

Discuss Help me understand sealed system pressure please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

will123

Hi,

We've moved into a new house that has a sealed central heating system with an Ideal boiler providing heat for the central heating and water cylinder.

I had a problem where I was getting air in the system and losing a little pressure, but I found a loose but on a radiator and tightened it which fixed the air problem.

I then topped the system up to 1 bar and this pressure held for just over a week before dropping to 0.8.

I thought the pressure should remain the same, so I called in a plumber. We are in a new build house so it is all under warranty. He checked for leaks and couldn't find anything. He recommended topping the system up to 1.5 bar, so we did. He then said that he expected the pressure could drop to between 1.3 and 1.4.

Well that was over three weeks ago and up until today the pressure has held at 1.5 bar. However, today it has dropped to 1.4.

Why is this? I mean I know the plumber said to expect this, but why now and why the drop?

All the pressured I mentioned above are from when the system is cold.

Thanks for listening, I'm just one of those homeowners who likes to understand what's going on!

It is not possible to teach you every aspect of a heating system. If it works, leave it alone. If it stops call an engineer. What the plumber has said is fine. Water contracts and expands with heat so the pressure will fluctuate. Fresh water has some bubbles in which will disperse, often via an auto air vent in the boiler, and some pressure will go. It is common to have to top up a system after it's first filling/usage for up to 3 weeks.

Thanks guys. I guess I am just overly paranoid with having both a new house and a new child!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help me understand sealed system pressure please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable After i re-pressurize to 1.5 bar, using tap is ok without problem. but when turn on the central heating, the pressure rises over 2 and the error code 117 showing water pressure high After i did the bleeding and re-pressurize to 1.3 bar, the heating is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock