Search the forum,

Discuss Help locating a rectangular waste trap for kitchen sink? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I am hoping someone can advise on this.....bought a 1.5 bowl sink a while ago from B&Q but never got around to fitting it.

Now decided to fit it in my utility room but upon having a look at it the smaller of the two bowls appears to have a rectangular slotted waste exit in the bottom as in the photo below. I've scoured the web for a suitable fitting but can't locate anything at all. I don't even know if I'm searching using the correct keywords! (rectangular sink bowl waste trap etc).

Any suggestions on where to find something that will fit? Image below:-

sink2.jpg

Rectangular sink Overflow should get better results.

Is this in the side of the 1/2 bowl near the top as an overlfow or in the bottom as a drain?

It will have a fairly standard fitting behind it, but you may have to buy a waste with overflow to get it and just use the overflow.

Something like this may do but check sizes, there should be an outlet in the main sink waste to accept the pipe

Last edited:
Rectangular sink Overflow should get better results.

Is this in the side of the 1/2 bowl near the top as an overlfow or in the bottom as a drain?

It will have a fairly standard fitting behind it, but you may have to buy a waste with overflow to get it and just use the overflow.

Something like this may do but check sizes, there should be an outlet in the main sink waste to accept the pipe

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes - it is in the bottom of the sink as the drain rather than being mounted on the side as an overflow.

Would this sort of thing be what I was looking at?:-

Looks like that would do, if the size matches.
You may not need the chrome / stainless grid in the bottom of the sink, it looks like the sink is designed not to have one and the one in the kit has square corners so wouldn't fit.
Also the sink has a counter sunk hole for the screw, the kit ones are raised head.

Have you got the waste for the main bowl and does that bowl have an oveflow or does it overflow into the small bowl?

This may do, it's probably intended for when the sink oveflows to the drainer hence it's description single bowl.

Last edited:
Would this sort of thing be what I was looking at?:-
The outlet on that fitting is going to come out horizontally, which is probably going to cause build up of fat, rotting food, etc. and a continual continual foul smell.

It looks to me as though that sink was manufactured incorrectly. In any case, it should have come with the correct fitting kit. If you've got time on your hands try shaming B&Q into giving you a refund or a discount on a replacement.

If I were you, I'd write it off to experience and get a sink that has standard holes for standard fittings.

Hi all, I am hoping someone can advise on this.***.bought a 1.5 bowl sink a while ago from B&Q but never got around to fitting it.

Now decided to fit it in my utility room but upon having a look at it the smaller of the two bowls appears to have a rectangular slotted waste exit in the bottom as in the photo below. I've scoured the web for a suitable fitting but can't locate anything at all. I don't even know if I'm searching using the correct keywords! (rectangular sink bowl waste trap etc).

Any suggestions on where to find something that will fit? Image below:-

View attachment 61225

Here is a suggestion for a bodge 😀

If the underside of the sink is fairly flat, you might be able to use the plastic component from this, complete with gasket, on the underside:
and then a grille, something like this, on top to spread the load from the nut and bolt you would need to find:

I suspect the dimensions would not be quite right, but it might be functional!

As mentioned, probably easier to buy a new sink unless you enjoy a challenge!

And just a further thought @Tango22, is the waste grille you show in the bottom of an actual bowl of the sink, or is it in a recessed "draining board" section? I ask because there are a few draining board waste fittings about.

Last edited:
Here is a suggestion for a bodge 😀

If the underside of the sink is fairly flat, you might be able to use the plastic component from this, complete with gasket, on the underside:
and then a grille, something like this, on top to spread the load from the nut and bolt you would need to find:

I suspect the dimensions would not be quite right, but it might be functional!

it looks like a composition sink, so alternatively you might be able to cut a round hole to fit a traditional type of waste, but without a countersunk recess to accommodate the edge of the waste, the sink wouldn't drain fully.
As mentioned, probably easier to buy a new sink unless you enjoy a challenge!

And just a further thought @Tango22, is the waste grille you show in the bottom of an actual bowl of the sink, or is it in a recessed "draining board" section? I ask because there are a few draining board waste fittings about.
Hi,

Thanks. Yes....its in the draining bowl section immediately to the right of the main sink.

Hi,

Thanks. Yes....its in the draining bowl section immediately to the right of the main sink.
OK, so ignore my previous suggestion.

Would this sort of thing be big enough?
(needs a gasket I think)
The metal grille I suggested above might be the right size then?

Reply to Help locating a rectangular waste trap for kitchen sink? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock