Search the forum,

Discuss Help, Leaking flush pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve discovered a slow leak behind my toilet that’s maybe been slowly leaking for a few years before we have moved in. I’ve replaced chipboard as it was soaked through. Seems to be coming from the flush pipe attached to cistern. The rubber washer seemed in ok condition, the hard plastic washer was snapped. I’ve replaced rubber washer and only flat washer I could get was a rubber one not hard plastic. Tightened up, still leaking. Earlier I discovered at the back of the white plastic thread that’s attached to the cistern itself there are 3 small chips out of it. I take it these are not supposed to be here and what’s causing the small leak? Thanks

Attachments

• 4B14DB64-F06D-46EC-834C-3F9AB4E48EA0.jpeg
    4B14DB64-F06D-46EC-834C-3F9AB4E48EA0.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 18
I take it that is a low level toilet, with exposed flush pipe?

Inside that pipe you can see a faint black line from where the rubber cone washer sits and as you correctly say one of the notches goes higher than this line and so will cause a slight leak.

You could replace the syphon to solve this.

But I would first try just sawing off the pipe immediately above that notch, use a fine hacksaw blade and then dress with a file.
This should get you out of trouble for now.

As above either saw or if your confident using a grinder you could sand it off

I take it that is a low level toilet, with exposed flush pipe?

Inside that pipe you can see a faint black line from where the rubber cone washer sits and as you correctly say one of the notches goes higher than this line and so will cause a slight leak.

You could replace the syphon to solve this.

But I would first try just sawing off the pipe immediately above that notch, use a fine hacksaw blade and then dress with a file.
This should get you out of trouble for now.
It’s a toilet and sink that’s built into a wooden unit. But when removing parts of the wooden unit the flush pipe is exposed. Would sawing off be a permanent fix? I’m going to be replacing full suite maybe a year from now. Cheers

Wish I noticed the 3 notches at the back in the beginning would have saved me a load of time. Wasn’t until I tried different washers, adjusted flush pipe and cistern then still leaking that I had a feel around the actual syphon thread. Is it a common thing for the syphon thread to break apart?

Yes would be a permanent fix aslong as the flush pipe goes in past the washer a good 10-15mm

Quick question, below where the rubber washer sits do I need a flat washer. Original one had one but was a snapped plastic one. In a packet I got from B&Q it never had a flat washer. Got another packet from B&Q and it came with a flat rubber washer. Do I need or not, if so, rubber or hard plastic one? Cheers 👍🏻

Depends on the nut does the washer sit in the nut fully and the nut fit with a mm or two slop on the flush pipe ok ?

I would say your fine then don’t need the plastic spacer washer

Flush pipe now not leaking due to the advise off cutting small piece from it thanks 👍🏻. Is it normal to get dripping condensation from cistern, would this cause an issue?

Attachments

• BC25F5E1-56F8-4D1A-AB43-070096B23257.jpeg
    BC25F5E1-56F8-4D1A-AB43-070096B23257.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 7
Normally if the house is warm and the water coming in is very cold wipe it off shouldn’t come back until you flush again

Some concealed cisterns have a polystyrene jacket up to the waterline to prevent condensation- you could replicate this if you wanted, probably just stuff in some rock wool insulation all around between cistern and cabinet.

Reply to Help, Leaking flush pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock