Search the forum,

Discuss Help identifying component on gas supply pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been surveying an empty house for an insurance company. The gas supply was isolated at a quarter turn ball valve upstream of the meter, but there was also a component upstream of that valve that I didn't recognise. Attached to it
Gas pipe label.jpg
was a Southern Gas Networks label that had a tick at the 'full disconnection' box. The only gas appliance was the boiler and I had no intention of opening the ball valve to see what was going on.

Can anyone tell me what the grey component just above the label is? I wondered if it could be a permanent isolation device fitted by SGN.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Ph Ser.

Above the reducer there's an elbow and then another (plastic) fitting that I don't recognise. After that the ball valve and the meter. The SGN label is ticked at the 'full disconnection' box but it seems to me that the only isolation is closed valve.

Gas pipe 2.jpg

No way. The house has been empty for at least a year so who knows what's going on. I'm definitely not touching any part of the gas supply.

Partly this is self-education - I like to know what I'm looking at and these are new components to me. Partly I'm trying to judge whether the insurance company will need to get SGN out before they get a plumber out.

No way. The house has been empty for at least a year so who knows what's going on. I'm definitely not touching any part of the gas supply.

Partly this is self-education - I like to know what I'm looking at and these are new components to me. Partly I'm trying to judge whether the insurance company will need to get SGN out before they get a plumber out.
The fitting with the plug usually means the steel service has been inserted with a new plastic service. The plugs allow the annular space between the steel and plastic to be filled.
http://www.stevevick.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Gas-Service-Insertion-6pp-2017.pdf

Late to this one but as none have got it maybe I can help for the future. The first fitting with the 2 plugs in is a service head adaptor. This means the service is plastic slotted inside the steel....the holes are used to ‘foam it off’ basically inject a fire proof substance which coats the plastic in the event of a fire.
The second is an ‘IJ’ or insulation joint. This is there in the event an electrical fault develops in the street and travels up the steel service, it will reach this joint which melts and stops continuity to stop internal pipes going live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help identifying component on gas supply pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock