Search the forum,

Discuss Help, hot water from the bathroom taps won't shut off completely! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to do some maintenance on the bath shower mixer tap but I cannot get the hot water to shut off completely.
I have fully turned the gate valve off supplying the cylinder from the tank in the loft buy its still flowing slightly from the bathroom taps and doesn't appear to be stopping.
Can anyone tell me what I can do?

Either drain down and replace the gate valve at the same time, freeze the pipes either side and replace gate valve, or depending on maintenance snatch it.

But not recommend if your not experienced enough as if it goes wrong it goes wrong :D

1. If there is even a trickle of water, freezing is likely to fail even with an electric freeze kit.
2. You could consider getting a pair of "bungs" (e.g. Toolstation 31768). Then:
2a. Force one into the feed from the loft cold water storage cistern to stop the flow. Get someone else to make sure it stays in place with something like a broom handle.
2b. Replace the gate valve with a quarter turn lever valve. If that's too difficult (for example, the lever valve is shorter than the gate valve), cut the pipes and insert the lever valve down stream of the gate valve.
2c. Shut the water off with the lever valve.
2d. Remove the bung.

Ah okay but its a bit more than a trickle, I wanted to take the lever off that switches between the taps and shower as its a bit stiff...
Ahh, ok. So you may want to freeze, or indeed bung the cistern to change the gate valve, or drain the cistern.

1. If there is even a trickle of water, freezing is likely to fail even with an electric freeze kit.
2. You could consider getting a pair of "bungs" (e.g. Toolstation 31768). Then:
2a. Force one into the feed from the loft cold water storage cistern to stop the flow. Get someone else to make sure it stays in place with something like a broom handle.
2b. Replace the gate valve with a quarter turn lever valve. If that's too difficult (for example, the lever valve is shorter than the gate valve), cut the pipes and insert the lever valve down stream of the gate valve.
2c. Shut the water off with the lever valve.
2d. Remove the bung.
Okay sounds like good advice to me, I can do that not problem. Thanks for your input dude👍

Reply to Help, hot water from the bathroom taps won't shut off completely! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock