Search the forum,

Discuss Help heating not working downstairs tried replacing the pump in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi! My heating is working fine upstairs but downstairs is very hit and miss. Of the 6 radiators downstairs only 3 work. All radiators have been bleed and drained multiple times. I have fitted a new pump in the boiler but 3 radiators are still stone cold. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Post a few more details about your system. Are there zone valves controlling the floors separately? Is it an open or closed system? Does it have the correct amount of inhibitor? Is the system water clean or dirty, etc.?

Post a few more details about your system. Are there zone valves controlling the floors separately? Is it an open or closed system? Does it have the correct amount of inhibitor? Is the system water clean or dirty, etc.?
Pins stuck on trvs...
They have been changed. This was done late last year and since then the heating has only been used occasionally.
[automerge]1602838737[/automerge]
Its an open system. The zone valves are not separate. Inhibitor has been changed twice and the system water is clean.
[automerge]1602838784[/automerge]
This is most likely caused by a problem with your central heating pump and can often happen when your heating has been switched off for a few months.
I just changed the pump. Prior to the pump not being changed none of the downstairs heaters worked. Now 3 are working.

Re three cold rads, if they have the vents in a 1 ins plug then there should be another (blank) plug at the opposite end, suggest (with boiler/circ pump off) shutting both TRV & lock shield valves, de pressurise rad with normal vent to ensure valves are holding then shut it, remove the blank plug and flush separately from either end into a bucket for a few minutes, if/when complete/satisfied run boiler to those 3 rads only and see how you get on.

Reply to Help heating not working downstairs tried replacing the pump in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
sorry for a dumb question beforehand we are having a strange issue where our downstair heating is not working on a S plan open vented system. the upstairs ones works fine. things tried so far radiators professionally flushed changed water pump regularly bled radiator but they dont bleed any...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock