Search the forum,

Discuss Help - Gas Portfolio building in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I am starting a gas training course next month ( PG1 ) which initially involves 12 full day classroom sessions ( theory and practical study ) after which i am required to find work experience where i will be supervised by a gas safe engineer. For my portfolio, i must provide a variety of 40 supervised jobs ( minimum ) in a 6 - 8 month period after which i will be assessed for ACS gas safe certification. I am in Lincoln and i am in search for help on this. There are companies set up for this but they are all miles away such as Manchester :(

Thankyou

Rick
[automerge]1568274752[/automerge]
Hi,
Forgot to tell you about myself. I am a 25 year served consumer electronics repair engineer, repairing televisions, VCRs etc down to tumble dryers and washing machines. unfortunately, electronics repair in the small shop is being swallowed by big corporations, and huge scale repair numbers become a time issue where huge quantity turnover has to be fulfilled, and therefore the repair becomes a 'throw away board swapping' policy which puts the skilled repair technician in a bad position. A position that can be replaced by anyone that can change a pcb. This is why i am changing my career and if there is one thing i can use in the new career of plumbing and heating, is the ability to repair boiler pcbs.

Thanks

Rick

Last edited:
What's your background? Reason I ask is if you were an Ice cream man before starting your 12 day course, then I'd say save your money as it's likely nobody would even consider letting you loose on any gas jobs after just 12 days in a training centre. Not being arsey, you need to sell yourself as there are loads of people from non plumbing/gas type backgrounds doing these courses and then struggling to get anyone to let them work on paying jobs. Unfortunately, time is money in this job so spending an hour and half fitting a cooker for instance is not worth it for most people.
Most of these centres don't care whether you can complete a portfolio or not as long as you cough up your money.

What about a sparky course just thinking you have a background in electronics

Hi thanks for your replies and honest opinion. My background is as follows:
Started as repair tech repairing CRTs and then phones. Then i became a field engineer installing fixed mobility hoists. After that, spent 5 years as a fire, intruder and CCTV installer and repair/service engineer. Now back on TV repair. I have done plumbing for myself. Prefer soldering joints which i am good at. Haven't used PEX. The reason i chose plumbing and heating is because a colleague of mine has completed his ACS and working for himself now so he could be my mentor but it is the long travelling to west Yorkshire. Good question Shaun. I could complete a sparky course in a shorter time than usual with my qualifications but i have friends who are sparkies and self employed, They have 'dry' periods. I think that because plumbing and heating is mechanical in nature, the probability of a boiler breaking down or pipe blockage or problems caused by the freak weather we have, is alot higher than an electrical fault. I may be wrong but this is how i was always taught in electronics. Assume a mechanical failure before an electrical failure. Sorry to waffle on, but this is why i chose to do plumbing an heating ( along with my colleague's success )
I have to sit 12 classroom full day sessions but then i am given a 6 month home study course. I have already bought books on plumbing and heating which i have studied for the last 2 months, and i am now familiar with open vented y and s plan systems and also unvented systems. I have learnt some basic gas regs such as gas supply pipe width considerations depending on gas appliance loading and run length and connections..all to keep pressure drop within 1 mBar

Last edited:
one thing i can use in the new career of plumbing and heating, is the ability to repair boiler pcbs.

I won't comment on whether going the ACS route is right for you or not, it's your choice.

But re PCBs, you won't need that ability.
No-one repairs boiler PCBs onsite.
There are a few companies that do offer repaired PCBs.

You won't find any gas appliance manufacturer that approves of 3rd party repairs to PCBs, or any other components.
I don't believe you'll find any manufacturers that offer exchange repaired PCBs.

Unlike Tvs etc, PCBs in boilers are a safety critical item.

Something you need to keep in mind in any field but more so in working with Gas is if you were standing in court trying to defend youself against legal action for damage to property and or persons and you are asked;
Was the work you did equal to or better than normal industry standards and practices and equal to or better than Gas appliance manufacturers recommendations.

Ironically the fact you are even in court normally suggests it wasn't.

My background; now retired with over 30 years Commercial electrical and electronic controls followed by 20 years Corgi /Gassafe registered working on commercial building gas equipment and services.

I'm about 25miles down the road from you in Scunthorpe, I can't offer you any experience as it's not my firm and we don't do that much gas either. But have you actually rang any companies round your area? From Lincoln any town within a 25mile radius is easy enough to get to and there's loads of companies to try. Send letters instead of phoning though, alot of guys wont have the time to listen to you selling yourself on the phone while theyre trying to work, but will have 5 minutes to read a well writen letter when they get home, You'll also have to decide what you want to do, are you wanting the training so you can go self employed or just looking for a company to work for. I can tell you that not many firms will want to train someone up for a few months so they can leave and become a competitor. You also won't get the experience you need within 40 jobs either, You'll pass the course but not learn the trade. Look at getting with a firm for a couple of years and learn the trade before you look at self employment.

I'm about 25miles down the road from you in Scunthorpe, I can't offer you any experience as it's not my firm and we don't do that much gas either. But have you actually rang any companies round your area? From Lincoln any town within a 25mile radius is easy enough to get to and there's loads of companies to try. Send letters instead of phoning though, alot of guys wont have the time to listen to you selling yourself on the phone while theyre trying to work, but will have 5 minutes to read a well writen letter when they get home, You'll also have to decide what you want to do, are you wanting the training so you can go self employed or just looking for a company to work for. I can tell you that not many firms will want to train someone up for a few months so they can leave and become a competitor. You also won't get the experience you need within 40 jobs either, You'll pass the course but not learn the trade. Look at getting with a firm for a couple of years and learn the trade before you look at self employment.
Thanks for the advice. That's where i'm from originally ( Scunthorpe ..born and bred there ). I will write to some companies as you suggest ( good point about being too busy to listen on phone whilst working :) ) I was looking at boiler installs and servicing along with general plumbing. Thanks
[automerge]1568293696[/automerge]
I won't comment on whether going the ACS route is right for you or not, it's your choice.

You won't find any gas appliance manufacturer that approves of 3rd party repairs to PCBs, or any other components.
I don't believe you'll find any manufacturers that offer exchange repaired PCBs.

Something you need to keep in mind in any field but more so in working with Gas is if you were standing in court trying to defend youself against legal action for damage to property and or persons and you are asked;
Was the work you did equal to or better than normal industry standards and practices and equal to or better than Gas appliance manufacturers recommendations.

My background; now retired with over 30 years Commercial electrical and electronic controls followed by 20 years Corgi /Gassafe registered working on commercial building gas equipment and services.
Thanks for the advice. Yes i understand the importance about safe gas practice and following installations or repair to regulations. Regarding the PCBs.. i wasn't aware of none repairs to pcbs but i fully understand why. However, i haven't started my course yet and now understand how difficult it will be to progress in this field. I may have no choice but to pay private for an intense portfolio building course, especially if i want to work on my own eventually.

Last edited:
Tricky Guns,

I suggest that you re-review the requirements of the Awarding Body you are using for your ACS examination. Most (all that I know of) require as a minimum:

17 days theoretical training ( including exam)
12 days practical training (including exam)
5 days ACS ( including 2 revision days)

Portfolio:
5 instals
5 service or landlord certificates.

That gives you ( assuming you pass) the basic ACS to apply for Gas Safe Regustration to work on boilers. After six months you can then do a further 5 days training to qualify for cookers and fires et al, without having to submit further portfolio evidence.

If you have a friend who is both qualified and insured to mentor you for the portfolio, I would use them - even if it involves extensive travel. Paying to build a portfolio is not a route I would recommend - unless you are absolutely sure that the training provider is going to accept the portfolio you present ( most portfolios require re-work)

Hope this helps

Tricky Guns,

I suggest that you re-review the requirements of the Awarding Body you are using for your ACS examination. Most (all that I know of) require as a minimum:

17 days theoretical training ( including exam)
12 days practical training (including exam)
5 days ACS ( including 2 revision days)

Portfolio:
5 instals
5 service or landlord certificates.

That gives you ( assuming you pass) the basic ACS to apply for Gas Safe Regustration to work on boilers. After six months you can then do a further 5 days training to qualify for cookers and fires et al, without having to submit further portfolio evidence.

If you have a friend who is both qualified and insured to mentor you for the portfolio, I would use them - even if it involves extensive travel. Paying to build a portfolio is not a route I would recommend - unless you are absolutely sure that the training provider is going to accept the portfolio you present ( most portfolios require re-work)

Hope this helps
Hi Brambles. Thankyou for your information. Yes it does help alot thanks. The transition to a new trade can be confusing and costly when there are so many companies offering the route to an ACS with no real guidance as to what you actually get at the end of your training. The course i will be doing involves

3 weeks in the classroom ( 4 day weeks ) which consists of practical work and theory. Then you are given a study course which you take away and study in the period 6-8 months which is the norm but can take up to a year if desired. In this time, you are requested to build a portfolio of no less than 40 installations including a variety of work i.e cooker installs and gas fires . I think that if you cant find a mentor the tutor will find you one ( i am just trying to locate one myself in my area ). After 20 weeks you are pulled in for review to see how you are progressing and if struggling something can be done i presume. After 6- 8 months you are required to fulfil a 4 day examination ( practical and theory ) and if you pass you are gas safe registered. #
It so happens i have a friend who passed 2 months ago using the same company as me, and is out there in the field along with other long term experienced gas safe engineers ( 2- 3 on installs ) so he has taken me under his wing and i am travellling to his jobs ( like you suggested ) so it should work out :). Thanks very much for your guidance. I appreciate your help. I am 51 so dont really want to go down the apprentice route at my age

I don’t know where the idea you can’t repair PCBs for a gas appliance has come from but so long as the person repairing them is competent to do so, carries liability insurance and components are replaced on a like for like basis there is absolutely no reason not to repair.

You realise 1000’s of products from fire and gas detection cards to aircraft components are undergo third party repair every day.

I don’t know where the idea you can’t repair PCBs for a gas appliance has come from but so long as the person repairing them is competent to do so, carries liability insurance and components are replaced on a like for like basis there is absolutely no reason not to repair.

You realise 1000’s of products from fire and gas detection cards to aircraft components are undergo third party repair every day.

Normally certified from the manufacturer to do so tho

Normally certified from the manufacturer to do so tho

Nope, the manufacturer might try and make you think that but it’s nonsense. I know this because I’ve been doing similar rapiers/redesigns for obsolete equipment for blue chip companies for 10 years.

Do you not think if there was any legal basis for it the manufacturers would have banned anyone who wasn’t “accredited” from repairing/installing their equipment?

Last edited:
I say go for it pal it’s pretty much same as I did, left school at 16 with nowt to show, became an apprentice sparky then worked at that for about 20 years mainly subby-ing to shopfitting firms, got sick of working away so I jumped on a gas course, passed that and now I’m a one man band gas engineer doing small installs, repairs, landlords certs etc, have been for just shy of 10 years.
I won’t kid you and say it was easy, far from it, it’s been tough at times but somehow I just managed to muscle my way through it.
[automerge]1568531939[/automerge]
I will also add that I got no help from the training centre with any placements, tbh it was a bit of a fiddle really, I did a part time classroom course which took about a year, just went on a Saturday which suited me cos I could work monday-friday sparkying, we were all promised plenty of placements to workaround our working life, but when It came to the crunch, trainees were expected to pack their jobs in to go full time at a firm for free, that didn’t sit right with the rest of them cos they had wives and kids etc and it’s not what they were promised.
I did mine ok cos I have a mate who’s done it for years so I just worked with him as much as I could, every weekend, some holidays etc.
I still keep in touch with a few of the guys on the course, but out of 11 who started (with varying jobs like landscape gardener, welder, bin man, delivery driver for Greggs) I was the only one who went back for the ACS exam.

So you gotta know what letting yourself in for!!

Last edited:
I say go for it pal it’s pretty much same as I did, left school at 16 with nowt to show, became an apprentice sparky then worked at that for about 20 years mainly subby-ing to shopfitting firms, got sick of working away so I jumped on a gas course, passed that and now I’m a one man band gas engineer doing small installs, repairs, landlords certs etc, have been for just shy of 10 years.
I won’t kid you and say it was easy, far from it, it’s been tough at times but somehow I just managed to muscle my way through it.
[automerge]1568531939[/automerge]
I will also add that I got no help from the training centre with any placements, tbh it was a bit of a fiddle really, I did a part time classroom course which took about a year, just went on a Saturday which suited me cos I could work monday-friday sparkying, we were all promised plenty of placements to workaround our working life, but when It came to the crunch, trainees were expected to pack their jobs in to go full time at a firm for free, that didn’t sit right with the rest of them cos they had wives and kids etc and it’s not what they were promised.
I did mine ok cos I have a mate who’s done it for years so I just worked with him as much as I could, every weekend, some holidays etc.
I still keep in touch with a few of the guys on the course, but out of 11 who started (with varying jobs like landscape gardener, welder, bin man, delivery driver for Greggs) I was the only one who went back for the ACS exam.

So you gotta know what letting yourself in for!!
Hi Stu, thanks for sharing how you entered into the gas & plumbing game and how you pulled through your training. Yes it seems that i following the same path as you ( working with a friend who has passed Gas Safe ). It seems to me like these courses are quite 'cut throat' and just in it for the money as stated by someone previously on this thread. The centre i will train at, said that if i cannot find a mentor, they would help ( not so sure now from what you have said ).They must teach you enough to get by and leave you to walk through the woods on your own. The chap i am latched onto for my portfolio building has recently passed his gas safe and he is a friend and work collegue in the electronics repair job that we both do. I think knowing a friend in the gas trade is a big advantage because as people have stated to me earlier in this thread, no-one is going to train you unless you quit your job and go on their books because there would be nothing in it for them. Not sure if payment for their expertise training would help. I suppose i have to ask myself how badly i need to do this and as i have help with my portfolio, i am in a good position providing i am willing to travel to each install on my days off work which i have started to do even before my course starts to get ahead a little. I have learnt alot myself before the course even starts by reading books and i now confidently know s and y plan systems, vented and unvented systems and combi boiler systems..how they work and what the componets are.
Glad to hear that you pulled through and its a shame that so many pulled out from their ACS due to no tailored placements around work hours. I feel very lucky to get help despite the travelling, and i am determined to do this.

Reply to Help - Gas Portfolio building in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock