Search the forum,

Discuss Help for Gas Portfolio Building (NVQ Level 3 Plumber) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone!

I’m currently a 24 year old level 3 NVQ plumber from the Manchester area, I am starting a gas training course next month which after/during the course I am required to find work experience where i will be supervised by a gas safe engineer. For my portfolio, i must provide a variety of jobs which after i will be assessed for ACS gas safe certification. I’m currently at a commercial based company where we don’t really touch any gas so opportunities for evidence on my portfolio are virtually impossible. So basically I’m trying to gain some evidence preferably on the weekend/evening if possible due to work demands in the week, if anyone can help (or direct) me in the right way to get through my Gas that would be great. (Manchester Area but willing to travel on weekends)

Thanks everyone

Good luck Connor, at least you have some plumbing quals.

The system is a mess. Why should YOU have to be trying to find a mentor. There are thousands of RGI's, but most of us have no interest in training our own competition for no benefit in return.

Not many folk are doing normal plumbing on evenings and weekends - and call outs are not conducive to mentoring.

Do the course providers give any advice at all on how to get someone to help with your portfolio. Do they, as i suspect, give yuo the impression that we are all desperate to help in return for "free" labour.?

Nt trying to pis$ on your parade, just thatthe training industry does my head in, and hope you are successful

Thanks for your reply!

I completely understand where you’re coming from and I agree it’s so frustrating all the training providers are bothered about is the lump sum of money, at this point I’d even probably offer to pay to work with someone for the day to get the evidence as people are just not desperate for free labour these days and it’s the only incentive I can see working which would help both parties.

I agree the whole gas training needs a complete overhaul but you don't need it for your Plumbing & Heating 6189 Level 3, if your company can't provide you with the necessary site gas experience why was the gas pathway chosen ?

Im in the same boat. I need to get my on-site evidence which means lots of photos or me doing a tightness test, visual inspection, purge and relight etc etc. The list goes on.

1 GSR engineer I spoke to said that the problem is his traders liability insurance wont cover me to go with him so if I make a mess of things, hes in trouble.

Best advice Iv had is email your local council. They have a lot of their own properties and gas engineers on call all the time. Maybe they can say yes.
[automerge]1568563818[/automerge]
Btw I did find one GSR engineer who is happy for me to come and work along side him for free but hes not too keen on taking my photos so Im running out of options.

Last edited:
Just keep asking engineers if you see them in their vans just be a bit cheeky you don’t ask you don’t get ,at least you’ve got some pipe work experience so tell them you’ll be at some use so you’ll need to sell your self a bit good luck you’ll get their , I had some building their portfolio with me and always paid them a lot don’t just depends how much use you are

Reply to Help for Gas Portfolio Building (NVQ Level 3 Plumber) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock