Search the forum,

Discuss Help diagnosing bubbling originating in hot water cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I recently replaced a dead central heating pump in my home, so drained down the system completely, fitted new pump and filled up. What I'm experiencing now is a periodic bubbling noise, it starts in the hot water cylinder on the 1st floor and makes its way to the boiler on the ground floor which in turn starts making gulping noises and then onto the pump which makes a high pitched noise.

So it sounds like air in the system but I would have expected this air to make it's way from the pump through to the radiators and I'd be able to bleed from there? All the radiators have no air in them.

So then I decided to turn off the flow valve to the HWC coil and what do you know the bubbling noise completely disappears.

My system is an open system from what I can determine, I have two tanks in the attic, a small one for the CH and the larger cold water tank. Neither tank has a return pipe but the CH tank has a T-Junction, one side feeds the system and the other side leads to an expansion vessel which I thought was used in closed systems.

Thesystem is basic, the water and heating operate at the same time, by turning off the flow valve on the HWC I can then get the radiators to work without issue. I've been using the immersion heater on the HWC to see me through. Also to add I believe this issue was possibly occurring before I replaced the pump and may have been the cause of the original pump dying.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Just went and checked the old pump there, it could only be orientated a certain way for the wiring to fit so I'm able to say for certain that the pump is the right way round

Just went and checked the old pump there, it could only be orientated a certain way for the wiring to fit so I'm able to say for certain that the pump is the right way round
The head will spin round to a different position to make wiring accessible so I wouldn't go of that.
There is a directional arrow on the body normally.
If you are unsure, can you post photo's?

The head will spin round to a different position to make wiring accessible so I wouldn't go of that.
There is a directional arrow on the body normally.
If you are unsure, can you post photo's?
Hi, sorry what I mean is I remember the position the original pump was in and that the wire went into the bottom of the little black controller box. So I held the old pump back up to the new pump and noted that both the stamped directional arrows are pointing upwards towards the first floor and away from the boiler (pump is situated above the gas boiler). I replaced the pump with a like for like unit to try and make the install as handy as possible

Hi, sorry what I mean is I remember the position the original pump was in and that the wire went into the bottom of the little black controller box. So I held the old pump back up to the new pump and noted that both the stamped directional arrows are pointing upwards towards the first floor and away from the boiler (pump is situated above the gas boiler). I replaced the pump with a like for like unit to try and make the install as handy as possible
I see.
Have you vented everything properly?
Is there a vent off the cylinder coil flow?
Any photo's

OK pics are below, I need to make a few corrections on what I said above, there is a return to the bigger cold water tank in the loft. And also the red expansion tank just looked as though it was connected to the out pipe of the smaller CT tank because the insulation was wrapped around the two pipes. Hope this helps!
PXL_20221114_194249199.jpg
PXL_20221114_194405267.jpg
PXL_20221114_194413651.jpg
PXL_20221114_195353562.jpg
PXL_20221114_195444941.jpg

The hot water coil is the same circuit as the flow from the boiler that goes around the heating too. As per @Last Plumber check for an air vent on the cylinder feeds. Check for air vents in the loft too.
I can't see any air vents unfortunately, my understanding was also that the rads and boiler are part of the same circuit so I would have expected the air to find it's way into a rad, probably the first after the pump and then rise to the top of that rad, would that be correct? but all my rads have no air in them

From the photo's and what I can see, you don't have a vent on the flow to the coil and it also looks to have a high point where it shouldn't but it could be photo's.
You need to vent that top pipe from filter to cylinder. I think you're going to have to crack open a fitting. If you're confident and competent you should be OK but if not, get a Plumber in.

I would have expected the air to find it's way into a rad, probably the first after the pump and then rise to the top of that rad, would that be correct? but all my rads have no air in them
You misunderstand, if you have an actual airlock there is no flow there and so the air will not move once it’s at the ‘top’ of it’s pipe. Well designed pipework stops this from happening, or at least provides an airvent at these positions to release the air and re-establish flow.
Ok, with jiggling of pump speed and on/off switching you can sometimes shift the air by ‘pulsing’ , but releasing it from where it’s trapped at high spots is more effective.

Reply to Help diagnosing bubbling originating in hot water cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock