Search the forum,

Discuss Help connecting wall hung toilet to steel frame in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

notoriouseddie

So ive spent the best part of my weekend trying to solve this with no luck.

Recently purchased a Grohle Rapid SL 0.82 wall mounted cistern and a compatible toilet from another company. The steel frame was mounted without too much grief but I cant get the pan to be firmly secured to the frame.

The problem seems to come from two misterious black rubber connectors which im either using incorrectly or are the wrong parts. It appears that they are meant to go into the two holes at the back of the toilet and screw up with the metal rod that goes into the frame. The metal rods are solid when they are screwed into the frame but the connection between the rods and the pan via these black connector is completely flimsy at best!

Im at my wits end with this - Any advise would really be appreciated.

P.S. Ive not done any plasterboarding or tiling over the cistern yet as I wanted to do a dummy run first

2.jpg4.jpg3.jpg1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult to explain...
but you insert the black inserts into the holes and tray and line up the hexagonal nut on the black insert with the small holes on the side of the pan.
Then install your threaded bar at the correct length into the metal hanging frame.. making sure the bars then go into the black inserts.
Then with the hexagonal metal bar insert that into the side of the pan and make sure it fits into the hexaganal connection on the black insert. Then twist it so that the hexagonal nut will push against the metal bar and this will secure the pan to the metal frame.
Hope this helps... villaroy and bosch toilets have a similar hexagonal key which is inserted into the side of the pan...
very tricky and lots of patience is required... good luck

This may help.
[DLMURL]http://www.grohe.co.uk/lib/1/tpi/1473483.pdf[/DLMURL]

Thanks for the replies. That PDF is the same as the instructions provided which shows how to connect everything barr the actual connection made to the toilet.

Manx12, I tried what you suggested (i think) and still there is a fair bit of movement since the rubber bushes coming out the end of that black connector are much narrower than the holes at the back of the toilet if that makes sense?

have you tightened the threaded bar up properly because it looks to me as the bar pulls the fitting through the black piece to force the fingers apart to expand into the hole in the pan. i think i explained that so it can be understood i just about do lol.

the bar only screws in so far. Its either loose or as tight as it can possible go. When its in as tight as it goes the rubber bushes dont spread

I also think I had the black rubber connector back to front first time.

New pictures added5.jpg6.jpg

The second picture is how the plastic insert should be positioned in the pan. the hexagonal nut has to line up with the hole in the side of the pan. Then when using the allen key (might need a lamp to check that the nut is inline with the hole in side) tighten against bar.
Try it without hanging it on the steel frame (if that makes sense)

Just bringing this back to the top, does anyone know the answer to this, I have the same problem, do the black plastic fittings go on after the toilet is in position?

I managed to get it sorted thank god - It wouldnt have been that big a deal if only I had been supplied with instructions and had the rubber connector not been pre-assesmbled back to front!

To connect the toilet you need to have the threaded rod with torpedo-shaped end piece screwed in place on the frame and sticking out the correct distance. To find out how far they should stick out you first need to locate the two small holes, one at each side of the toilet, where you will later tighten the connection with an alan key. You need to measure the distance from the back of the toilet to the centre of these holes. Now, you need to make sure that centre of the wedge within the torpedo-shaped end piece sticks out about 5mm shorter than the distance you measured from the back of the toilet to the side holes. Hope that made sense... :confused:. You also need to make sure that the wedge on the torpedo-shaped piece faces perfectly side on

Here's were it gets tricky...

Put the toilet on its back - From underneath you should be able to place the black rubber connectors into the two allocated holes - They are inserted from the inside of the toilet and the brush/tail bits point towards the toilet frame. You need to feel around and make sure that the little nut at the side of each connector is facing the corresponding hole at the side of the toilet and loose enough for it to slot over the threaded rod and torpedo end piece

Slowly, and with a lot of patience, put the toilet upright again, lift it gently over the threaded rods and east it into position. The trick is to prevent the threaded rod knocking the black connector and moving ot of position.

Once this is done, tighten up the connectors with the alan key through the side holes and you're done! Easy! :p

Let me know how you get on

I see, my threaded bar must be sticking out too much then because thats the way i have done it but the toilet is moving about 1 cm away from the wall, I sort it tomorrow.

Thanks mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help connecting wall hung toilet to steel frame in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A few years ago I installed a wall hung toilet pan in my last house which did not flush well when disposing of waste solids. The water would rise up to the rim then dissipate and usually required further flushing to complete the disposal. I don't recall the brand but the wall mounting frame was...
Replies
Views
My sister bought a new build property which has wall hung toilets, NK by Noke Porcelona The pans are all moving enough for the silicone sealant to fail across the top of the pan and if you put a bit of weight on it it opens up by about 5mm. They've been in use (light use 4 toilets in a holiday...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a search and couldn't find anything related. Installing a wall mounted toilet, unfortunately didn't know this when I put the soil pipe in position. The supplied fitting is now approximately 130mm offset from the vertical connection. Any ideas? (amateur obviously!) Wondered...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the branch) and plan to place it the opposite end of the room. I was pretty lucky to find a 110mm sewer waste pipe below the old sink which is the new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, We have a small bathroom, which currently has the toilet on the outside wall, and the sink on the inside wall. What are the chances/challenges of switching this round, i.e., fitting the toilet to the inside wall? Here's what I mean: So toilet would be hung from the stud wall, with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock