Search the forum,

Discuss Help changing hot water cylinder.... Advise welcomed :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redcuckoo

Hi,

Im looking to change the indirect hot water cylinder in the loft from a 900 x 375 to a 1500 x 450. Reason being is ive had enough of the mrs's complaining the hot water keeps running out when she uses the power shower!!!! Is there anything i need to be aware of when making the change from 1 size to another?? Im thinking its quite a straight forward job but any advise would be greatly appreciated

Whats your skill level ? Pretty straigh swap if its like for like with the only difference being size. Few minor pipework adjustments

Im not a qualified plumber but i do my own plumbing jobs around the house, i normally do all soldered joints where possible so dont think altering any pipework will be a problem. Just wondered if there was anything more technical, such as with the water being gravity feed into the cylinder from a cold water tank, does the new cylinder need to be a certain distance away from the tank etc???I do need to move the position of the cylinder also as the old one is close to the slope of the roof and with the new one being taller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure it's below the level of cold water tank or it won't fill. Apart from that knock yourself out

If its an unvented cylinder (no vent pipe going back over the cold water storage cistern) you must have the G3 qualification to do anything with it and its notifiable to the local council.

If not, you can do it yourself. However, be aware that you are doubling the weight of water to over 2/3 of a ton. Are you sure the joists and support platform can take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help changing hot water cylinder.... Advise welcomed :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder is located directly above the ceiling of a new and expensive kitchen. It does not leak and causes no obvious problems. Should it be replaced? Advice...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock