Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Can't stop radiator leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks

I've ripped and replaced our central heating recently, bar the boiler, mainly fitting Kudox radiators from Screwfix, which are well reviewed. I'd taken advantage of the bundled TRV deal too - mainly Drayton. I've found that 4-5 of the 11 radiators I've fitted have leaked from around one or both of the tails, despite the usual 6 or so clockwise wraps of PTFE tape. I don't know if it's poor manufacturing (ie. the threads on the tails or inside the radiator aren't very accurate) or what. I've managed to fix all of these bar one, with extra PTFE tape and sometimes a bit of jointing compound. In one case, I noticed that the threads on the tail had tiny notches travelling along the length of the tail so I replaced the tail with one that didn't and that seemed to fix the issue, although I did add more PTFE tape and jointing compound, which could have been the fix.

One tail however just keeps on dripping. Any suggestions/tips on an alternative approach?

Cheers
Jez

More ptfe it’s recommend around 15 wraps of pfte tape for a 1/2 thread

If that fails try loctite 577 or 55

I usually stop counting at 12 wraps of ptfe, but put at least 2 more on.

The first wrap I've always rolled the ptfe into a string and wrapped it into the base of the thread, but that comes from being commercial and mainly working with larger threads.

I noticed the scoring on tail threads recently (can't remember make) it was as if they'd been ready roughed up to accept LT55...
Went over to LT 55 this year after advice on the forum and haven't looked back.

Hi folks

I've ripped and replaced our central heating recently, bar the boiler, mainly fitting Kudox radiators from Screwfix, which are well reviewed. I'd taken advantage of the bundled TRV deal too - mainly Drayton. I've found that 4-5 of the 11 radiators I've fitted have leaked from around one or both of the tails, despite the usual 6 or so clockwise wraps of PTFE tape. I don't know if it's poor manufacturing (ie. the threads on the tails or inside the radiator aren't very accurate) or what. I've managed to fix all of these bar one, with extra PTFE tape and sometimes a bit of jointing compound. In one case, I noticed that the threads on the tail had tiny notches travelling along the length of the tail so I replaced the tail with one that didn't and that seemed to fix the issue, although I did add more PTFE tape and jointing compound, which could have been the fix.

One tail however just keeps on dripping. Any suggestions/tips on an alternative approach?

Cheers
Jez
Jezzer, using PTFE tape ....is fine ...but you must counter wrap it so it tightens up as you wind the tail into the radiator stabbing...Then after 10 or so turns you then 'rope' the ptfe
ie... twist it and then finish with a couple of flat wraps. Many stabbings for rads are tapered threads and need this method. If they are straight threads then its easier less ptfe or use splodge as others above suggest...centralheatking

Radiator tails use parallel threads, parallel threads aren’t designed to seal with thread tape. You need an anaerobic thread sealant like Loctite 577. The thread sealant needs to be allows to cure before you pressurise the system, you can get an activator to speed this up.

Ready scored tails? on Drayton

Attachments

• 20191003_120056.jpg
    20191003_120056.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Reply to Help! Can't stop radiator leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock