Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Bristan shower cartridge , cant turn off cold water from shower in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anyone help please ?
I am in the middle of trying to clean/ service a Bristan shower cartridge for this shower

Recessed concealed shower
1901 Concealed Concentric Shower Valve | Bristan - https://www.bristan.com/products/mixer-showers?code=n2%20cshcvo%20c

It had started to drip after Thames Water installed a water meter outside . I was advised to clean the cartridge .
This morning I started to try and dismantle it to access the cartridge ,and as I started to do this the cold water started to run through the shower more and so I turned the water off . I got so far and could not remove the cartridge as the instructions are not clear and I cant find it on youtube. I am down to the level in the photos, I cant twist or pull the cartridge out . Am I supposed to remove the small plate surrounding the cartridge by removing the circular discs and parts either side of the cartridge ? Not sure how to do this .....I thought the cartridge would pull straight out when I got to this level

I reassembled it without moving the cartridge but when i turn the water on I cannot stop the cold water at all through the shower heads , when i turn the valve it just wont turn off

Please help , its now driving me mad ! thanks

Betty

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2915 (1).jpg
    IMG_2915 (1).jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 16
You won’t be able to clean that type of cartridge will require a new one sorry to say

Best guess the outer lever isn’t aligned/ closing off

Best advise try moving the flow lever over 1/2 a turn to the left if you close to the right if you understand me?

Thanks Shaun but how can you tell I thought it would need a sk1850 -2 if it needed replacing? They sent me the attached file Bristan 1901 but this recessed version seems a bit different to these fittings . I would still need to get the valve out , do i remove the surrounding plate and how ?
to turn off the water at the shower ...Sorry dont know re closing flow lever , which bit is that in the instructions? . Thanks alot

? fittings
Thanks Shaun but how can you tell I thought it would need a sk1850 -2 if it needed replacing? They sent me the attached file Bristan 1901 but this recessed version seems a bit different to these fittings . I would still need to get the valve out , do i remove the surrounding plate and how ?
to turn off the water at the shower ...Sorry dont know re closing flow lever , which bit is that in the instructions? . Thanks alot

Attachments

• N SHXDIV C CS (4).pdf
    325.4 KB · Views: 2
I would say that’s not your unit do you have a picture fully built ?

Turn the black plastic piece until the shower stops running then pull the black piece out and reset it to where the off position was before eg where the handle used to stop

the black ring (I think the temp stop ring ) doesnt turn at all in situ

Attachments

• IMG_2918.jpg
    IMG_2918.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 7
I have partially assembled it to see what is happening , the temperature flow black ring doesnt stop the water being turned off ,if I turn the knob clockwise the hot water is turned off but I cant turn the cold off fully I think the cartridge keeps going round inside

Any idea anyone how to remove this inner plate please ?

I have partially assembled it to see what is happening , the temperature flow black ring doesnt stop the water being turned off ,if I turn the knob clockwise the hot water is turned off but I cant turn the cold off fully I think the cartridge keeps going round inside

Attachments

• IMG_2924.MOV
    24 MB

Attachments

• IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 7
The one with the bristan logo on ? This doesn’t come out as it’s the body of the shower

The outer plate will come off from the wall normally siliconed on but all you will see is pipes etc

In your very first picture the white spigots / rods either side of the valve these must be the flow controls so my guess is that you’ve not attached/ moved/ not aligned the opac guide that is picture 2905

The cartridge will just pull out might need to twist a bit but have the water off first eg stop tap

As for the controls eg why it’s dripping the left and right brass caps with the two holes in eg holding the valves in that stop the flow

Really annoying me now , Bristan sent wrong instructions multiple times ! only spent all day on this and still no luck....
turned water off outside but no luck cant budge / pull out cartridge
im assuming this is the replacement /what it looks like ? as is plastic

i am worried about pinching with spanner where thread lines are as will damage it if i need to put back in

if i pull it out how do i turn off water but have on in rest of house ? do i do something to these as you have stated

"As for the controls eg why it’s dripping the left and right brass caps with the two holes in eg holding the valves in that stop the flow"

As for the controls eg why it’s dripping the left and right brass caps with the two holes in eg holding the valves in that stop the flow

I know I did not assemble it properly in video I was just trying to work out why it wont turn off when it is properly assembled

This is yours

I see thanks , I asked bristan to come out but they said their engineers very booked up .... follow these wrong instructions ! 😡
dont know what on earth to do now

You won’t do it with a spanner sorry to say you will need grips something you can pinch down on the cartridge and wiggle and pull but the cartridge doesn’t have any effect on the dripping these are the top items either side eg my link ref 1 and 2 these stop it dripping / running from the shower head

not sure if a ratchet device would get it out but i think expenisve
but will it stop water flow if i get it out ?

No as that just adjusts the temperature

Tbh it looks like you will need to get a new shower fitted

You won’t do it with a spanner sorry to say you will need grips something you can pinch down on the cartridge and wiggle and pull but the cartridge doesn’t have any effect on the dripping these are the top items either side eg my link ref 1 and 2 these stop it dripping / running from the shower head
what sort of grips? , i can buy tomorrow but i have some pliers ?? shall i just pull it out gripping threaded part? if i can... .... if i replace the cartridge will it stop the dripping/ water running out (more than dripping now) when i turn on shower !, unless i turn water off , but need on for other people

what sort of grips? , i can buy tomorrow but i have some pliers ?? shall i just pull it out gripping threaded part? if i can... .... if i replace the cartridge will it stop the dripping/ water running out (more than dripping now) when i turn on shower !, unless i turn water off , but need on for other people
this valve is plastic but yours wasnt no idea why

No that’s the temperature side the left and right ones stop the flow

No as that just adjusts the temperature

Tbh it looks like you will need to get a new shower fitted
there was nothing wrong with it before!, it only started dripping after Thames Water dug up the road and installed meters ! I was left with two dripping showers ! now this carry on... because Bristan sent wrong instructions and sent me off on wild goose chase " oh you can just clean it taking out cartridge and by soaking in water and vinegar ..." Need a large drink and lie down!

there was nothing wrong with it before!, it only started dripping after Thames Water dug up the road and installed meters ! I was left with two dripping showers ! now this carry on... because Bristan sent wrong instructions and sent me off on wild goose chase " oh you can just clean it taking out cartridge and by soaking in water and vinegar ..." Need a large drink and lie down!

Yep common for them to get grit / other things in your water main when working on it which f ups ball valves and showers

it looks like plastic to me on outside

If you look the part numbers of the thermostatic cartridge are the same so bristan just cheaped out and used plastic towards the end of life of the shower as most parts are discontinued

as this is very similar do you think I could try a box spanner as in vid ?
i think builder who installed shower must have kept tool to remove the pistons as I don’t have this either

Reply to Help! Bristan shower cartridge , cant turn off cold water from shower in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock