Search the forum,

Discuss Help bath mixer taps with shower low pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi.
I'm having issues with my bath taps. I moved into a new house which only has a bath, I noticed that the pressure from both hot and cold taps on the bath is really good so I purchased mixer taps with a shower on them.
I've never changed a tap before so decided how hard could it be..... After a few leaks a busted knee, elbow and ripped tshirt.. it was harder than I thought. I got it done though but the pressure is stupidly low. Before with the 2 single taps I could fill the bath in minutes. Now with the new mixer it takes about 20+ minutes and the shower has no pressure either.

Have I done something wrong or is the problem with the taps? I just don't understand how something with such high pressure can change to literally nothing.

Thanks

Ah I see. I'll have another look in the shop and see what I can find. Hopefully something a bit more suitable.

Thanks

What type of system do you have? Combi boiler, system boiler open vented? If it's open vented then as above you could have an issue with the pressure rating of the taps - I know the Lidl ones are only suitable for high pressure systems. If it's a Combi you may have twisted flexi's if used or is your stopcock fully opened?

Also don't confuse pressure with flow rate.

Some taps have inserts which might have to be removed in your case...check if the destructions mention this or look at the spec on internet or call their technical advice line.
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
busted knees and sore fingers are part of the job description but you will be a better fella for having a go.

received_835272480190850.jpeg
Ive added a picture of my airing cupboard.
So correct me if I'm wrong. I have a high water flow but low pressure, if I put taps on with restricted holes I don't have the pressure to force the water through to get the same flow rate?

Correct (essentially). You need taps specifically designed for low pressure 0.1bar. Unf there is no proper definition of low pressure so many are advertised as such but do not work. Those selling normally have no idea either.

In this instance you must stay away from 1/4 turn taps and stick with the multi-turn variety.

With such low pressure its extremely unlikely that you find a shower to work off the taps without installing a pump on the hot supply at least as that has the lowest pressure of all.

Ok. I think in starting to understand. I read something about low pressure shower heads.. do these actually work?

That is a giant airing cupboard

I wonder why the installer came all the way down and back up again before joining the CH pipework? Probably just to get the valve down lower within reach without having to get on a stepladder I suppose? Even so it could surely have been routed differently so it doesn't have that beautiful "silt trap" arrangement.

Or maybe it's a combined cold feed/vent and they had trouble with pumping over so added that in as a restriction in which case the vent can be isolated by closing that gate valve which is not cool!

To be quite honest I'm not sure what any of it does. I'm still learning how to turn the water off properly as the hot turns off completely but the cold still trickles when fully closed.

Also I checked the box and the taps I fitted is for minimum 0.5 bar.... I think that might be my problem. I found a 0.2 mixer with shower, will that work?

To be quite honest I'm not sure what any of it does. I'm still learning how to turn the water off properly as the hot turns off completely but the cold still trickles when fully closed.

Also I checked the box and the taps I fitted is for minimum 0.5 bar.. I think that might be my problem. I found a 0.2 mixer with shower, will that work?
Maybe. Flow however will be rubbish.

If you want what you’d call a decent shower you will need to look at alternatives rather than just a new tap

Power shower, pump, combi boiler, unvented cylinder. The world is your oyster if you have the urge (and money) to sort it

Quite understand. What kind of budget might you have?

Well really I got these taps because they were cheap but obviously the wrong ones so I either replace my new taps with my old ones and just buy a shower which I think fitting myself will be a nightmare as I have no soldering experience plus would need to buy the tools to do it or buy new taps with a shower and pray. I really don't know what to do. At this moment in time I could probably squeeze 200. I've just spent around 1500 redecorating and furnishing the kids rooms so funds are running low

I think you will struggle to get a satisfactory Answer for £200

Depends what you are hoping to achieve. Super duper shower or just an electric option that heats itself and works off mains

Then it will cost, likely youre needing an unvented cylinder and potentially a new mains

Also don’t put a pump under the bath. You can fit one yourself but read Mis

Reply to Help bath mixer taps with shower low pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock