Search the forum,

Discuss Help 2 radiators not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there, just spent the best part of 3 days in only what I would describe as "a big hoose" domestic 60 kW boiler. The client wanted 2 radiators added, 1 radiator added in master bedroom and 1 added in bedroom 2 that was the son's nursery.

Completed the works today. The existing system is mild steel. Filled up the system (F&E tank fed), balanced the system but the 2 new radiators not a single watt of heat going through them.

What could be the problem guys?

1. Radiator are old fashioned cast iron, floor mounted, bought second had. Although I did do a cold flush.

2. The valves. I bought 22mm lock shield and trv pelger valves. He has a honeywell WiFi enabled zoning system that seems to work
well. As far as I know does not interfer with the other trv rad in room

3. My pipework. I've disconnected the mild steel where I could and then added male/female irons to try and get a 22mm solder tee and then onto copper pipework and have piped up in 22mm for approximately 6 mtrs in each room. Followed the flow and return pipework on the existing rad to the new rad.

4. On getting the heating on, started at the rad closest to the boiler and then made my way through the house. Master bed existing rad went no bother, then on to the new one. Flow pipe stone cold. Nothing. Exact same in bedroom 2.

What do you think the problem is?

More info needed, please. Is it a one-pipe or two-pipe system? At which points in the circuit did you tap in the new radiators?

Thanks its a 2 pipe system. In bed 2 tied in the flow above floor. Return tied in below the floor before the elbow going up. Return has no lockshield. In bed 1 i did smothing similar.
Sorry I tied all the mentioned connections in to the existing radiator in each room.

Turn all the other rads off and see if the new ones heat up.
If yes re balance the system. If no we will need a diagram of old system and what you have done. good luck centralheatking

Turned them all off bar the new one and nothing mate. Okay I'll do a diagram right now. Thanks for your help.
IMG_20190820_092535.jpg

Valves are pelger 22mm lockshield and 22mm trv

Last edited:
Turned them all off bar the new one and nothing mate.
What you've actually drawn (top left) is a one-pipe system. Does the existing pipework have both flow and a return, which you've left off?

The new pipework has scope for air-locks unless the 'horizontal' sections were installed with appropriate gradients.

Assuming the 'existing' radiator works and your diagram is missing the return on the original pipework the first problem is that the 'existing' radiator doesn't have a lockshield and so all the flow is passing unimpeded through it and there will be insufficient pressure difference to drive the proper proportion around your new pipework.

Was it not possible to tap into the 'existing pipework' rather than putting your new radiator in parallel with the existing one?

Reply to Help 2 radiators not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock