Search the forum,

Discuss Hello.. Plumber, going back on the tools?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All
My name is Bill and have been a plumber for 35years. I have just returned from Australia where I was working as a plumbing inspector for 12 years! I have returned to the UK ( Ireland actually) and am considering getting back on the tools (probably just maintenance) .. Interested to hear of any major plumbing news that you think may be of interest over the last decade or so. Any must have tools or gadgets to help me out? Happy to give any advice/insight into Australian plumbing too!

Cheers

Bill

Ehup Bill , you’ve come home “you mad fool” lol .
Own up , you have only come back because of brexit .
Welcome

Thanks Jon... Yeah I sometimes wonder.
I travel a lot and got itchy feet again. I met a lass from Ireland and am now over here (north of Dublin). Not desperate for work but wouldn't mind doing a little bit for some extra Euros. Just putting together a basic toolkit now... I'm being dragged back in!

Hello and welcome mr bill

Hi Bill, Irish Ladies are a compulsion of mine, well done. Eire tends to do things its own way but always defers to UK Wras in terms
of water regulations in a total blanket acceptance. If anybody in the Free State takes any notice maybe you can tell us when your feet are firmly grounded. UKPF is a great place to learn, ask questions and contribute...I learn nuggets of info regularly from all ages on here and I have been in this game since 1980. Good Luck
centralheatking

Hi Bill, Irish Ladies are a compulsion of mine, well done. Eire tends to do things its own way but always defers to UK Wras in terms
of water regulations in a total blanket acceptance. If anybody in the Free State takes any notice maybe you can tell us when your feet are firmly grounded. UKPF is a great place to learn, ask questions and contribute...I learn nuggets of info regularly from all ages on here and I have been in this game since 1980. Good Luck
centralheatking

Thanks.. Not planning on getting involved with gas again. Thinking taps, WCs , Kitchens etc. the old back is not too flash.. too many lofts and cellars! Looking forward to the stories in the forum..
Cheers

Hi Billy, Great that you have joined us! I think I would rather stay in Australia! We have a few members from there now. WHere in Ireland are you?

Happy to give any advice/insight into Australian plumbing too!

Cheers

Bill
[/QUOTE]

Hello Bill, my name is Rhys I’m 25 and live in England
I have recently returned from Australia where I was plumbing and mostly grounds working. On a holiday 1 year visa.
I’m am full level 3 qualified and got natural gas and LPG. I was wondering what advice you have in Australian plumbing as I’m looking in to getting a visa and going back out there. I really haven’t got a clue to anything yet but miss it out there.
I have had some experience in commercial but very minor and was wondering if there are plumbing companies out in Oz that would actually train me up?

Many thanks

As you offered Rhys..I would like some insight into common practice in the Antipodes
My outfit used to fit CH etc but now design heating and plumbing devices.
Question..1. Domestic Heating .& Hot water are pressurised systems (combi) common ?
2. If so is that what they are called..we are involved in South Korea but they are called something else which phased us for a while.
3. General set up...natural gas, propane, kerosene in the main population centres

Thank you in advance ...have a good weekend ...centralheatking

Happy to give any advice/insight into Australian plumbing too!

Cheers

Bill

I have recently returned from Australia where I was plumbing and mostly grounds working. On a holiday 1 year visa.
I’m am full level 3 qualified and got natural gas and LPG. I was wondering what advice you have in Australian plumbing as I’m looking in to getting a visa and going back out there. I really haven’t got a clue to anything yet but miss it out there.
I have had some experience in commercial but very minor and was wondering if there are plumbing companies out in Oz that would actually train me up?

Many thanks
[/QUOTE]
Hi Rhys

Where about in Australia were you thinking?

Your qualifications will enable you to work for somebody but to do your own work you will need a contractors licence (In Western Australia at least)

Plenty of UK and Irish guys working as plumbers and they do well on the Maintenance side of things.

There are many differences but generally the plumbing is far simpler (no heating in WA)
It is fairly heavily regulated but not to difficult to get started. A lot of chasing in walls and digging!!

Not too many floorboards in Perth!

Let me know some more details and I'll try and give you some more specific advice.

Cheers

Bill

Many thanks
Hi Rhys

Your qualifications will enable you to work for somebody but to do your own work you will need a contractors licence (In Western Australia at least)

Plenty of UK and Irish guys working as plumbers and they do well on the Maintenance side of things.

There are many differences but generally the plumbing is far simpler (no heating in WA)
It is fairly heavily regulated but not to difficult to get started. A lot of chasing in walls and digging!!

Let me know some more details and I'll try and give you some more specific advice.

Cheers

Bill
[/QUOTE]

Hi Bill, I was working in Sydney. I also have family there so would love to try and stay close to them.
What visa did you go over on? And if it was a skilled visa was it hard to obtain?

Many thanks
Rhys

As you offered Rhys..I would like some insight into common practice in the Antipodes
My outfit used to fit CH etc but now design heating and plumbing devices.
Question..1. Domestic Heating .& Hot water are pressurised systems (combi) common ?
2. If so is that what they are called..we are involved in South Korea but they are called something else which phased us for a while.
3. General set up...natural gas, propane, kerosene in the main population centres

Thank you in advance ...have a good weekend ...centralheatking

Hello

I can only speak for Perth and Western Australia (WA)

Heating is normally provided by reverse cycle air con. No 'wet' radiators as such. Gas heaters or electric are also fairly common.

Hot water is provided one of 4 ways (generally) all mains fed

Gas fired storage. directly heated storage vessel, situated outside. sometimes electrically heated (inside or out)

Instantaneous HW. Like a Combi without heating. A modern 'Ascot' if you like

Direct Solar. Panels on the roof containing secondary liquid that is then used to heat a storage tank either on the roof (gravity) or remotely via a small circulating pump. These work so well as Perth is one of the sunniest places on earth!

Heat Pumps are also becoming popular

Plumbing in WA is heavily regulated. To get products approved for use there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Australia is a very small market. I remember talking to an air-conditioning guy (Fujitsu?) and he said that Australia is an after thought when it comes to their business. That makes sense when you consider it has a population of say 24mill spread over an area the size of the USA. Indonesia has around 300Mill (I think) and the rest of SE Asia too is a far more lucrative proposition.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Hello

I can only speak for Perth and Western Australia (WA)

Heating is normally provided by reverse cycle air con. No 'wet' radiators as such. Gas heaters or electric are also fairly common.

Hot water is provided one of 4 ways (generally) all mains fed

Gas fired storage. directly heated storage vessel, situated outside. sometimes electrically heated (inside or out)

Instantaneous HW. Like a Combi without heating. A modern 'Ascot' if you like

Direct Solar. Panels on the roof containing secondary liquid that is then used to heat a storage tank either on the roof (gravity) or remotely via a small circulating pump. These work so well as Perth is one of the sunniest places on earth!

Heat Pumps are also becoming popular

Plumbing in WA is heavily regulated. To get products approved for use there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Australia is a very small market. I remember talking to an air-conditioning guy (Fujitsu?) and he said that Australia is an after thought when it comes to their business. That makes sense when you consider it has a population of say 24mill spread over an area the size of the USA. Indonesia has around 300Mill (I think) and the rest of SE Asia too is a far more lucrative proposition.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Thank you for your info, it seems a non commercial prospect for APi 2006. However I am
a non exec dir of a Solar Thermal Start Up Company and we have been looking at Northern Australia quite seriously and might come back to you over this one regards
centralheatking

Hi Rhys

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill, I was working in Sydney. I also have family there so would love to try and stay close to them.
What visa did you go over on? And if it was a skilled visa was it hard to obtain?

Many thanks
Rhys
[/QUOTE]

Yes Rhys it was a skilled migrant Visa but that was back in 2005. I think things have changed a bit but you should be OK as you are young enough.

I know some guys a bit older than you who got their residency just working in offices or shops etc.

I think after 5 years you can then get citizenship and a OZ passport.

Be warned Sydney (all of Australia) is expensive and the exchange rate is weak now.

When I went I was getting around $2.80 for a pound. It's now around $1.80

I think you should go for it, its a stable country and I feel the UK may be on its knees for a good while following this Brexit debacle!

Cheers

Bill

Reply to Hello.. Plumber, going back on the tools?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock