Search the forum,

Discuss Hello, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wrighty2202

Hello all
Monday morning here we go again!!

I'm thinking of training to become a plumber, with the hope of becoming self employed.

At this point I currently have zero knowledge/experience into plumbing but of course I would like to change all that. I've been looking into courses/qualifications, I live in Wendover, Bucks, however where would you recommend I start? I am more than happy to put money into the training however just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.b Am I better off learning on the job as a plumbers mate/apprentice?

Any suggestions/advice would be ace, thank you!!!

Lisa x

:welcome2: to the forum Lisa.

you will find no shortage of similar questions on previous threads, have a trawl through.

if you have no experience at all, then a short course or a day here and there working with someone might be sufficient to help you change your mind.
or confirm it???

Hiw old are you (apprenticeship)
Have a look at the British gas site.
They were trying to up the female contingent a while ago.
Good luck

Hi Lisa, Helen BG posted a link 5 days ago re apprenticeships in Oxford, have a scroll back and find it. Also inbetween now and that one was a couple of people asking what to expect about the telephone interview that BG do which might also help you.

Not being sexist, but servicing and especially fault finding on boilers seems to suit women. Must be the way you lot think!
If you fancy plumbing, then if your under 25, pop along to your local colege. Other than that, british gas do a good appentiship, or find a local plumber and ask to work with them. At least you will find out if its for you, before you spend any money on a course.

Welcome.. and The best forums here for the help.. wrighty

Welcome to forum :)

First port of call is the search function on the forum. Hundreds of posts on the same topic.

Not being sexist, but servicing and especially fault finding on boilers seems to suit women. Must be the way you lot think!
If you fancy plumbing, then if your under 25, pop along to your local colege. Other than that, british gas do a good appentiship, or find a local plumber and ask to work with them. At least you will find out if its for you, before you spend any money on a course.

Are you trying to say all boilers are flaky and illogical? :lol:

I can speak from experience here I did the exact same last year and I'm 1 exam away from passing out

Course available to you are

Lvl 1 diploma in plumbing n heating
Lvl 2 NVQ or diploma in plumbing or heating

To do the NVQ you need on site experience so you would have to find a local plumber to shadow while the college assessor follows u about

If you can't find a plumber to shadow you can do the Diploma but in my opinion it isn't worth the paper its printed on, if your serious about doing this job full time you need the NVQ it shows the potential employer you have the onsite experience and the theory

I payed ÂŁ1800 for my course

I wish you all the luck in the world :)

Good luck with it.. I did the 6129 level 2 city and guild. But it's more than adequate for me
And the rest is me adding photos of practical tasks at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme (apprenticeship) I am now qualified in CCN1, CENWAT, MET1, Unvented, CONGLP1PD. I need to get my CONGLP1-LAV as that is the work I am hoping to predominately do...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock