Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from Romania. Young old person intrested in the past. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. My name is Ştefan (or Steven, if you like).
I'm from Bucharest, capital of Romania. Borned here, raised here.
My passion for some old plumbing cames from the fact that I have a certain fascination for pre-1949 bigger apartament buildings in Bucharest (Bucharest is only one city in Romania that haves a lot of them; there are just few other cities that haves let's say more then a few 3 stories apartament buildings built in that period),
trought all that my dream is to live in a pre 1941 single house (so no neibghours attached to the walls) - I do live in a communist apartament building (quite o.k. building).
If on electricity domanian you can find for sale some forgein books published before communism, on sanitary and heating instaltions, I dind't found no big general one, except for a 1930 German one (hard to traduce, since it was priting using Fraktur alphabet). I found only one scanned catalogue. Fourtenley, up untill early '60's some of the pre-war stuff was preserved in manufacturing armatures and installations, so I can find some info on postwar books (in pre-communist Romania there wheren't to many tehcnical books published) some infos. But I want to find more. And I was amazed that building heating could be partially automated. Oh, I was borned a few years before fall of Ceauşescu, so some thing are still amazing to me, even if before 2000-2002 you could find very old stuff still in work here, but I didn't had the curiosity and the knowledge of what to ask back then...

What is it you are looking for Stefan? At that time most of our domestic plumbing was lead which cannot be used nowadays and domestic heating was rare as we didn't have district heating systems on the scale used in Eastern Europe. Most people just had a coal fire, sometimes it heated the hot water via a back boiler.

My 1st inrerest where some kind of mono-command taps that I found in an around 1930 book, in German.
But I do have an intresr in the old housing instalations too. The way they where built (in Romania, 'specially before communism or the masive program of appartament bulings) and how much they will last.

I know that central heating wasn't use in such a large scale in Western Europe, trough all that some have district heating (and district cooling! in some cases).
But I do hate the dismantling of the heating units in old large buildings (let's say at least 30 apartaments) and replacing them with own individual heating units. I would have had taxed that. After all, it's a big bulding, not an individual house or a 6 apartemnts builing.

If you are trying to fit old plumbing fittings you need to be careful of a few things, for example an old tap may look good on the outside but be corroded or worn inside. Our older heating systems worked by gravity and have been superseded because they were inefficient.

How they worked with gravity?
I know that some might be corroded. Depends on them... I had a no more then 10 years old new mixing tap. One day I accidentally hit it with a lighean (basin for manually washing clothses) and bang, up it went. I had without my will an artesian well into my bathroom. It was from some kind of Zinc, that why it was so weak.

Reply to Hello from Romania. Young old person intrested in the past. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

H
No matter what industry you’re in, if you’re really good you should be able to keep busy through recommendations and word of mouth. However, in order to build up a good reputation you need people to know you’re out there. So I’m looking for views, opinions and advice regarding web presence and...
Replies
Views
N
Hello to all the members here, time served the old fashioned way. out on sites with the old man from when I could walk and blowing fittings at an age that would give elf + safety nightmares. Started up on my own not long after serving my time. When my daughter arrived I went on the books...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
D
Hello there, I'm clearly new to this forum so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. Ill start with my background as I'm here for serious, simple advice. Im 19 years years old from Worcestershire, I live alone due to the death of my mother recently and my father being a c***. I...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
I
Hi everybody, Ive probably read hundreds of posts on this site since i registered and there is definitely a lot of useful info, although ive read a lot in respect of people not willing to take on tech cert qualified wannabe plumbers, which i find rather short sighted as people should be judged...
Replies
Views
innertemple
I
J
Hello. I'm currently halfway, just short of, through a ND for I.T practitioners in Software Development at college, I chose it as I have a passion for games *which 16 almost 17 year old does lad does?* and since I was younger have wanted to design them or work in I.T. I'm now finding that rather...
Replies
Views
uug197h
U
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock