Search the forum,

Discuss Hello fellow plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhittleCFC

Hello everyone,

I have joined this forum for some advice regarding my future career as a plumber, but first I'll do a small introduction.

I'm now 24 years old and for the past 4 years I've been working for an insurance brokers. In 2014 i decided that I'd had enough of sitting at the same desk day in day out feeling like nothing but a number making up a large company. I wanted to get out and about and earn some money for myself while feeling a sense of achievement after completing a job, which an office job severely lacks. Since completing my level 2 in plumbing i feel as though I've learned more valuable skills in the past year than i did over four years in insurance. I was lucky enough to be able to stay at my office job while completing my level 2 qualification, however i am now unemployed and want to improve my plumbing skills instead of plodding along in my office job.

This is where i need your help... I am interested more in domestic plumbing rather than on site work but with the level 3 course coming up in September I want to get as much experience as possible. My course runs 2 days a week so i will only be able to work 3 days a week. Firstly, do you think the skills I'll learn on an industrial or commercial site transfer easily to domestic plumbing? And secondly, do you think an employer would be happy to employ me on a 3 day a week basis or is that wishful thinking? I am trying my best to get as many small private jobs as possible through friends and family but before doing a larger job like a bathroom i want to be a more competent plumber and learn from someone with a lot more experience than myself.

Hope this first post isn't too long! And thank you in advance for any help.

Tony

Welcome to the forums Tony.....where are you based...regards Turnpin:welcome:

Welcome Tony and good luck. Hope all goes well. As Turnpin says, your location may help if someone on here wants assistance as they can give you the chance you are looking for.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm based in Romford and attend college at choice training in Dagenham.

I have noticed a few jobs pop up in the Dagenham area but want to hear the forums views on site/domestic work before i apply.

Cheers,

Tony

welcome tony,

if i were you i would call around all the estate/letting agents in your area offering 'handyman' property services (changing taps etc) charge a nominal rate and you should latch onto a few for the smaller every day jobs. i would do that while you do your level 3 for a while and build up to the more complex stuff when you are on the tools part of the course. that way you will have some work when you completed and be able to pick your 3 days you want to work.

Hi Redsaw,

Thanks for the advice, did not think of doing that so will get on to my local agents as soon as possible to get some money in.

This seems like a very informative forum full of good people, cheers for the help everyone!

Hi tony and welcome along and good luck for the future mate,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello fellow plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm saying hello so I can keep my account live. I'm more of a reader than a poster. As a beginner/ complete novice, I just need to find general answers to questions I may have. Generally I only replace existing plumbing and use plumbing skills to plumb my being equipment together.
Replies
Views
Hi all, Currently undergoing my level 2, hoping to get finished in the next few weeks. Looking to gain some experience, if anyone needs a mate etc. Im currently in the forces will be leaving in May however at the minute I can work Mondays/Fridays and weekends. Do not want paying just happy...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock