Search the forum,

Discuss Hello and a zone question.. in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Luck

Hi everyone, new to this forum and not a professional plumber.<br><br>Over the last 6 years we have been renovating a house in the Galician hills in northern Spain. We are nearly there...<br><br>We have central heating over 3 floors with a total floor area of 280m². &nbsp;We have<br><br>475 liter buffer heated by solar, gravity fed hunter herald 21b multi fuel stove, and a pumped 10kw ( apparently but I reckon near 8kw) pellet stove which we use as a back up. The buffer is open vented and direct ( with the exception of the solar coil), around 11kw of radiators / towel rails ( 4 bath/ shower rooms - I know, I know I just do what I,m told...), the ch is powered by a single circuit over 3 floors with a grundfos ups2 25-50/ 60 pump and dhw is supplied via heat exchanger at mains pressure.<br><br>We have installed all this ourselves learning as we go and it works pretty well except I'm a little disappointed with the pellet boiler. We recently purchased this so we could have some automation and in case for some reason we can't lug logs around. It lacks punch and I guess I should have over sized it but we are on a tight budget and this came up relatively cheap. The hunter is a fantastic bit of kit. Handles all of our heating / water requirements with a little spare capacity.<br><br>So anyway, we have the pellet boiler running in the mornings just to take off the morning chill but its trying ( and not really succeeding) to heat the whole house. I really want to split the circuit so that in the mornings it is only heating the top floor of the house and not drain all the heat from the buffer.&nbsp;<br><br>I really don't want to change any of the other controls so I'm after some sort of timed valve that will block the flow to the lower floors but allow flow to the top floor. I'm assuming I'll only need one valve fitted to hot flow after the 't' where the circuit splits? I also really want that valve to be normally open. Any recommendations?<br><br>Sorry a bit of a long winded post!<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Dave

Simplest option is a motorised valve connected to a 24 hour timer
You could use a programmable thermostat for this if need be.
Most motorised valves are supplied normally closed, so it would be a situation of supplying power to the valve, through the timer, when you want it open and not supplying power to the valve when you want it closed

Hi there mate, your after a motorised valve but the couple issues , the return pipe of a zone should always return as close to heat source before teeing in or u risk backflow through radiators,,
I realise your good at diy but did u fit the whole system yourselves,,,if so these heat sources youve fitted should be fitted by proper qualified engineers,, because all the proper tests get missed out like flue flow test , boiler combustion test etc also heat loss calculations are done at the start to ensure the correct kw is supplied ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello and a zone question.. in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock