Search the forum,

Discuss Heatre Sadia Megaflow - Grundfos Pump Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jodi Thomson

Hi Folks

We recently installed a Heatrea Sadia Megaflow - preplumbed unit. We believed the pump was faulty as the CH was not flowing properly and purchased a new replacement pump. The instructions on the new pump advised us that the arrow should be going the same direction as the flow and to install the pump in a vertical position pumping upwards. My pre-piped megaflow arrived with the Grunfos Pump installed with the arrow facing downwards. There is an automatic air purger downstream of the pump, Grunfos state it should be installed before the pump (upstream). Can anyone advise, or seen this before on megaflow systems? any advise would be much apprecaited.

Is this an unvented cylinder, if so you have to be qualified to fit it. Fitting the pump in the wrong direction could be the least of your worries.

Last edited by a moderator:
The unvented Cylinder was installed by compotent engineers, but has never worked. We have had 3 qualified plumbers look over this system, and everyone is scratching there heads. The whole idea of asking the question on the forum was to get help with the query not jip from folk. Going on the amount of people we have had look at this, you much require a serious amount of qualifications to works on them!!! You got all these have you?

Its is an unvented cylinder, it has been working the hot water correctly, just no CH, there never seems to be enough flow to all our rads. Some cold some hot. We are running out of patience which is why were asking for help here. 3 plumbers down the line and still no further forward. These problems have been going on for 9 months. We were advised to change the pump, and obviously came across a new problem when fitting it due to the instructions and the flow etc. Any help just to get this up and running properly would e great.

If its never worked you'd be better calling Heatre Sadia and getting one of their engineers to come take a look. Although not sure if they will as its now been 9 months..

Has the system been balanced properly? If not, this can have an effect on circulation.

We have balanced it as per instructions given, but our query is really now on this Grundfos Pump, can you give us any idea about it?

Which way is the pump facing? By this I mean look at the pump, where the bleeding nut is (where u air the pump) is that facing you, facing the ground or facing the ceiling? If the pump is sitting the wrong way up the spindle wouldnt work properly, I have seen this before.

When i look at the pump, the Grundfos names, serials numbers etc are upside down, but going by there instrustions this is correct, as the arrow is facing the way of the flow. We have tried bleeding the pump, but no air only water.

I have attached a photo of the pump for you. Now our flow comes down the pipe, and the arrow on the pump is facing down. Am i right in saying that i need to turn the front of the pump so its facing the proper way and leave the shaft of the pump as it is? Which would mean all the electrics will be on the right hand side?
IMG00150-20100923-1213 - Pump.jpg

I know this is going to sound very stupid...but I have seen competent plumbers miss the most basic things out before....have you checked that the pump valves are fully open? If the previous guys are taking it as a given that they are open they would overlook this. Also as I mentioned before, if the pump is sitting with the bleed nut and writing facing up then the spindle doesnt turn properly.

I don't mean to be real stupid but what is a pump valve? is this on the Grundfos pump itself. I am a girl trying hopelessly to fix my heating since every plumber scratches his head!

They are the valves either side of of the pump (brass connections) they dont have a valve head on them, just a spindle, so you will need grips or a shifter (spanner) to turn them (clockwise to close, anti clockwise to open). Also have you checked for an air lock elsewhere in the system? The pipework to the radiators?

Ah now i see, yes these are defo open, tested these last night. We had tried bleeding the system many times. The external condensing Boiler has been bled, the megaflow, and the radiators, and all the pipes are spanking new. There dosn't seem to be any air in the system, but for some unusual reason the thing still does not want to work the CH properly.

So this never worked on the heating side and the installer signed it off and was paid in full?

Well they installed it back in march 2010, the HW has always worked, but the CH has been dodgy. If you put all the radiators on at once, the ones nearest the megaflow work but the others dont. We then tested each radiator on its own and they all worked. We then tried the two furthest away radiators on together, then tried another rad each time the previous was hot, this worked until the 4th rad was turned on, it went hot then cold. I got fed up with all the hassle with the plumbers back and forth but never getting any further, that i employed a new plumber, he said it was the flo to the rads, but due to new pipeowrk, it must be the pump that was faulty. I then obviously changed the pump, but were in the same situation, we have tried balancing as well to no avail. I am getting ready just to pull the plug and rip everything out and start again, but don't really want to go down that route as its cost a small fortune already. I have paid nothing towards the plumbers as yet. Only the equipment which i bought myself. No money is being passed until this is working!

Last edited by a moderator:
a bit far for me unfortunately. How has it been piped? Size of pipes etc (Flow and Return)

The blokes don't sound to competent to me, it would help to post a pic of the whole cupboard, perhaps showing where any valves are, sounds like they have messed the pipework up.

Hi, i have attached a picture of the Megaflo set up - hope its clear enough for you. The auto bypass v/v is set to no. 5 at the moment.IMG00152-20100923-2006 - Megaflow.jpg

why dont you just change the pump head,or try turning it around if its suspect

Is pump speed on 3 ? When on heating is the pipe coming out of the auto bypass (below) Hot ?
You say system is balanced so are the lockshields closed in ? (just checking )

yip sure are - we have checked over every single thing on this mega flo, and just can't find out whats going wrong.

What have the plumbers who came out said ? Did they disconnect any pipes ?
This will be fixed dont dare rip it out !
Start a new post Help Wanted Scotland Im sure the likes of Tamz etc would either be close enough or would know someone in your area

Last edited:
The First Plumber that put it in didn't bother coming back when they switched it on and the problem arose, the second plumber, replaced all the pipes under the house for the CH just in case of a blockage, and then shook his head when the same problem appeared on startup. The third plumber - said to replace the pump just incase that was the problem, of which we did, same problem. I'll persereve for the moment, i will try another post for help. Thank you.

This is something simple for the right plumber ! If you get no joy here try Sadia for an Engineer and if its an installation fault deduct their bill from your plumbers bill . We only come over the wall for Murrayfield ! LOL

I would defintely call in sadia, they havent fitted the safety discharge pipework as they should

toddyplumb has managed to get me a number for a decent guy based in Aberdeen. we are gonna give him a call in the morning and see what he says. Will post my outcome is we manage to get anything sorted. Thanks for all you help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heatre Sadia Megaflow - Grundfos Pump Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock