Search the forum,

Discuss Heating water has started heating the radiators as well! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Up until a few weeks ago heating the water (we have a water tank) used to heat the radiators in the bathroom and the en suite. For some reason our water heater has started heating all the radiators in the upstairs of the house apart from the bathroom, en suite still heats up though! Any ideas what might have caused the switch?

Thanks

Mark

There can be a couple of reasons why this happens if it has been happening from day one but Simon is correct I believe as it's a new problem so must be caused by a valve failure.

Sometimes the cylinder primaries are also teed into the wrong place and a non-return valve is installed to remedy that problem and the non-return in rare cases can get jammed open but my money is on Simon's explanation. A zone valve is letting by. Not a major issue and easy enough to sort but usually a job for a plumber rather than DIY, depending upon your handiness and experience with plumbing and basic electrics though.

Thanks for the responses guys. Do you know if this is something that will cause other issues if not fixed ASAP? We're probably going to have a new bathroom fitted at some point in the next year so we could get it replaced at the same time.

You could always turn off the affected radiators.

It shouldn't cause other issues but then do you want your upstairs pipework heating up for the rest of the summer, it shouldn't be an expensive fix.

Thanks for the responses guys. Do you know if this is something that will cause other issues if not fixed ASAP? We're probably going to have a new bathroom fitted at some point in the next year so we could get it replaced at the same time.

It won't cause problems but it's worth heeding gmartine's words. It is very difficult to talk about prices (not that you asked!) because we are all in different areas with different economies but where I'm at, and to give you a ballpark figure, for a 3 port it would be approximately £80 for the parts (less if it's a 2 port valve rather than 3) and an hour's labour, again plus or minus a bit depending upon location of the valve, awkwardness etc. i.e. not a major or particularly expensive job in the grand scheme of things.

Worth doing sooner rather than later in my honest opinion but it's also no emergency.

Reply to Heating water has started heating the radiators as well! in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock