Search the forum,

Discuss Heating vs hot water...can this happen?! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there, we have bought a new house and been in for 8 months. We have a Hollywell heating system with 2 thermostats, one for the downstairs and one for the upstairs, in the master bedroom. The back of the house was connected up wrongly, so the back house downstairs came on with the upstairs thermostat and the master bedroom and back of the house upstairs with the downstairs thermostat. After 5 plumbers visits, they finally accepted it was the way the rads had been plumbed in and switched the pipe work around (7 holes in the ceiling so far....). He thought he had cracked it until he found the lounge one still was running off the upstairs thermo and had the return going back into the system incorrectly, so he fixed that too, so it now works on the downstairs again.

Now, the other problem we have had since moving in is when you turn the hot water on, you get a loud bang and then the thermostat on the hot tank resets, so the water never really gets hot. The plumber says it is nothing to do with the heating problem and thinks it’s thermal shock where the hot meets the cold and as the valves are all plumbed in right, he has said that the hot tank pipes need to be elongated to increase the surface area that the water mixes over......but, since he has fixed the downstairs rad return going back into the right place, we haven’t had the bang....... is it possible that the two could have been related? He says no chance they are related, but......I honestly can’t face them coming to do more work if it doesn’t actually need doing now. Equally, if it is thermal shock, I am worried there may have been damage to our boiler?

all help gratefully received.....

You need to get all this sorted out before the warranty expires. Put things in writing, if necessary get an independent company in to do a report. I have completed one for someone who had bought a new property with a leak in the wall on their heating system. Long term it may be worth the expense.

You need to get all this sorted out before the warranty expires. Put things in writing, if necessary get an independent company in to do a report. I have completed one for someone who had bought a new property with a leak in the wall on their heating system. Long term it may be worth the expense.
Thank you moonlight- turns out the bang hasn’t gone either and is back with a vengeance when you turn the hot water off.
[automerge]1581447235[/automerge]
Thank you moonlight- turns out the bang hasn’t gone either and is back with a vengeance when you turn the hot water off.
Do I just need a normal plumber to do a report? Sorry for asking!

Look for a plumber, probably one who comes highly recommended. If you don't know anyone in your area. Look on the Charted Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers website for someone in your area that is an approved engineer. Explain what you need. I am sure there will be someone who can help.

Reply to Heating vs hot water...can this happen?! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock