Search the forum,

Discuss Heating System Noise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a standard open vented system.
I recently replaced a radiator and took the opportunity to drain the system and refill with fresh Fernox (something I have done before). The water was pretty clear and there was no indication of any problems when I drained the system.
I had a few problems with air when refilling which resulted in the boiler locking out, but after a couple of attempts I managed to clear it. The system then ran ok for a while but then I would get the occasional lock out. This has now stopped. However, I have noticed that when the system first comes on I get a knocking sound which lasts for a few minutes or so which then clears. If the hot water only is switched on I get the noise and then if the heating comes on I again get the noise for a few minutes then the noise goes and all is ok. I haven't managed to track down where exactly its coming from, but I suspect its air trapped somewhere as I can also hear some movement of water in the pipes when the system starts. But I don't seem to be getting air in any of the radiators as they are fully hot and if I bleed them there is no air coming out of them.
Am I right in suspecting its air trapped in a pipe somewhere?
I'd really appreciate any advice on how to shift it.
Many thanks,

Terry

I have a standard open vented system.
I recently replaced a radiator and took the opportunity to drain the system and refill with fresh Fernox (something I have done before). The water was pretty clear and there was no indication of any problems when I drained the system.
I had a few problems with air when refilling which resulted in the boiler locking out, but after a couple of attempts I managed to clear it. The system then ran ok for a while but then I would get the occasional lock out. This has now stopped. However, I have noticed that when the system first comes on I get a knocking sound which lasts for a few minutes or so which then clears. If the hot water only is switched on I get the noise and then if the heating comes on I again get the noise for a few minutes then the noise goes and all is ok. I haven't managed to track down where exactly its coming from, but I suspect its air trapped somewhere as I can also hear some movement of water in the pipes when the system starts. But I don't seem to be getting air in any of the radiators as they are fully hot and if I bleed them there is no air coming out of them.
Am I right in suspecting its air trapped in a pipe somewhere?
I'd really appreciate any advice on how to shift it.
Many thanks,

Terry
It might well be trapped air ...I would blow it up from the bottom with mains pressure ...if you don’t know how to do this ..let me know...or others might. Centralheatking

Many thanks for your response.
In terms of using mains pressure to clear the trapped air. I've never had to do it, but remember reading that you connect a hose to a rad and apply mains water pressure. Presumably, through a drain cock would do. I assume that you apply mains pressure and gradually open the drain cock.
I guess I should make sure the heating and hot water 2 port valves are open and presumably the water pressure will push water through the vent pipe into the F&E tank and hopefully clear the air. I'd appreciate any tips on how to do this e.g is it best to close all the other rads and just blow through the main pipe runs?

Is there anything I need to be careful of?
Thanks in advance,

Terry

Many thanks for your response.
In terms of using mains pressure to clear the trapped air. I've never had to do it, but remember reading that you connect a hose to a rad and apply mains water pressure. Presumably, through a drain cock would do. I assume that you apply mains pressure and gradually open the drain cock.
I guess I should make sure the heating and hot water 2 port valves are open and presumably the water pressure will push water through the vent pipe into the F&E tank and hopefully clear the air. I'd appreciate any tips on how to do this e.g is it best to close all the other rads and just blow through the main pipe runs?

Is there anything I need to be careful of?
Thanks in advance,

Terry
Connect a hose from an outside tap to the lowest drain off using a jubilee clip . Gently turn outside tap on ..stop and check water tight. Then off you go gently ...start at the lowest , nearest rad and work your way up and away bleeding each in turn. Always watch the level of the f and e tank if it over fills it will overflow hopefully out of the overflow pipe.It is often good to blip the pump off and on. Leave all rad valves open and trvs at max
You have it basically anyway but it’s a great way to blow air out. Good luck and let us know how you get on .....Centralheatking

Connect a hose from an outside tap to the lowest drain off using a jubilee clip . Gently turn outside tap on ..stop and check water tight. Then off you go gently ...start at the lowest , nearest rad and work your way up and away bleeding each in turn. Always watch the level of the f and e tank if it over fills it will overflow hopefully out of the overflow pipe.It is often good to blip the pump off and on. Leave all rad valves open and trvs at max
You have it basically anyway but it’s a great way to blow air out. Good luck and let us know how you get on ...Centralheatking
Great, That's all clear.
Thanks again for your help. Things are a bit fraught at the moment what with the lock down and my wife is also high risk so pretty much shut in. So given its not causing a problem at the moment. I'm going to leave for a couple of weeks or so rather than risk causing any other problems at the moment.... just being a bit cautious. Terry

Reply to Heating System Noise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock