Search the forum,

Discuss Heating in flat issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I live in a 2 bedroom flat. The kitchen and lounge are one room. I have a combination boiler for water and central heating. There are standard radiators in all rooms that have TRVs except the lounge/kitchen area, this has 2 smaller radiators with no TRV. The thermostat is on the wall in the lounge.

So the problem i have is that the lounge achieves ambient temperature fairly easily, especially if the cooker is on etc. So because of this (excuse my naivety) the thermostat records the temperature fairly fast. The side effect is that the rest of the flat doesn’t warm up, because the radiators globally are on only briefly. If i turn up the temperature on the thermostat so the radiators elsewhere are on for longer, the lounge is roasting. So either the bedrooms are cold and the lounge ok or the bedroom are ok and the lounge is too hot (and/or wasting heat)

What can be done to bring some equilibrium to the heating in my place?

Would putting TRVs on the two radiators in the lounge change the dynamic? At the moment the TRVs in the other rooms are set to ‘5’ the max (is that correct?). Would adding a TRV in the lounge allow me to set it to low hence reducing the temperature in the lounge keeping the heating on all round longer. Or am i confused?

Or should i replace the thermosat with a portable one and just take it where i want to be (if that’s how they work) but that will still over heat the lounge when i'm not in it, so not really solving that issue.

Im assuming splitting the heating up into sections would be expensive and possibly not practical in a flat.

Any help or thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any expertise.

What i have at present
-Honeywell CM67 wall mounted thermostat
-Isar HE30 combi
-Normal radiators with Mistral controls in bedrooms. No controls in lounge.

Try covering up the thermostat in the lounge with a temporary box sealed with tape. I expect that will prove the thermo is wrongly sited and giving false info. But yes trvs on the lounge rads will be a good idea and maybe re balence the system ...chking

The easiest option is to relocate the stat. The TRV head would need to be removed whilst testing. When the ideal room (coolest) is decided on, you'll need some work doing on valves.

There is never the perfect place for a room thermostat especially in a small property but having a mobile stat will allow you to find the best option for the way you live your life, as said above when you find the best option you will need to get the valves altered to suit the new layout. Cheers kop

Thanks.

I guess my biggest issue is that the kitchen and lounge are as one. So theres never going to be an ideal place for the roomstat, because if i put it in the coolest room, ill still have the issue i described originally.

Ideally the lounge need to be independent from the rest of the flat.

I will get some TRV on the lounge radiators and possibly a portable roomstat.

Why do the valves need altering?

Many thanks

As Shaun suggested before you do anything just trim down or close the rad in the lounge. It may take a little tweaking but that way the rest of the flat will get up to temp before the lounge stat cuts in.

You would not normally have thermostatic valves where the wall thermostat is positioned you either have one or the other as they could work against each other . Kop

I would remove the TRV in the lounge/kitchen then adjust the lock shield on the radiator to reduce the flow, thus slowing down the time it takes to heat up. This in turn will give the other radiators time to heat up fully before the thermostat turns everything off. It will be trial and error, but I would start maybe nearly closed then open it slowly until you are happy with the heat balance across the flat.

I would remove the TRV in the lounge/kitchen then adjust the lock shield on the radiator to reduce the flow, thus slowing down the time it takes to heat up. This in turn will give the other radiators time to heat up fully before the thermostat turns everything off. It will be trial and error, but I would start maybe nearly closed then open it slowly until you are happy with the heat balance across the flat.
A bit like balancing the system without the trvs messing things up
chking

Reply to Heating in flat issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
I have a Nest thermostat in my hallway which gets affected by the front door opening and closing. This thermo operates one zone (downstairs). I have one radiator the other side of the door to thermo. I have another in the study and two more in the lounge. None of the radiators have a TRV and...
Replies
Views
I have a Nest thermostat in my hallway. Our lounge radiators have no TRVs and I cannot get them to come on with any decent amount of heat. Should I be leaving the door open to the lounge so that that room calls for heat or do I need to get TRVs. Or does a TRV not help this problem anyway! Same...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
I have one of the attached heating coil unit (fan assisted) installed in my lounge. The Lounge is about 650sq.ft so instead of radiator we installed one of these. It works quite well, the unit's is one of the last in circuit and its valves are fully open, there's no thermostat installed with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock