Search the forum,

Discuss Heating calculation for toilet in a basement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ringer

I have been asked to install a heater in a currently unheated toilet situated in the basement of a commercial premises. Please check my calculations and assumptions, and give your thoughts on my proposed solution

assumptions:
room size = 1.5m long x 0.85m wide x 3m high
U value = same for walls, floor and ceiling = 1.0 W/m^2 oC
ambient temp 2 oC to be raised to 18 oC so temp diff = 16 oC
air change rate = 2.0
ventilation factor = 0.33 W/m^3 oC

Heat requirement = fabric heat loss + ventilation heat loss

Fabric heat loss (W) = U value (W/m^2 oC) x area (m^2) x temp diff (oC)

W = 1.0 x 16.65 x 16 = 266W

Ventilation heat loss (W) = volume (m^3) x air change rate x temp diff (oC) x vent. factor (W/m^3 oC)

W = 3.825 x 2.0 x 16 x 0.33 = 40W

Heat requirement = 266W + 40W = 306W

So I'm calculating 300W but am considering fitting one 180W tubular heater (electric) and a timer, with the idea being to keep installation and running costs down and just remove the chill from the air. Toilet will be used perhaps twice a day.

running costs = 0.10 £/kWh x 0.180 kW x 8 hrs = £0.144 per day

No. He is saying why spend X amount on a small rad plus fitting when for 14 pence a day, no one will want to hang around in there reading the paper. Personally i think it would be cheaper to forget the heat and just lag the pipes:D

Bit of a waste of time calculating it out surely small rad TRV set at 2 would be fine, you can tell by looking at the room.

If its electirc it shouldn't need piping up just plug in and GO.
Say that was serious workage there, I'm heading your way but to see that illustrated I wish to have a marathon to make sure I got the backup.
Well done it looked illiustrating
But for the room size was the calculations easy or what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating calculation for toilet in a basement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

U
Hi All, I had a chrome towel rail installed in my bathroom last summer.... No surprise you may say, but was frrezing in there over the winter :mad: to the extent that with young children, I want to get this changed. bathroom is quite big, with a walk in shower in one room and big bath at...
Replies
Views
uncleg
U
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock