Search the forum,

Discuss Heating but no hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi experts,

i'm looking for some advice to get to the bottom of my boiler problem.

The boiler is a Glowworm Ultimate 40FF so a traditional NOT combi boiler.

The problem is i cant get hot water.
  • Call for heating alone and boiler comes on and heats up the rads.
  • Call for hot water alone and the boiler does nothing.
  • Call for both and the boiler does nothing
  • If the boiler is on because heating alone is called for and you then call for hot water too the boiler switches off.

My first thought was to change the motorised valve. Done (body and electric top part) and same issue
After this i thought it had to be electrical so the PCB. Changed and same issue.

Currently to get a tank of hot water i have to remove the motorised valve and manually move the 3 port valve. Then turn the boiler on to heating.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks
Mike

When you ask for hot water, power to activate the boiler should be coming via the cylinder stat.
Is the cylinder stat hard wired, or is it an rf link? (If the latter - batteries OK? Paired etc?)
Is the stat working and set at the correct temperature?

When you call for both rads and HW, the 3-port moves to the middle, the end microswitch in the 3-port that powers the boiler will open and and remove power from the boiler.
So what you describe makes sense if the cylinder stat is not providing power.

May require diagnosing with a multimeter etc?

When you ask for hot water, power to activate the boiler should be coming via the cylinder stat.
Is the cylinder stat hard wired, or is it an rf link? (If the latter - batteries OK? Paired etc?)
Is the stat working and set at the correct temperature?

When you call for both rads and HW, the 3-port moves to the middle, the end microswitch in the 3-port that powers the boiler will open and and remove power from the boiler.
So what you describe makes sense if the cylinder stat is not providing power.

May require diagnosing with a multimeter etc?
Hi Basher,

Thanks for replying.

I have just checked the (hard wired) cylinder stat and I get zero volts with hot water turned on the boiler.

When I turn off the hot water 240v is on the out side of the stat (so going to the motorized valve).

Any ideas? It seems the boiler isn't sending the power to the stat.....

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

Remove prog / timer and link out eg give live to the hot water on at the stat does it work if yes prog / timer gone

Be careful as your working around / with live parts

Remove prog / timer and link out eg give live to the hot water on at the stat does it work if yes prog / timer gone

Be careful as your working around / with live parts
Hi ShaunCorbs,

Fault found!

As I started to remove the programer I noticed how loose/unsecure it was.

I decided to try to push it together while moving the switch and the boiler sparked to life.

Thanks for the help
Mike

Reply to Heating but no hot water in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock