Search the forum,

Discuss Heated Towel Rails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robogk

Good morning and hello.
I wonder if anyone can assist.
For many years our heated towel rails have been running when either the CH or HW is running, so when the CH is off the towel rail will get warm, and similarly when the HW is off the towel rail still gets warm.
Now having had some work done and the original system has been altered I am told that the towel rail can only be fed from either CH or HW not both, unless we have a seperate programmer and pipe stat fitted. My argument is that it was never needed before so why now? Does anyobe have a solution as I'm being told it was working only because the system found a path by itself.
Thank you.

That is possibly true. It probably worked by gravity circulation before and now your system will be fully pumped so it does need to be on one circuit or the other.

Another alternative is the duel fuel type, which has an additional element in the base so you can leave it on all year round ( electric)

Hello, thanks for your reply
It was fully pumped before the only difference is that we have moved to mains pressure HW system and are adding 2 radiators and a heated towel rail in a loft conversion.

That is possibly true. It probably worked by gravity circulation before and now your system will be fully pumped so it does need to be on one circuit or the other.

Another alternative is the duel fuel type, which has an additional element in the base so you can leave it on all year round ( electric)

It is quite possible that previously you had the flow and return for the towel rails taken of the main flow and return after the pump but before the motorised valve(s). This would have meant the towel rails being on whenever the boiler was running, whether for heating or for hot water.

If you have changed the boiler for a combi to achieve the mains pressure hot water, then the former system can't be achieved as the equivalent valves are inside the boiler. If you have kept the boiler and changed to an unvented cylinder for the hot water, then the previous arrangement could be reinstated, but this might be expensive if new pipe runs are needed.

Thanks again we didnt have a combi but the HW is at mains pressure so not sure what type of system.... but I think youve answered the question so thanks for that.
Best regards

It is quite possible that previously you had the flow and return for the towel rails taken of the main flow and return after the pump but before the motorised valve(s). This would have meant the towel rails being on whenever the boiler was running, whether for heating or for hot water.

If you have changed the boiler for a combi to achieve the mains pressure hot water, then the former system can't be achieved as the equivalent valves are inside the boiler. If you have kept the boiler and changed to an unvented cylinder for the hot water, then the previous arrangement could be reinstated, but this might be expensive if new pipe runs are needed.

Part L of the building regulations 2013 states that each circuit should have time and tempreture control and the boiler to be interlocked if you download these it may become clearer. Regards k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heated Towel Rails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock