Search the forum,

Discuss Heat Pumps Installation and Certification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fishy

Hi Im new to the forum,

I have a few questions regarding Heat Pump installation and certification required. I am not a qualified plumber but i am thinking of trying to get involved in the renewable energy sector.

I understand that a certified plumber needs to perform the acctual installation and commision of the heat pump, but what about the site survey, and the design of the system?

Can this be performed by a non plumber with a suitible training course or would all of these phases of each project require full plumbers certification and training?

Thanks for reading, and any advice would be a great help to me.

Chris

usually for these type of courses there are minimum entry qualifications that you would need, meaning that it is for qualified plumbers to become approved installers. there may well be the option of attending without previous qualifications for example someone involved in selling the product who wanted an understanding of the system. but that would not lead to being approved to install. you would be better to speak direct to the training centre you would hope to attend and get the best information direct.

Thanks for your reply Simon,

I'll look into the training centres. I'm just trying to piece together what level of involvement someone without plumbing qualifications could have on a heat pump installation project. Is it literally just selling? And maybe MCS admin work?

Thanks again

Chris

You dont need any plumbing qualificatons to do a heat pump course you do a three day course and your'e deemed competent enough to apply for your MCS assessment, when you have your MCS you can then install heat pumps and claim the rhi for the customer all without having a clue what your'e doing, Thats the great thing about renewables you can get your tickets and qualifications in no time flash them to joe public and they think youre a competent and qualified engineer:icon12:

You dont need any plumbing qualificatons to do a heat pump course you do a three day course and your'e deemed competent enough to apply for your MCS assessment, when you have your MCS you can then install heat pumps and claim the rhi for the customer all without having a clue what your'e doing, Thats the great thing about renewables you can get your tickets and qualifications in no time flash them to joe public and they think youre a competent and qualified engineer:icon12:
Every course I know that give certified accreditation to MCS requirements, Require at least - Water regs, unvented, and the city & Guilds 2399 requires an NVQ 2 In plumbing.
I have researched this area quite intensively.
When the RHI release their facts and requirements in April (supposedly) then only C&G 2399 will be affiliated by MCS
Sorry for the rant but I have earnt most my living working with this so called new technology for over 10 years hence my desire to be in the know

I've been doing renewables for over ten years now but the taxi driver and fireman sat next to me on one of these courses obviously hadn't but they ended up with the same qualification, Water regs and unvented are only half a courses which nobody ever fails hopefully the c&g 2399 will change things but I doubt it as its just another short course with probably a 100% pass rate.

Last edited:
I agree but I bet neither of them made a living from it

ps pm sent

Is C&G 2399 available outside of England yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heat Pumps Installation and Certification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the Government in the UK needs to do more to make green energy heat pumps and other green central heating options more affordable for the UK customers...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock