Search the forum,

Discuss Heat proof "waterless" valve for Unvented cylinder T&P connection to soil stack in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

UK
I have just had an unvented cylinder fitted, and the T&P valve is connected as per regs via a tundish, and then into the soil stack using a copper pipe.

But I've had to ask the plumber to come back, because it looks like he hasn't done anything to prevent sewer gases from coming into the property via the tundish, and there is an odd smell in the cylinder cupboard.

From our quick chat on the phone, I'm not sure if he's familiar with so-called waterless valves, as recommended for this purpose, for example, here:
Guidance: Discharge from storage cylinders into pipework systems
(See also associated diagram below)

But when I have searched for such valves, there don't seem to be many advertised, and the HepVo ones for example get very poor reviews on Amazon, with people say they don't exclude sewer gases properly, or that they get blocked frequently.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good one that is suitable for this purpose, in terms of temperature tolerance and reliability, and that is also readily available from plumbers' merchants?

1573061536595.png

Hep20 or Tesla tundish

Are the only approved ones I know off

Hep V0 ‘s are fine . Things only get stuck in them when people put **** down sink wastes , on your discharge pipe it will be ok .

Any pictures of the install?
Have you got space for a hepvo trap?

What about the Hotun Highflow? I’ve never fit one myself, I’m more old school copper all the way to outside, but I’ve read about them. I’ve changed a few hep-vo’s when theres complaints from stinky airing cupboards, they were 10 or so years old and the rubber inside them had dried out and crumbled, probably from lack of servicing.

there was a lot of dislike of the hotun, not saying its crap or dissing it, never fitted one but my old partner said on his sites there was a lot who dissed it and said it wasnt up to the required standard, i thought it looked the business. but as i said never fitted one

there was a lot of dislike of the hotun, not saying its crap or dissing it, never fitted one but my old partner said on his sites there was a lot who dissed it and said it wasnt up to the required standard, i thought it looked the business. but as i said never fitted one

I've used them often enough in a workshop/training environment and they have worked as advertised. No serious splashing, not more so than a standard open tundish but I cannot speak to the longevity of them in service. I wonder if they are being dissed because they still splash (as most tundishes I find do) or because people are getting callbacks for smells where the seal is failing too soon?

I'm not saying they do fail, just speculating on that.

The first gen ones had problems weren’t rated past 15lpm so no good for an unvented discharge I don’t know if they have fixed the issue as I haven’t used one since mine failed

Found that online aswell

The Hotun has a one way valve inside and I thought the idea was to eliminate the need for any other kind of trap, keeping things compact?
Ah my apologies, I think the very early ones where just a tundish but I maybe wrong , but yes the valve makes sense. Personally I would still use a HepV0 , Ive never had a problem with one , no doubt I have blown it now saying that lol

What about the Hotun Highflow? I’ve never fit one myself, I’m more old school copper all the way to outside, but I’ve read about them. I’ve changed a few hep-vo’s when theres complaints from stinky airing cupboards, they were 10 or so years old and the rubber inside them had dried out and crumbled, probably from lack of servicing.

I fitted a Hotun once and it wads a load of S**t, no way it can take a decent flow rate without over spilling everywhere.

Screwfix do something similar, not sure whites its called now but Ive used it and it worked well.

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry, missed them until now because notification went into spam!

Re: photo of install - see below. As you can see, I have a Tundish, and limited space, so I'm thinking that the best thing from the point of view of space and accessibility, is something below the Tundish like in the diagram I posted for the guidance notes. (The scale isn't obvious from my photo, but space and access is pretty tight).

The important thing is to exclude sewer gasses reliably, while of course being safe in the event of the T&P valve venting. Some reviews said that the HepVo ones didn't do that from the start.

The only ones Screwfix sell at the moment are Osma, but it doesn't say what temp it will withstand.

1573157585975.png

I fitted a Hotun once and it wads a load of S**t, no way it can take a decent flow rate without over spilling everywhere.

Screwfix do something similar, not sure whites its called now but Ive used it and it worked well.

My apologies, what I have here I misidentified as a Hotun tundish but it is actually an RWC manufactured one and it works well.

Yes I fit the Tesla ones as well there great nice and compact and works well

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry, missed them until now because notification went into spam!

Re: photo of install - see below. As you can see, I have a Tundish, and limited space, so I'm thinking that the best thing from the point of view of space and accessibility, is something below the Tundish like in the diagram I posted for the guidance notes. (The scale isn't obvious from my photo, but space and access is pretty tight).

The important thing is to exclude sewer gasses reliably, while of course being safe in the event of the T&P valve venting. Some reviews said that the HepVo ones didn't do that from the start.

The only ones Screwfix sell at the moment are Osma, but it doesn't say what temp it will withstand.

View attachment 41380
P.S. The tundish and associated pipe really are v hard to access without uninstalling the cylinder temporarily(!) So will one of these valves be OK near the soil stack on its side (see photo below, pipe going into black boss), or must they be installed vertically?
1573224717977.png

Attachments

• 1573224735118.png
    1573224735118.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
They need to be installed vertically, all types of tundish and waterless valves in this particular application must be installed vertically and the regulations specify this.

The tundish must also have a minimum of 300mm of vertical pipe below it before the first bend (if you do use a waterless trap, the trap can form part of that 300mm section). That first bend should also be a "pulled bend" as in made with a pipe bending machine although I believe a 90 degree fitting is acceptable as long as it can be shown not to back up and overflow the tundish in the discharge condition.

This is what i would use would definitely stop back smells and isn't open so no splash out either

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191108-201317_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191108-201317_Chrome.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 5
This is what i would use would definitely stop back smells and isn't open so no splash out either

not rated for unvented

Reply to Heat proof "waterless" valve for Unvented cylinder T&P connection to soil stack in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock