Search the forum,

Discuss Heat only boiler to combi upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I know I’m playing devil‘s advocate but what’s the point in buying a house with two bathrooms if you’re never going to use them both you might as well have bought somewhere smaller, I know that’s not the point in question but you seem to be trying to use every argument to justify a combi boiler when we are giving you the honest opinion that it’s not the best answer for your property. I realise your mate is giving you a good deal on it but don’t undersell your home for the sake of saving a few quid as you may find you’ll be ripping it all out and changing it in the future

I know I’m playing devil‘s advocate but what’s the point in buying a house with two bathrooms if you’re never going to use them both you might as well have bought somewhere smaller, I know that’s not the point in question but you seem to be trying to use every argument to justify a combi boiler when we are giving you the honest opinion that it’s not the best answer for your property. I realise your mate is giving you a good deal on it but don’t undersell your home for the sake of saving a few quid as you may find you’ll be ripping it all out and changing it in the future

I totally see your point, in the future we are planning on converting the loft so wouldn't want any tanks, i presume there are tanks in the loft? Is there a solution/setup where i just have the cylinder and boiler?

Seal your heating system - f&e tank goes
Install an unvented cylinder - cold water storage tank goes

Seal your heating system - f&e tank goes
Install an unvented cylinder - cold water storage tank goes

Ah ok, can you explain further when you say seal the heating system, what's needed to do that?

So i can get rid of both tanks in the loft? And get an unvented cylinder?

Can you recommend an unvented cylinder and boiler?

Is there alot of alterations to the pipe work to do this? Any idea of costs?

What's the maintenance compared to a combi?

Its one bath and a separate electric shower in another room but definitely won't be used at the same time. Maybe on the odd rare occasion.

30-35kw vs going for the 40kw will there be any advantages?

In my opinion unless you are going to be trying to run 2 taps at a time most people wouldnt notice they are getting 13/14ltrs a min compared to 16. Yes your bath may take longer to run by 2/3 minutes but every time you use a basin etc you wont be using it to it's full potential.

As you have said you are looking to extend my advice would be to go down the unvented cylinder route. Gets rid of you tanks in the loft gives you the best hot water.

Im swaying to go with an unvented cylinder, this is new territory for me? I didn't know i could remove the tanks in the loft

Can you recommend a cylinder? What size do i go for? What brand? Whats the difference between direct and indirect?

Im swaying to go with an unvented cylinder, this is new territory for me? I didn't know i could remove the tanks in the loft

Can you recommend a cylinder? What size do i go for? What brand? Whats the difference between direct and indirect?

Get a few quotes and they will advise you. You need someone who holds qualifications in both gas boilers and unvented cylinders.

Guys hate to say this, but appreciate all the advice, going with the unvented option will cost me considerably more, so will be going with the combi.

Just read this review on screwfix on the vogue c32 which is reassuring

Ive had this boiler installed just about 3 months now and couldnt be happier with it.
Its extremely capable and very functional considering the cheaper price tag it comes with.
It looks very modern which is exactly what we wanted and is very user friendly with its colour display and easy controls.
It has many useful energy saving functions like its ability to modulate higher and have a pre-heat function to always keep the water hot for your demands, saving on wasted water.
If installed with the approved filter aswell you get an extended warranty of 10 years which is really good. Obviously you have to have it serviced every year to maintain it aswell.
We have recently installed a new bathroom suite and built a wetroom both with VERY high flow demanding taps and shower heads.
The boiler is more than comfortable in keeping up with both flow demand and evenly maintaining water temperature.
Overall i would say this is a great boiler with many perks and is fit for any 3/4 bed house with 1 or 2 bathrooms. "

But it won’t be capable if your mains isn’t up to it. And I hate to say it but that last sentence about serving a house with 2 bathrooms makes me think it’s someone from Ideal that’s posted it.

Get a container you know he volume of and fill it from an outside tap ideally and time it.

Ha ha buddy you are on a professional/diy plumbing site I don’t think any of the guys here are going to say that the combi is the way to go

I would say that to get the full dhw output at the boiler (40kw) you would probly need nearer 19 litres/minute at the mains outlet. If you are getting a lower flow look at the 32kw version or consider adding a pumped accumulator

I'm smelling DIY gas work about to take place.

1st of all a mate was going to sell him a 40kw boiler cheaper than anyone else could ever get one now looking at screwfix to buy a boiler.

Had a person lined up to convert from cylinder to combi for £600!

I'm out :cool:

Lol i was looking for reviews on the boiler in question no harm in doing that! How have you come to that conclusion by me just posting a review that i found on screwfix if it was DIY i wouldn't have raised the point!

Thanks for your input thus far

Yes. All of these things are relocatable in 95% of cases. Your limit is your budget.

Easy way to test how long to fill a 1l bottle for 16lpm your looking for around 4 seconds maximum

Reply to Heat only boiler to combi upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock