Search the forum,

Discuss Heat exchanger for new boiler on legacy open vent system in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We are planning to replace a 50-year old boiler for the communal heating-only (no hot water) of a residential block of 12 flats with 60 radiators. We have an open vent system. Our heating engineer recommends the GB162 100KW, WITHOUT a plate heat exchanger, because he says that heat exchangers are unreliable. The specs of the GB162 require a sealed system, and from what I have read separating the two networks is advisable. What advice do you have regarding a plate heat exchanger vs no plate heat exchanger in relation to a legacy open vent system?

Thanks,

Plate the system and keep the old open vent

As above use plate separation. Have the boiler loop on a sealed system and keep the old system open vented. That way you save pressurising the old system which could find leaks and also save the boiler from an almost certainly fouled to a certain degree original heating system.

Thanks all. How can I ensure that the new plate heat exchanger does not get clogged up? Beside a good magnetic filter, any other reccomendations?

What do you think of the Magnaclean CMX, which can also filter the water with replaceable filters?

Or the spirotech dirt and air separator?

I personally think spirotech are much better products and have a whole host of products for various requirements.
I would install some kind of dirt/air separation on the open vented system as like I said a 50 year old plus system will have a certain amount of fouling in it. The plate will always be at risk of fouling but more often than not if they get clogged they can be flushed through before seeking a complete replacement, not always though.
Again on the boiler side some kind of dirt/air separation but providing that small loop is flushed after install and properly water treated, you shouldn't get any problems.
The boiler side should have an auto top system installed as well.

For those with a commercial ticket wouldn't you want some built in redundancy, ideally cascade a couple of smaller units not to mention the other advantages of cascading?

A fine strainer filter and regular cleaning or replacement of the gause

Thanks all.

I agree that 2 boilers would makes sense. But I am dealing with an irrational co-director who would not appreciate this, and need to resolve more pressing issues for now. Though, I will still propose it.

The SpiroTrap Dirt Separator with magnet seems interesting. Has anyone had experience with that for protecting a plate heat exchanger?

Plate for sure. Even 2. With 2, one can be removed for cleaning while leaving the system operational.

You either get “disposable” plates and bin it once clogged past it’s cleanable state and renew.

Or a phe with seperatable plates/gaskets which can be disassemble/cleaned/new gaskets/reassembled. This cleaning can take up to a day and is where a second phe is beneficial.

ok thanks. Other than protecting the boiler, is there any other reason for using a plate echanger as opposed to not using one to separate the network?

Also, how do the waterways of the plate heat exchanger compare to a commercial boiler's waterways, such as the GB162?

ok thanks. Other than protecting the boiler, is there any other reason for using a plate echanger as opposed to not using one to separate the network?

Also, how do the waterways of the plate heat exchanger compare to a commercial boiler's waterways, such as the GB162?
Protecting the boiler is the priority. I can assure you that if you don’t, you’ll need new boilers within 5 years on the system you’ve described.

The 50 year old boiler will have a cast iron heat exchanger that were built like a tank.

They could put up with all the crap in the system. A new boiler won’t handle an old system like that and you’ll never flush it clean enough to do without the plate.

Not long ago I’ve had to remove a 3 year old 65kw boiler for the same reason. It was installed directly (with a magnetic filter) to the old system. 3 years was as long as it lasted!

I got an exterior area roofed and created a boiler room. Downsized the boiler to two smaller ones (redundancy), added a low loss headed, magnetic filters, strainers and plate heat exchangers to ensure the customers investment is protected.

This is the 3rd install I’ve done like his for this customer as he now understands the benefit of spending that extra to prolong the life of his equipment.

Few pics if you’re interested.

34EA03B5-6BED-485C-9F8C-1C3104C3D16A.jpeg
ABB49F32-FD14-4C35-BE8C-A859566C0273.jpeg
0D4876F1-0E7D-441F-9B9A-2E590276CCF4.jpeg
6FA71ABE-2672-4222-8B6F-4823234E5ABD.jpeg
17CC5C63-D644-41D8-BCD2-0C1790AECDFB.jpeg
7FC913AB-A55D-4681-86CF-DD0CB71200E3.jpeg
FEDE96E4-F0DC-4535-8875-16AC9B68D69C.jpeg
9F58EC9E-9249-4EB3-886C-6EA6EBD7FBB0.jpeg
4ADE2DCE-9414-4977-8528-12911FEFEE2D.jpeg

Protecting the boiler is the priority. I can assure you that if you don’t, you’ll need new boilers within 5 years on the system you’ve described.

The 50 year old boiler will have a cast iron heat exchanger that were built like a tank.

They could put up with all the crap in the system. A new boiler won’t handle an old system like that and you’ll never flush it clean enough to do without the plate.

Not long ago I’ve had to remove a 3 year old 65kw boiler for the same reason. It was installed directly (with a magnetic filter) to the old system. 3 years was as long as it lasted!

I got an exterior area roofed and created a boiler room. Downsized the boiler to two smaller ones (redundancy), added a low loss headed, magnetic filters, strainers and plate heat exchangers to ensure the customers investment is protected.

This is the 3rd install I’ve done like his for this customer as he now understands the benefit of spending that extra to prolong the life of his equipment.

Few pics if you’re interested.

View attachment 61320View attachment 61318View attachment 61319View attachment 61321View attachment 61322View attachment 61323View attachment 61324View attachment 61325View attachment 61326

I like the reverse return to llh from boilers 👍

@Timmy D : That is an impressive piece of work.

Other than redundancy, is there any other benefit from having two boilers (say 50kw) instead of one (100kw)?

Obviously redundancy means if one fails there's a back up but with a decent control system the boilers firing can be prioritised or staggered, so the loads are equally shared throughout a season, hopefully prolonging the life of the boilers. Further more if you only need part load, say on a warmer day only one boiler will be firing but in extreme weather two can be called upon.

@Timmy D : That is an impressive piece of work.

Other than redundancy, is there any other benefit from having two boilers (say 50kw) instead of one (100kw)?

Thank you.

I changed career at 33 and did that install after 3.5 years.

There are things I’d do a little different now but as they say, every day’s a learning day.

The install performs as expected and the buildings demand is met.

Redundancy is the primary reason, if one one boiler, could the building cope with no heating/hot water for potentially a few days.

Other concerns could be the flue. Just quoted a job where they wanted 2 x 80kw boilers. This meant more difficult flueing than if we put in 3 x 48kw/64kw.

Also cost, commercial boilers cost more to install/maintain.

Forgetting about gas pipe volume limits, 2 smaller boilers may keep the instal in the domestic range, rather than commercial.

Like I’ve said above it all comes down to the buildings requirement/non requirement for an uninterrupted boiler supply.

One block of studio flats we look after has 1 x 100kw commercial and 2 x 30kw domestics.

Reply to Heat exchanger for new boiler on legacy open vent system in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock