• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Have I hired a cowboy? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Your boiler should have a pressure gauge, it'll rise and fall a bit when heating turns on and when the system cools. Just keep an eye on it to see if it falls alot more than through normal use.
Qe don't have a combi boiler. It is an open system. Shall I listen for the header tank in the loft filling once the heating is on? Shall I try and make him hang around for a while 9nce it is all on?

Well it's all got very heated. He says the large pipe is leaking further down and he is no longer going to work for free to fix it all. All I have asked is that he fixes the compression joints that he put in in the first place, that are still leaking! He is shouting over me and won't listen. Also he says he works for a company and blames them for things, but won't give us details of anyone else to contact in his company. I don't think it is a company, just him!

gmartine

Gas Engineer
Shame you've paid up. I'm not sure what else to suggest 'cept get him out and contact an emergency qualified plumber and pay the rate for a fix. However you said he's guaranteed the work so he is obliged to at least leave you in a slightly better state of repairs, is it in writing at least? Don't need to answer that...

Shame you've paid up. I'm not sure what else to suggest 'cept get him out and contact an emergency qualified plumber and pay the rate for a fix. However you said he's guaranteed the work so he is obliged to at least leave you in a slightly better state of repairs, is it in writing at least? Don't need to answer that...
I know! I am writing off the £427 as an expensive lesson learnt. I have contacted another plumber through a recommendation and he is coming to have a look later. Thanks for all your help and support, and being a listening ear. It has been very much appreciated 🙏

scott_d

Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know! I am writing off the £427 as an expensive lesson learnt. I have contacted another plumber through a recommendation and he is coming to have a look later. Thanks for all your help and support, and being a listening ear. It has been very much appreciated 🙏
Good luck
As someone mentioned above some push fit fittings and flexible pipe might give you a temp solution until a permanent repair/repipe can be done

Ric2013

Plumber
Imperial pipe should not be an issue. I have transition couplings in the van as I know local merchants don't always carry them, but they are cheap enough to always have a couple on hand. Perhaps I am unusual in carrying stock on a just-in-case basis, but I feel part of the job is being prepared.

New plumber has got boiler working and water running, leaving just a very small leak (as didn't have time to fix at such short notice today. 28mm pipe dips down in the middle of the bathroom and then flattens out again, making an s shape and the leak is on the bottom bend. He is coming back tomorrow to investigate further. The pipe sticking out of the wall is imperial so he is also getting a transition coupling to try and sort, as the welding done by the first plumber still has a tiny leak.

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Not the easiest thing to try and repair you need a few tricks of the trade for a satisfactory outcome , your plumbers used to many compression fittings we all use em on the odd occasion to get ourselves out of trouble, if used correctly and tighten with 2 spanners it's very rare they leak I don't have a problem with using em 👍 kop

Reply to Have I hired a cowboy? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net